Quantcast

Your opinion on KYMCO atv?

FordFairLane

Newbie to this forum and to riding. Looking to buy my very first atv and I have a budget and prefer new since I don't want to buy someone else's junk. A place a couple if hours from me has some 2013 kymco wheelers on clearance to make room for 2014 models. So he has a 450i mxu 4x4 for $4,500. 450i maxxer 4x4 for $5k. And a 500i mxu 4x4 for $4,800. That's his OTD price I pay taxes and registration on my own.

Since this is my first wheeler I don't want to spend more that $5k and these have a 1 year warranty and I can extend it to 6 years for $850. The guy says these are just arctic cats for 20 percent less. According to him they have been making 500 and smaller atvs for arctic cat and Kawasaki for years now.

I'm really just going to use this to plow and do trail riding. Any experience with them?

IMO, I would buy a honda, 450 or under, you could get a super deal on a good used one for the money you are willing to put out, shop around.

i know the chinese brands are getting better with quality, but i would bet a 5 year old honda will outlast any new chinese brand 4 times over. i owned 2 hondas, they are bullet proof, they may get scratched and dinged up, but they just keep on going and going with minimal repair with decent maintenance.

again, JMHO ...

The problem is I don't know squat about small engines so I can't do much on figuring what us wrong if it's busted. That's why I'd rather get new so I can see how much I use it trouble free if it gets a lot of use give it to my wife in a few years and buy something bigger. But for now I really just want to know what people with kymcos think about their wheeler.

i hear ya ... for sure i do ...

i think of all the chinese quads, Kymco has the best name for quality and reliability. it wasnt always like that i know. but, like new products being produced in their infancy, there were querks and problems. i think the biggest problem still with the chinese atvs are the electrical components. they are inferior to their japanese counterparts ... but they may be getting a handle on that now.

5 grand for a brand new quad is a great deal, all i would say is to make sure your dealer will go to bat for you when you have issues. when do you plan on buying? will love to see the posts and pics of your excursions !!

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Kymco and Honda was together at one point. Alot of Honda stuff can work.

I busted a axel at Red Bud MX. The next morning I was at the line with a 450R axel in it. A lil grinding on the 450R axel nut spacer is all it took.

They have a good dealer network.

Any Arctic cats out there? Some of them and others use Kymcos.

• 2 months later...
Did you end up getting a Kymco? Apparently Kawasaki uses them to build the 2014 Brute Force 300. It has been getting really good reviews.

Sorry for the delay but yes I did buy a kymco mxu 450i 2012 for $4,000 OTD. Put a plows on it with a universal mounting kit and got to push some snow last year. Only has a 48" blade but it pushes the snow like it isn't even there. I have drove about 80 miles only on it so far but runs good drives nice and as much as I figure I will use it it will be more than enough wheeler for me.

As mentioned parts aren't "easy" to come by unless you go thru the dealer. There's three within 75 miles from me (I live in the boonies) or this website which seems to give you access to anything.

Kymco Utility ATV Parts

There is a ATV repair place about 8 miles from me on a nice stretch on the highway and he is looking into starting to sell ATV's and he wants to start with Kymco because of the price to get a franchise, local market, and he owns a couple of kymcos and says they are better than the new polaris since they moved to mexico and in the same league as AC, and Kawi for a lot less.

I look at it like this my buddy spent 10k+ on a Can Am and he had that thing in the shop a half a dozen times the first 250 miles and he does not beat on anything he owns. Mine starts right up and I spent 4k. Trust me if I have any problems I will post them far and wide on the internet but so far so good.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ive had my MXU 450i for a couple of years now and its kept in an unheated shed. It has never not started on the first stab of the button,I haven't been able to stick it, even with stock tires, and have not had 1 mechanical issue. Cant say the same for the Yamaha warrior I bought new in 96 or the wolverine I traded it in on a few years later. The closest thing to this machine reliability-wise I have had to this is a 2000 Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4 That I bought after some jerkoff rolled it on himself in front of his wife, who promptly sold it to me for $2000.00 with 2.5 hrs on it, just had to change the front rack and bars. Oh yeah, and I bought this Kymco new, in box, for $4500.00 with a free Warn winch and 1.9 financing. Use it to plow snow in the winter with a 54" Warn front mounted blade and it never bogs down, 20"deep is deepest so far. It is very smooth and refined, although I admit the CVT transmission is weird to get used to, I am always looking to grab a gear. Bought my 6 yr old son the Mongoose 90 for his birthday, and it is the coolest little thing I've seen in a while. I cant say they are better than any of the other brands, but they defiantly are not junk and the price point makes them a great alternative to a hashed out bike that someone else already wore out. I know personally, at 45 yrs old, that my days of rebuilding a bike to go riding are over. I want get on it and go, and these are great for that. And this damn thing is pretty quick for a stock bike.....

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I owned a Mongoose 250 for a few years and sold it in 2010, it is still in use today.

Most of the smaller bore Arctic Cats used Kymco engines. One I own is the 2010 366 with over 9,000 miles on it and still runs fine. This is very similar to the MXU and

some parts cross between the machines (such as the shocks and suspension system.

Mike

• Like 1

I owned a Mongoose 250 for a few years and sold it in 2010, it is still in use today.
Most of the smaller bore Arctic Cats used Kymco engines. One I own is the 2010 366 with over 9,000 miles on it and still runs fine. This is very similar to the MXU and
some parts cross between the machines (such as the shocks and suspension system.
Mike

Thanks! I did notice a little rattle/ping in the engine, sounds like a heat shield but it's not. Doesn't seem to effect anything and the previous owner drove it with no issues. Any thoughts?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm happy to read this. My local shop swears they are good machines. I trust them. I plan to get a pair and join the local 4x4 club. there are 500 miles of trails here. Anyone see a problem with going small? I have a Yamaha timerwolf 250cc. It's plenty. I see so many 600 and 800 CC machines, I want fuel economy and maneuverability. Any reason not to go small cc?

I had a new kymco mwu 500, after 1000 km the camshaft waw allready  broken........ (warranty), 500 km later something in the drivetrain was broken .......... (again warranty).

I sold it quickly before manufacterie warranty was over.

No more kymco for me again

Greeting from Belgium

although the Chinese machines are getting better i would stick with a good used reputable machine the quality of parts is much better and less prone to break downs
Kymco isn't Chinese and I understand they make parts for many of the big name reputable brands.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk