Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

gixxer1000

2002 Yamaha Warrior - Hard To Start

there are inspection covers front and back of the cylinder head, 3 bolts holding each on i think. be careful with rubber gasket taking the covers off. you have to get the engine at TDC. the intake valve is 0.06-0.07mm, the exhaust is 0.16-0.20mm.

Tryied yesterday. I don't think I set the intake valve right. White smoke commin tru the carb. Trying again. Today. Pretty sure that the problem.

K so valves are set and same thing. Really hard to start but runs. Seems like its not gettin enough power so when I hook it to the truck and boost it it sounds better but still hard to start. New bat carbs cclean boots not cracked. Coil maybe. Just not enough juice to the plug to get it goin?

Also how would 1 go about checkin to see if. The timing. Is on? The. Guy I got it from. Thinks its cammed so if they. Put it back together and its advanced a tooth it. Would cause these problems to.

01. remove gas tank and tank cover,make sure gas is off and gas line is disconnected

02. remove left side plastic cover of tranny

03. remove both valve covers

04. remove the plastic screw that covers the timing hole and line the flywheel up so the "T" shows, make sure the valves move a little, this means you are on the compression stroke which is where you need to be, if not turn the bolt counter clockwise one turn until the "T" shows again and the valves should have a little play to them

05. take feeler gauge and gap the valves right (.065 MM intake and .17 MM exhaust)

06. check the valve gaps before installing the valve covers once more to be safe

07. install valve covers, after this turn the machine on so you can hear the valves, if they are loose you can still tighten them before the plastic is on, make sure timing hole is covered before turning on

08. install the left side tranny cover

09. install the timing hole screw

10. install gas tank and cover, and connect gas hose

11. and this should be it

when you take the cam sprocket out there is a pin that is sticking out of the right side of the hole were the sprocket is bolted in. just match up the little hole on the sprocket and the pin on the wheel and your good. make sure the "T" is on the mark too ...

K so I had done all that. There's a little notch at like 11 o'clock on the head by the cam gear. I lined the litrle pin up with thatt. It was off one tooth. Then reset the valves. Seems better but not right. Took the carb apart and there a 32 pilot jet!! As per manual said 42.5. Why would someone do that?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Admin
      We would like to wish everyone a Fantastic Memorial Day Weekend!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!

• By amharrison24
      i have a 91 moto 4 100. has electric start only. for as long as i could remember we have always pushed start it. after riding for while you shut it off. you are able to hit the start button and it will start right up. anyone know where i should start with fixing this issue? im fixing it up for my niece. thank you in advance.
    • By Steven Urban
      First time using this forum.  Owned a Kawasaki dirt bike once, had no issues.  But I picked up this 4 wheeler at an auction.  They stated it ran, but only needed a battery.  Well I do not believe that was all true.

Some pictures are attached.  Not sure why, but the whole air filter stuff was removed.  They had some small thing inserted as a make shift air filter.

I purchased a battery to try this all out.  Waiting to return it and get the proper size, as it was too big for the battery box.  But here is my issue I had while the battery was connected.

1 - The lights on the steering column did not come on.  Not sure if they work or not.

2 - The starter solenoid seems to be bad.  I have a new one on order. 

3 - In the pick, there is another rusted part.  Not sure what that part is or what it is used for.

4 - What is the 12v rectifier?  square bodied part.

So when I hooked the battery up.  Pushing the start button did nothing.  Pulling the cord to try and pull start, it turned, but would never fire.  I have put in a new spark plug as well, it looked worn out.  With electric start, I crossed over the posts on the start solenoid, it turned over, but would never fire and start.

I have read a few other threads and it stated something about needed the neutral light on.  SOmething about a kill switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

• By Mike Strayhorn
      last year I bought led lights when I was riding my 4 wheeler the lights started getting dim shut off
      now my 4 wheeler will not start the battery is hot everything is dead I checked the fuse and its good 
      would there be another fuse I am missing I'm took the led bulbs out and replaced them with the ones that was in there 
      wonder what meh problem is

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Jean de la Chevrotière
      View File Polaris 700 2002 Owner's manual
      Polaris 2002 700 Owner's Safety and maintenance manual
      Submitter Jean de la Chevrotière Submitted 12/01/2018 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By Jean de la Chevrotière
      Polaris 2002 700 Owner's Safety and maintenance manual
    • By priglmeier
      I own a 2002 Can-Am Quest 650.
      It will start if you massage the throttle a bit and it will continue to run. BUT if you let go of the throttle and try to let it idle it will always die warm or cold.
      It has Non-Oxy premium gas, a new gapped NGK plug, a new carb (as of today) and fresh fluids. After installing the new carb it runs exactly the same.

I only have a few things that I have observed since the new carb:
      The choke still doesn't do anything. It has a good cable and it is hooked up. It on fully off. There is a cable in the top, front of the engine that splits into two connectors. The connected side is in the photo. The other side has the yellow banded section and is not connected. I do not see anything in range of this connector so I don't know if this is normal or not??? The original carb wasn't really dirty or clogged. I'll use it as a spare. I don't see this cable and connectors listed in the Can-Am shop manual. Looking for some help. I want to ride!

• By Billie
      :confused:need a repair manual or help in what to look for thank you Bill
      for you muddober to make clear to you the neutral light and the gear light
      do not light up win shifting fuses are good Iuse my CAt for hunting im dissable the atv is my leag s thank you