Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

bigbear_350

97 yamaha big bear starter issues

Hi. I sunk my 97 big bear in a water hole up o the seat. I drove it home after it being in a swamp. Drove it twice since and then it wouldn't start at all. I since drained the gas, oil twice, and changed the oil filter. also changed the spark plug and air filter. It fired up on two occasions only by the pullcord.(electric start has a grinding noise at first then it starts clicking noise). Ran o for about 20 minutes each, ran very high and wouldn't throttle back too much. Electric start did work before the water hole.

any help would be great to get this thing started again!

the carb probably has dirt in it, i would take off the carb, take it apart and clean it, taking out the jets and making sure everything is clear of debris ...

Thanks. I soaked it already. I will take it all apart this time. Also do you know if when I take off the spark plug wire, then pushing the start button, should I have spark in the wire? if so then There isn't any spark. Is this related to the bike not starting? thanks again

U might need to rebuild ur starter motor. They go out because the brushes where. You should be able to find a rebuild kit.

If you take the starter out and look into the motor can there should be two gray pieces of metal. Those ride on the motor shaft. They will be held to the shaft with a spring or some kind of spring steel. If those are gone you need to rebuild it.

Thanks. That would explain the gray metal filings that were all over the oil filter. Good thing i changed the oil and filter. Is getting the kit the thing to do? Is it that much for a new starter? I also noticed the ground wire that goes to the motor, is bare and smokes when i hit the electric start. Thats when the grinding noise starts. It would make sense that it sounds like the starter is trying to work. Also tried crossing the solenoid and it makes the grinding noise for a second then starts clicking. Any ideas ? Thanks

A good rule of thumbs is to never leave a wire bare a specially in water.

A new starter is normally pretty price for a little motor. Normally a rebuild is way cheaper if you can find one. And the grinding probally means you need new brushes.

thanks. I rebuilt the starter. cleaned the carb again. put it all back together. Now pushing the start button, it now makes a humming noise. trying to cross the solenoid just clicks. checked the voltage on my battery to the solenoid, and to my starter all is fine there. any suggestions?

Does it still start with the pull? That doesnt seam right. However how old is your battery. The voltage doesnt always matter. My battery would charge but i couldnt get it to start the solenoid would just click. I got a new battery and it fired right up. If your battery is old you might need a new one. I know that is pretty obvious but there are some simple things you dont think of

thanks. I have a spare battery I can try. I will post after I try it out. Also pull start wont work.

Edited by bigbear_350

Hey everyone. so again no luck today with all the tips. took things apart and cleaned them, battery was charged up to the best it could be. 12.8 volts from 12.3 and 550cca up to 660cca. I think that is the cranking amps(not my area). local dealer told me the battery needs more than what mine is putting out to have the starter relay work. So its still just making a humming noise or buzzing sound from the starter relay when I push start button. Also will not turn over from the pull start. Any Ideas?

Now the pull start wont work? That throws a curve ball. It may be partly electrical but not fully. Last time you shut if off did it die or did you personal shut it off

I think your right. Found a ground wire( i think) that had the casing melted off and the bare wire was showing. Last time i hit the start button it heated up and seperated. I since spliced together and tried the start. Again just the same buzzing sound.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.