Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

BOBBY32

1996 Yamaha Timberwolf - Timing Help

Have a 96 timberwolf 250 4x4 i need help with timeing I did a complete top end gasket set and now I need to time it anyone's help would be great thx bobby

I have that but it is not realy helping me with the timeing I can not fide the timing mark for the bottom half of the motor and dum a$$ me I for got to mark it on the bottom

bump I still can not get my timberwolf timed can some one plz explain to me how to do it better then the manual dose thank you

There has to be timing marks on the gears. Read the service manual carefully and follow it to the letter. Page 4-51 of that manual is where it starts not sure what else to tell you to assist you other than follow the directions carefully. I havent worked on this particular engine but what I do know with everyone I have worked on is the timing marks are on the gears. Sorry I couldnt be more help.

Thanks I fide them with all your help but now my intake valve is bent do to me not having it in time I Larned a big time lesson on this

did you remove the flywheel when you were doing this? Flywheel has 2 timing marks on it F for ignition and the T is for the camchain.

When you get your new valve installed drop me a line before you crank it over - ALWAYS check your cam timing 3 times before starting the motor.

Looks spot on, get that tensioner installed, rotate the motor by hand 5-6 times and make sure it stays lined up. You need to compress the tensioner before installing it - 10mm head plug comes out, use a slotted screwdriver to pull the plunger back and hold it there while you bolt the assembly to the cylinder with the 2 6mm bolts, remove the screwdriver, re-install plug.

bobby sorry to leave you hanging for a month. I always pulled the tension spring/rod, bolted the housing onto the cyl (2 bolts) and then put the spring/rod and plug back on.

Well I can finally say I got the timberwolf running grate thanks gears for all your help how have you been

Glad to hear you're up and running Bobby, we've been doing well - the kids are tearing it up on our little track in the back yard 2-3 times a week. I'm almost caught up enough to delve back into my Kodiak's oil leak!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• 1993 KLF300C bayou gasket issue

Hi everyone, Just looking for some advice on a Bayou 300 that I am working on cleaning up and rebuilding. I bought the beast for 200 and am going to be into it for about 1200 all said and done. I decided after changing the oil three times in just around three hours of driving and having it come out completely black that something was up. That and the clutches were slipping. I believe now that the previous owners had not used the correct oil for the wet clutch system. Both were toasted and nearly metal on metal. Anyway, when I started opening it up I realised there was a massive amount of sludge and gunk inside so I decided to crack open the crank case as well to clean it all up nice while I had the motor out.  This is my question now, I cannot for the life of me find a gasket any where that is for between the two crankcase halves. Is that normal. There was gasket material that was between them originally that would not be reused. Can I just use a gasket maker like ultra black or something of the sorts or am I best off to get gasket material and painstakingly cut out all the shapes and lines and get a gasket made that way? Or does someone know where I could get a gasket? Thanks in advance everyone. Byron

By Byron Tuininga, in Kawasaki ATV Forum

• 2 replies
    • 2001 warrior runs great in reverse but dies letting out clutch in 1st

Hope someone can help. It runs perfectly in reverse..but dies while letting out the clutch in first. i can take off a little in first and second but it'll die out. It has excellent power in reverse though? it's a 2000 warrior 350. it's impossible to shift into neutral while it's running. 

By buddybeans, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 2 replies
    • 2001 warrior runs great in reverse but dies letting out clutch in 1st

Hope someone can help. It runs perfectly in reverse..but dies while letting out the clutch in first. i can take off a little in first and second but it'll die out. It has excellent power in reverse though?

By buddybeans, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 0 replies
    • 1996 Yamaha Timberwolf 4x4 shifter frozen

I have a 1996 Timberwolf with a stick shifter.  When I got it the previous owner told me it was a transmission issue.  He also said the starter went out.  I got it home and the battery was dry.  Changed plug, coil pack, filter and all fluids. I have it running well, but the shifter does not move. It is stuck in neutral. The reverse lever seems to be all the way to the front. Does anyone know where I should begin?

By Deañna, in Yamaha ATV Forum

• 2 replies
    • Making Coolers Great Again!

products Testing three great off-road coolers We pick three coolers that work excellently in off-road applications. View the full article

By ATVNetwork, in ATV News, Articles & Press Releases

• 0 replies