Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

gangle04

2002 Yamaha Big Bear - Clutch Slipping

i noticed my clutch slipping yesterday and trying to figure it out today. this makes no sense to me at all but i have it pinned down to when im in a higher gear 4th,5th, and turning left hard on the throttle??? i noticed when taking a corner in 5th drifting and all of a sudden it slipped and i could rev it over and over and it didnt fully engage untill i straightend out, so to put it to the test i found a big patch of snowy ice and started doing a big donut in 4th and hit a sandy part and it started slipping and kept slipping untill i straightened out, then did this a few more times to confirm......does this make any sence to anyone???? i also did it turning right to check if it does it then and i couldnt get it to do it....i also made sure my foot wasnt pulling up the shift lever because i convinced myself i must of been doing that and im not, theres no sounds to indicate splines worn out and slipping just the sound of the motor revving any help would be appreciated, im going to go tear into the clutch right now and see what i can find

also to add i did just change the oil and i didnt use atv oil but why would it do this when turning left???

could it be the force pushing oil to be higher on the clutch pack???

the atv oil is specifically designed for the transmission, your motor will work fine, but you get slipping with the transmission and it eventually will ruin it ...

ya i figured that but ive ran this oil before and even syn on my wolverine by accident and it didnt make it slip like this it feals like its pretty much disengaging the clutch (barely any drag on the motor) then all of a sudden engaging when it stops slipping, thats why i figured my foot was pulling up on the gear shifter...i took to cover off yesterday and both the cent. clutch and clutch pack still have abit of pad on em

there is an adjustment. sitting on the bike, on your right, behind your foot, there is a nut with a slotted centre. i think to tighten it is to the right. when snug, back off a quarter to half turn. that might help, not sure ...

ive done it tightend it so much i have to wait for the right rpm to shift it helps but went out riding again and in 5th drifting left again it seams like clutch disengages quit a bit, makes no sence, soon as i straighten out clutch grabs, its also alot easier to shift into 4th n 5th then 1,2,3

i have 2 parts bikes mabye ill put the clutch off the kodiak in it and switch to proper oil.....do u kno if a wolverine clutch would be interchangable?? pretty sure its the same bottom end except h/l option

Edited by gangle04

im not sure if they interchange. you will be able to see if its worn out once you take a look, and it could be the oil didnt matter about slipping, maybe your clutch was on its way out ... ???

You've got 2 clutches in there - the clutch pack and a centrifugal clutch (that's why you don't have a clutch lever for starting or shifting). Spinning hard left would cause the oil level on the Right to increase.... maybe enough that it immerses part of the centrifugal clutch - causing it to slip? And yeah, I don't think the automotive oil is helping - it's got friction modifiers for engine parts that don't get along with clutches (which need friction to work).

i kno0 theres 2 clutches as posted above i took the cover off, that does make sense the oil level rising on the clutch side of crank case pushing this bad oil up to cent clutch, ill change the oil when i have a chance n see if it helps...it seems to be happening less now those additives are probably breaking down, i just used petro can cheapo stuff because i got a case for free

oh well swap em out of my parts bike should of just switched the hole motor out i took the head, cyl, and piston off it just last week, hopefully the clutches are in as good as condition as the top end

Ok got the clutches out of the wolverine and they look great compared to the bb the basket is almost full where as the bb had 3/4" space im thinking the clutch was already done no my question is is the nut that holds on the cent. Clutch backwards threads?? Had to abuse that motor to get clutches out and cant do that with bb n i need the cent clutch off to get at clutch pack....any help would be apreciated thanks

Figured it out got clutches off kodiak there the same clutch pack and cent clutch on all 3 bikes..different basket on the wolverine driven clutch...gonna use the centrifugal clutch off the kodiak and clutch pack off the wolverine .....to get the driven clutch off the kodiak what do you people us to hold it still to get not off??? My impact gun is air and i domt have access to air at this point(between jobs)