Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Muzzlegirl

Problems with my Kodiak

I have been starting my Kodiak all winter to make sure the battery was charging. I took it out on a ride last week 7 parked it. Went out today to go for a ride & when I tried to start it it made a buzzing noise when I pushed the starter button. It was in neutral & I put it in park & still no luck. I then put it back in neutral & it started. I turned it off & tried to start it again & it made the buzzing noise. It won't start now. The buzzing noise is coming from the left side off the atv on the back end. That is when I was sitting on it. Any help would be appreciated.

I have taken my seat off & believe my problem is the starter solenoid. It has a 30 amp fuse & a spare fuse with it. The fuses look good. I also checked the starter fuse & it seems to be good. Any help please. Would like to ride tomorrow. Thanks

Edited by Muzzlegirl

with a sxrewdriver, try crossing the two posts with it, it will spark, but if it turns over, it is the solenoid. you could try to clean the connections there with sandpaper and add some dielectric grease to keep the connection clean, or vaseline (petroleum based)

I have been starting my Kodiak all winter to make sure the battery was charging. I took it out on a ride last week 7 parked it. Went out today to go for a ride & when I tried to start it it made a buzzing noise when I pushed the starter button. It was in neutral & I put it in park & still no luck. I then put it back in neutral & it started. I turned it off & tried to start it again & it made the buzzing noise. It won't start now. The buzzing noise is coming from the left side off the atv on the back end. That is when I was sitting on it. Any help would be appreciated.

I have taken my seat off & believe my problem is the starter solenoid. It has a 30 amp fuse & a spare fuse with it. The fuses look good. I also checked the starter fuse & it seems to be good. Any help please. Would like to ride tomorrow. Thanks

I have the same issue.....have you found your problem??

Check your battery voltage - keep your volt meter on the battery when you hit the starter button. Drop of 2+ volts without the engine turning over and you've got a dead cell. Try jiggling your connections at the battery, corrosion there at a tight connection will keep it from starting and cause the solenoid to buzz.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By scotty2hotty01
      i have a older honda 350 cc quad that seems to start and other days will not.spark seems to be gone and there when it does run.I checked newer coil odd a older yet Honda but no help and idea I going to find the serial number as forget the year but believe around 1995 to 1997 year besides that great quad but cant run it so great this way  and need it for chores around the acreage. Any help would be great. Ive check all fuses as well as the fusable ling which was fine until I screwed with it now need to buy another as have it wired not so safe.I handy but now have copd which takes away the brain power some.Any help would sure be appreciated 
    • By Richard Paradise
      My 1997 Beg Bear got stuck in 2nd Gear when parked on slight hill, otherwise in perfect shape. Trying to get it into neutral, by rocking it back and forth won't release out of gear.
      Any suggestions, It's my work horse and I keep it in to shape, got to get it running..
    • By zont
      Hi, I have just purchased a 2002 Yamaha Kodiak 400 I think, the vin has worn off and I have located an engine number I think it is J312E-004674, could anyone tell me where the engine number might be please
    • By ATVNetwork
      utvs Kawasaki finally has a dog in the fight.
      After years of anticipation, the Kawasaki Teryx KRX 1000 sport side-by-side has finally arrived following five years of research and development. View the full article
    • By mmmPUDDIN
      I've had this machine for 2ish years, has ran great up until winter. Sometime during then, I managed to break the exhaust right before the muffler. The summer before it had a hard time idling, but we fixed it by cleaning the carb, and messing with idle. Near the end of last year, the only way for it to fire was the have full choke, and full throttle, and the engine bogged down and you had to keep on throttle for 25mins. Over winter, the throttle had dislocated, and I got it back in place. We got it running, and all was good. Spring came along, and now it doesn't start at all. A fluid is coming out of the exhaust, and I'm told it could be water from over winter. I checked the airbox, and the air filter isn't for this quad, it also is barely sucking air. There appears to be little to no compression, based on this. I'm pretty sure the engine is flooded, as the spark plug produces a spark, but is oxidized. I don't know how the previous owner treated it, or when it's last oil change was. A bolt on the engine has either oil or gas seeping through it,abd was loose. I tightened it and it consisted. The engine is basically positioned in the rear, and it needs a good clean, I don't have a pressure washer, so I can get the built on dirt off. any recommendations on how to get the beast started again?
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By J Printz
      i have a 2004 Yamaha Kodiak 450 and it is losing oil but does not smoke what is it
    • By Dimelol
      I have a 2003 Kodiak 450 that i purchased a while back with around 300 hours on it. It has never ran right from the beginning. Initially i thought it was just a carburetor issue because it was all clogged up from sitting for months. It has been cleaned, rebuilt, and taken off probably about 10 times troubleshooting this problem. I have quadruple checked everything including float height ect and it is set correctly, the jets are also brand new, needle and seat have been pressure tested as well. So after all of that I am convinced that the carburetor is not the culprit. I have an issue where the idle is very choppy, almost as if it is misfiring with a rich condition on top of that. I can use a brand new plug and run the machine for just a few minutes and it will be a dry and and coated in black carbon build up. The exhaust also has a strong smell at idle. I had trouble restarting it when hot for a while, but i adjusted the valves and it seemed to solve that issue. They were both way out of tolerance (tight). The weird thing is, outside of idle it seems to run pretty well. 
      So with all that being said I have ruled out the carb/valves/compression and moved on to the ignition and this is where i have a few questions about factory specifications. I guess the main question I have is, how strict are these tolerances? And could them being off by this amount cause the issue I am having? Do all three of these parts really need to be replaced? I would like to know before I spend the money on these new parts, and it not fix my problem. Below I will list what the specs were in the service manual along with the reading i got.  This is my first experience testing ignition components. I just found it odd that all 3 are out of spec according to the service manual.
      Spark plug cap resistance: 10 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: 8.90 kΩ
      Primary coil resistance: 0.18 ~ 0.28 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      My Reading: Fluctuated between 0.4 - 0.5 Ω
      Secondary coil resistance: 6.32 ~ 9.48 kΩ at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within the specified range.
      Pickup coil resistance: 459 ~ 561 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F)
      Reading was within specified range.
      Rotor rotation direction sensing coil resistance: 0.085 ~ 0.105 Ω at 20 °C (68 °F) 
      My reading was 0.3 Ω
    • By Admin
      1993-2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 400 Service Manual
    • By Admin
      View File 1993-2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 400 Service Manual
      1993-2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 400 Service Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 06/29/2019 Category Yamaha ATV  
    • By Admin
      View File 2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 450 Owners Manual
      2005 Yamaha Kodiak YFM 450 Owners Manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 06/29/2019 Category Yamaha ATV