Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

vcrazy8

1998 Suzuki KQ - Brake Problem

I replaced the front and rear brakes on my 98 King Quad 300 today. The right front is dragging. it had plenty of clearance when I installed the drum. it turned normal until I tried to test drive it. Wheel cylinders were dry and not leaking. Also even with a dragging Right front brake they are weak. I wonder if it is something with the self adjuster and how can I get the drum back off. I just recently bought it for cheap because he got laid off of work so I don.t know any history on it. It didn't do it before but the brakes were very weak and thats why new brake shoes. old oned wereabout 60% gone. Thanks.

you can adjust them with the drum on with the inspection cover rubber boot off. turn the star wheel to adjust tight or loose, probably have to bleed the fronts again ...

There is no round star wheel adjustment like on a cars drum brakes. it is a strange ratcheting gizmo. I wish it had disc brakes.

Thanks for that info. I have been turning wrenches on cars and bikes for over 30 years. The first thought when I saw the adjuster was that crack had made its way to Japanese engineers. I need to figure out why after using the brakes it stays tight. I must have put something together wrong. it did not do it until I installed new brake shoes.

Edited by vcrazy8

Thanks for that info. I have been turning wrenches on cars and bikes for over 30 years. The first thought when I saw the adjuster was that crack had made its way to Japanese engineers. I need to figure out why after using the brakes it stays tight. I must have put something together wrong. it did not do it until I installed new brake shoes.

The adjusters are different left and right. Do you have the Clymer manual?

No I don't have a Clymer manual. I got the drum off using the image you showed. I removed and media blasted and cleaned the the adjusters. I figured out how they work. It is a complicated little contraption. The brakes work better but still seem weak. Maybe I need to let them wear in some. No matter how hard I apply the brakes I can't get them to lock up. I just got this atv last week so I will be posting other questions as I find more problems. I got it real cheap because it would not start. The intake valve had 0 lash. I adjusted it and it fired right up and runs good.

You can download the manual from the sticky thread in this section. 2nd item on the list. I'm an airplane mechanic and am all about RTFM.

Good news on the brakes. Yeah, front drum brake system, what a joke. I assume you made sure the pistons are not seized. If one of the adjusters doesn't lock, then the shoes will go full limp every time. That side will use all the hydraulic volume and will not actuate the other side. Use DOT4 fluid and lastly, bleed the snot out of it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dra O
      posted a while back - it was running at one point - I have all the plastic shroud off - it's down to frame and engine now
      -fuel pump: when line from petcock is attached, no fuel comes out other side to carb; the line to the carb is open (can blow through it); I thought when I cranked engine that the pump would spit out fuel on other side but it does not; I removed fuel pump and opened it up - diaphragm looks good - but internal areas had lotsa calcification build up - I cleaned this out and dried it good - the clear plastic pieces (?diaphragms) aren't broken - the spring w/ steel ball on end moves freely; am putting it back on tomorrow; but can anyone answer about the pump? isn't it supposed to pump fuel through it... to other side... to carb? puzzling
      -along with fuel pump: I replaced petcock 3 weeks ago (gas tank had rusty fuel in bottom - cleaned it out prior to new petcock); when I turn petcock arrow NOT to on or reserve, fuel comes out of line; when I turn it to on or reserve, fuel doesn't come out; puzzling
      -I don't know what's on back of fuel pump - it's a valve that has a hose coming out of it - looks like it goes to engine/carb - I haven't traced this out yet - what is it?
      -can squirt gas on air filter and engine will run for 2-3 seconds then stop - fuel in top of carb (under diaphragm) does same
      -it likely needs carb rebuild - will get to this - but something isn't allowing fuel to get from fuel pump to carb
      -I THINK it has a mikuni model x carb - diaphragm is ID 26mm  OD 68mm - hard to find inexpensive diaphragm, I guess because it's a model x
      -last thing - I replaced solenoid due to old one clicking; I HAVE to be charging the battery or it won't start/turn over - battery just goes dead; but if charging, it'll turn over nicely; i'm guessing it's a bad battery
      -any help appreciated - I've never owned an ATV before - inherited this beast from grandparent in-law
    • By bradleyheathhays
      Damn, it took 30 years of driving to cause my first accident, and on Friday the damn 13th. Did a low speed rear end into the back of a lifted truck and got into it's trailer receiver. The only place it made contact with was at the very front center of the hood close to where it latches. Unfortunately the impact was enough that there's a longitudinal hump in the middle of the hood now, bowed 6 inches on each side above the quarter panels, which weren't involved at all thank God. Both my headlights are cracked at the top, but not because they got hit; I think it was because the hood and it's latch was pushed back during the collision possibly deforming the support structure, causing the to separate. The hood is lifted up about 3 inches above each headlight and when looking in at the support material just behind each headlight, one side shows cracks and the other cracks and about a 1/2 gap in the material. Can't tell but it may resemble fiberglass, not really sure? My best guess is that the whole front bumper is gonna have to come off and that entire front support piece be replaced. Any advice on how hard this can be? I do a lot of my own work but I really don't want to be getting into this especially with the weather getting so bad now.

When I go junkyard shopping for parts, what year Tauruses are compatible with my '02?
    • By PolarisRich
      I thought I would make a quick "How-to" on setting wheel alignment since I was flipping my tie rod ends and I was going to have to re-align the wheels anyways.
      Here's some of the tools you will need...

1.) Start with the ATV on a smooth and level surface, like a cement garage floor or driveway.

2.)Center up (Eyeball It) the handle bars and lock them into place with 2 ratchet straps, one on each side of handle bars. This of course prevents them from moving when your adjusting the tie-rods.

3.) Place two Jack Stands approximately 2 feet in front of the atv even with the outside edge of the two front wheels.

4.) Wrap a length of string all the way around the ATV and Jack Stands, Start and end at the rear hitch. Make sure the string is the same height from the ground on all 4 wheels. I like to attach a few elastic bands to both ends of the string before attaching the string to the hitch. This makes it easier to adjust the strings when moving the Jack Stands.

4.) Break lose the inner and outer tie-rod nuts. NOTE! Make sure you use 2 wrenches, one on the nut and one on the ball joint. Damage can occur by only using one wrench.

5.) Adjust the string by moving the Jack Stands in or out untill the string just touches both of the side surfaces of the rear tires on each side of the ATV. This will take some time to get it right but it needs to be done!

Check manufacturers wheel alignment specifications on your specific make and model before you adjust any components.
      For this wheel alignment I'm using the Polaris Specs which seems to be a common setting.
      Polaris - The recommended toe alignment is 1/8″ to 1/4″ toe out. This is a total amount, not per wheel.
      6.) On the front rim, measure the distance from the string to the rim at the front and rear edges of the rim. The rear measurement should be 1/16″ - 1/8″ (.2 to .3 cm) more than the front measurement.

7.) If an adjustment is necessary, Turn the tie rod itself with a wrench or your hand in small increments. It doesn't take much to move the tire a long way, so go slow. Keep re-checking your measurement's until you have a 1/16″ - 1/8″ differance to the string.

6.) Once your satisfied that you have the correct "Toe Out" measurements you can tighten up the inner and outter tie-rod nuts on both sides. AGAIN...make sure to use 2 wrenches.
      7.) Now take your ATV for a test drive to test your adjustments. If it still pulls one way or the other, just repeat the above steps to tweek the adjustments again utill your happy.
      The whole process only takes about 15-20 min.
    • By pcumby
      Hi guys I'm in the market for a new ATV.  I narrowed my choices down to King quad 750 Grizzly 700 and Rubicon 520,  I own a 2006 500 Rubicon right now and I like the reliability and power for plowing.  However it is not a capable ATV.  When quading with other guys it falls short with ride quality and ground clearance.   I also have a 500 King Quad 2015 which I like and will keep it for my wife.  It is very strong and reliable also.  However my plan is to sell my Honda Rubicon and replace it with a 2020 of one of the these mentioned above.  Can anyone give me their take on one or all of these machines and why you picked what you picked?
    • By DUBLT
      Looking to purchase a windshield for my ATV, suggestions of what to buy with quality in mind and will fit without doing any modifications. 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By arvellaspoon
      When I push down on the rear brake pedal, it makes the left hand brake very sloppy. Is there a way to adjust that? I have a 2007 Suzuki Vinson
    • By kingjosk12
      A week ago I could not even get close to starting it. But now I adjusted the valves (exhaust valve was not closed). i got it running but would not run without choke. i adjusted the float because it was to low tried starting it up again and it would not even start. So i went back and looked at the valves and the valve was now open again so i adjusted it and it started right up and ran perfect without choke. So i put it all back together thinking it was ready to go. Started it up and let it run for a little bit. i turned it off and tried starting it again there was NOTHING. took it apart and there was 0 compression and the exhaust valve was open again. I am completely lost need help PLEASE!!!:aargh:
    • By ut1w7b
      I have a 94 sportsman 400. It sat for several years before i got it. I have cleaned the carb it will start and run for about 5 min then it will flood. I have torn it down and cant see anything wrong. has anyone else ran into this problem any hel would be great.
    • By dblbassdrumer
      [ame]
      [/ame] only when u pull back in the clutch does it make this noise and wanna take off
    • By Percherongal
      Turn on key, put it in Neutral, lights on steering column light up. NO head lights and the electric start switch will not work. Let is sit for a few hours, started right up. Sat over night and same issue. Checked fuses and they were good. Battery is giving 12 volts. Opened up the ignition assembly and it isnt getting any power it comes up as a .01 on the volt meter. Pulled the spark plug to check for spark and NO spark. Will not pull start either. Unhooked the battery checked the spark while trying to pull start it and got a weak spark.
      Pushed it into the garage and it sat for 2 days. Turned the key and pushed the start button and it cranked but the spark plug wire was off so plugged the spark plug back in and pushed the start button and nothing. If you jump the solenoid it will crank over but not start. Soo confused , anyone have any ideas?