Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

bigjigjim

klf300b constant 12v on spark plug wire

Trying to resurrect an old Bayou and I found that there is a constant 12v coming out of the plug wire? This is even happening with cdi removed.

Is an 88, I'm boggled... I download the Clymer from here I'm a day of away from pulling every wire and redoing the whole thing...

if its getting power to the coil all the time, maybe start with ignition switch (cleaning contacts) to try and stop the power flow ... leaking from somewhere ...

dont know how it got to be a reported post, but here it is from bigjigjim ...

If I kill the ignition everything is off. Once I turn ignition I can turn it over but there is no spark... I checked cdi, regulator, and stator all of which appear to be doing there job? When I tested the ignition coil it showed resistance so i flipped the meter over to DC to see if it was just a bad plug (which is brand new) and as soon as I touched a ground it was reading 12v without even cranking it over. I hit the starter to see if there was any change or pulse and even while cranking it over there isa steady 12v, no fluctuation, pulse, delay, just a steady flow of 12v. Unhooked cdi and repeated previous actions with no change in results. Next thing i guess is to lock myself in the garage and rewire based on schematic found in the Clymer I downloaded here.

i think with the patience i possess, i might just look around for a good used wiring harness ...

My old man and I have a long going friendly competition to see who can wind up with the best bike for the least amount of $. This started about 20 years ago when we bought 3 1970 Yamaha Enduros that had been sitting behind an old ladies shed for over a decade. They had been sitting for soo long we literally had to dig them out because they had sunk in the mud up to the forks and frames. We paid $50 for the trio and spent 2 months wrenching and restoring. Replacement parts were either fabricated or found in a bone yard. By the time it was done we had $90 invested in 3 of the best running Vintage bikes I've ever seen.

Great bonding and learning time over the years and now that I have 3 boys and one on the way, I'm passing the hobby on to them... Best sight in the world is watching your 9 year old ride his $80, 90cc Sunl still covered in grease after fabricating a swing arm and rebuilding the carb. They don't always turn out the nicest machines but we have just as much fun riding them as we would on a new rig and get alot more pride and satisfaction out of it because we brought it back to life. Any knuckle head with a pay check can buy a quad, not a whole lot of guys are capable of bringing them back to life.

Anyway, I picked up the klf for $100 off cl, he went the next weekend and grabbed an `82 klt200 for $100. The bet on the table is whoever spends more $ making their bike reliable has to drive to the others house and trailer the winners bike to the farm for a weekend of trail riding and buy lunch at the greasy spoon we ride to. We live 3 hours away from each other and we both live 3 hours away from the farm. I was up there this weekend and his cdi is fried... If a rewire using factory harness gets the klf running I'll have bragging rights for a while.

Not to mention the previous owner painted the plastics of his klt black:no: and my klf plastics are original with no cracks! I'm kinda excited about getting it going:elefant: it'll be a real nice, all original Vintage

Edited by bigjigjim

Cdi = brand new

Stator = replaced wires from coil to connector, tested resistance to factory specs! Producing voltage

Pickup coil = producing voltage

Regulator=brand new

Ignition coil and plug=brand new

Kill switch is allowing it to turn over so obviously not an issue...

I've traced every single wire on this bike and rectified any bad spots and insured proper placement/connection on every single one.

I'm lost guys helpa brotha out?

if it was an aftermarket stator, i had to switch the two wires coming out of the cover (i think from the pick up coil) to a connector ... i had no spark before i switched them ...

Did you figure this out I have a 300 with the same problem and i am stumped . I have looked at everything even all the wiring amd cant see any problem . New stator , new cdi, new pickup and new coil everything cks good

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Brother Buddy Gardner
      Hello everyone! I recently purchased this quad for a mere 300.00 and it is pretty clean for the year. I bought it from a guy who bought it in a storage unit. He didn’t know anything about it. I got it home and noticed it did not have an ignition coil for the spark plug. I bought the ignition coil, a new battery, new CDI box, new starter relay, new safety neutral relay, new carb and so on... I got it to turn over, but when I pull the plug and check for spark I have nothing.. it has a non factory starter button that works when I push it and turns the engine over no matter if the key or stop switch is on or off..not sure what that’s all about, but it does turn over..just no spark at the plug. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    • By Tom Pavlak
      Hi Everyone - Need some help.
      Got a nice little 220...clean machine. wiring is a mess. I have a diagram however, the one I have has 4 wires coming from the ignition switch not 2 like mine. So, I cant trace wires properly.
      There is a white one that runs to the Solenoid, and a brown wire...from the Ignition...I dont know where its supposed to go. Also, on the Solenoid, there are 3 wires..W to ignition, B to start relay and B/Y runs up to the front of the machine...and is not plugged into anything...and there isnt a "Mate" missing it. How do they plug into the 4 open shovels by the 20A fuse?
      I'm pretty sure my Lights and start switch/Lights are correct.
      Problem I cant get anything...new battery...cant get the start button to work, cant get any power to the lights or switches...so I know something is not grounded or..
      Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      Tom
    • By 1911Neil
      I had a quad fall in my lap a couple weeks ago. The only things I knew about it was it was a Kawasaki Bayou 220, was in pretty rough shape and was free. I couldn't say no to a fun little project. I've been looking a different ATV forums gathering quite a bit of info and decided this was the one I wanted to join.
      Thanks to this forum, I found the VIN under about an inch of mud and cross referenced it to be a '98. It had been sitting outside for at least 5 years and was told it ran when parked, but had no brakes. Squirrels or mice had been chewing on the handlebar controls and it's generally just kind of beat up.
      So far, I've gone through the carb (not near as bad as I expected), freed up the brakes (will probably need new cables), replaced the spark plug, air filter, petcock and put a new battery in it.
      The gas tank had been empty and looked clean so I put some fresh gas in it and tried to crank it today. I got a neutral light, but the starter button did nothing. I tried pull-starting it and it wouldn't fire. I checked the plug and wasn't getting a spark. I started digging and found some potential issues and some definite problems.
      I have a wiring diagram I found on here but it's just a picture or scan out of a book and hard to read. I don't see a reference to a black/yellow wire, which is my first problem.
      First, it that a factory crimp? One of those wired looks like it goes to the connector in the 2nd pic. Is that just a spade lug type connector? I pulled on it with some needle nose pliers but it didn't seem to want to come off. In the 3rd pic, should there be a fourth wire?
      I've read through and bookmarked the threads Andrew Baker and Arizona have going but I figured I needed to start with these obvious issues first. I have lots of pictures, so if there is something else you want to see, just ask. If I don't already have a pic, I'll take one.

• By Steven Urban
      First time using this forum.  Owned a Kawasaki dirt bike once, had no issues.  But I picked up this 4 wheeler at an auction.  They stated it ran, but only needed a battery.  Well I do not believe that was all true.

Some pictures are attached.  Not sure why, but the whole air filter stuff was removed.  They had some small thing inserted as a make shift air filter.

I purchased a battery to try this all out.  Waiting to return it and get the proper size, as it was too big for the battery box.  But here is my issue I had while the battery was connected.

1 - The lights on the steering column did not come on.  Not sure if they work or not.

2 - The starter solenoid seems to be bad.  I have a new one on order. 

3 - In the pick, there is another rusted part.  Not sure what that part is or what it is used for.

4 - What is the 12v rectifier?  square bodied part.

So when I hooked the battery up.  Pushing the start button did nothing.  Pulling the cord to try and pull start, it turned, but would never fire.  I have put in a new spark plug as well, it looked worn out.  With electric start, I crossed over the posts on the start solenoid, it turned over, but would never fire and start.

I have read a few other threads and it stated something about needed the neutral light on.  SOmething about a kill switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By bradleyheathhays
      Here's what just came out of the old '11 700 Grizz...

The pics indicate some kind of build up on 3 surfaces...the base ring, and on both the electrode and ceramic opposite where the strap attaches. What condition does this suggest?
      Also, this article...
      How to read Racing Spark Plugs - Dragstuff
      indicates since there's no color change in the middle of the ground strap that there's some type of temp problem. Or does this not apply as the article is talking about racing spark plugs?
      Thanks
    • By Barrysquad
      Somehow I lost all of my spark on my 350Big Bear, its a 1990. It ran well for maybe 3 days! Thought it was the carb. Cleaned it 4 times. It was losing power at midrange. Got worse and worse. Finally nothing!
      Are these good coils? I was thinking I could swap?
      2002 Honda-200cc: primary 0.4(ohm-200) secondary 9.0(ohm20k)
      1990 Yamaha-350cc: primary 0.8 secondary 11.0
    • By JenWal85
      Hope someone can help with this one.
      We took our 1984 Honda TRX 200 to the shop and they had it for about 2 weeks before they finally called and said that they had cleaned the carb and changed the battery and that it had started up.
      We went and got it and when we got home it would not start so we called them, they said bring it back in, so we did. They called us the next day and said they changed the spark plug, and that it was running. We went and got it again and it ran when we drove it off the truck.
      We parked it for about an hour because we were going to get ready to go on a ride. Well, it wouldnt start again.
      So we called them and they said the last thing they could do was order a new CDI box and put that on. I decided to just buy it myself, so I didnt have to pay them labor again. We put the new one on today and its still not starting.
      Does anyone have any ideas on what we could check to see what in the world is going on with this thing?
      Please and Thank you
    • By cbbubby78
      can someone tell me what could be the problem if the electric start doesn't turn the motor over but sparkplug fires like crazy but the pull rope turns the motor but no fire on spark plug. thanks for any advice in advance . cbbubby78
    • By thesandmanisme
      1987 suzuki LT230E, manual shows the plug on the underside of engine. Not there. There's an access hole in the skid plate, but no plug. I see a possible plug on the backend of the engine case. Its not underneath but on the low part of the case. Facing the swing arm. Is that it?