Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

HanksRide

1998 Honda 300TRX - Hesitation Or Skip

I have a 1998 300 fourtrax that I have owned since it was new. It has done its fair share of sitting over the past few years but I have started and used it atleast 4 to 5 times a year and sometimes pretty hard around deer season. For the last few years it has had a skip or hiccup when running at half to full throttle (steady throttle). This thing has always started perfect, idles perfect and takes gas great, runs great except for this hiccup when holding it at a steady throttle under load. Sitting you can hold the throttle all you want and it purrs like a kitten. I have done the complete tune up, cleaned the gas tank, replaced a broken choke cable where it screws into the carb, took the carb off and it looks extremely clean, blew out the vent lines. I have also ran it with the gas cap off and I believe it runs better (hiccups less often) with it off then with it on. I have ran seafoam through it. Done about all I know to do except take the jets out of the card and clean them. Like I said the carb looks clean with no varnish buildup of any kind in it.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By 1911Neil
      I had a quad fall in my lap a couple weeks ago. The only things I knew about it was it was a Kawasaki Bayou 220, was in pretty rough shape and was free. I couldn't say no to a fun little project. I've been looking a different ATV forums gathering quite a bit of info and decided this was the one I wanted to join.
      Thanks to this forum, I found the VIN under about an inch of mud and cross referenced it to be a '98. It had been sitting outside for at least 5 years and was told it ran when parked, but had no brakes. Squirrels or mice had been chewing on the handlebar controls and it's generally just kind of beat up.
      So far, I've gone through the carb (not near as bad as I expected), freed up the brakes (will probably need new cables), replaced the spark plug, air filter, petcock and put a new battery in it.
      The gas tank had been empty and looked clean so I put some fresh gas in it and tried to crank it today. I got a neutral light, but the starter button did nothing. I tried pull-starting it and it wouldn't fire. I checked the plug and wasn't getting a spark. I started digging and found some potential issues and some definite problems.
      I have a wiring diagram I found on here but it's just a picture or scan out of a book and hard to read. I don't see a reference to a black/yellow wire, which is my first problem.
      First, it that a factory crimp? One of those wired looks like it goes to the connector in the 2nd pic. Is that just a spade lug type connector? I pulled on it with some needle nose pliers but it didn't seem to want to come off. In the 3rd pic, should there be a fourth wire?
      I've read through and bookmarked the threads Andrew Baker and Arizona have going but I figured I needed to start with these obvious issues first. I have lots of pictures, so if there is something else you want to see, just ask. If I don't already have a pic, I'll take one.

• By Ed Zeppeli
      Hi,
      Oddly I'm having  a hard time ordering front brake shoes for my '98. 
      I'd appreciate recommendations on decent, widely available shoes if possible. Ideally available in Canada on short notice.

Thanks much,

Warren
    • By Chase Cook
      Hi I was riding my Honda the other day and I gave it gas for about a quarter-mile just flooring it and then it started to lose power. I pushed it about a mile home which was a pain in the butt but when I got home It still had gas, compression and spark. Do you think the timing jumped possibly?
    • By Gunny
      It was a sad day back in March, but now, my Tracking season has ended ... sigh .... I hope to get some surgeries done soon (damn virus thing) so I can heal up & get back to tracking in the 2020-2021 Tracking season.
      ANYWAY, I put together a short video of my 2019-2020 Tracking season. I hope you enjoy it ... Stay Safe !!!

• Similar Tagged Content

• By Blue
      Hey all I have a question on my 94 fourtrax 4x4. The electric start won't work. When I hit the button I hear the solenoid clicking but nothing happening. I put on a new solenoid and same thing happened. So I took off starter and checked it, brushes looked good nothing looked out of the ordinary. My battery is putting out 11.2 volts. I wouldn't think that would be it since I put a newer battery in from my other quad and still got same results. Any ideas I'm scratching my head on this one.
    • By reich
      I have a 2005 Fourtrax. It wouldn't shift and the display was blinking three times so I replaced the angle sensor. It initially worked, but now the display is blinking eight times. I did not reset the computer after replacing the angle sensor. Do you think I need a new control motor? Anyone else have this issue after replacing the angle sensor? This is a great site. Thanks
    • By jvasko10
      I have a new battery and my machine will not start, it just makes a clicking sound
    • By killim
      My quad will no longer start using the electric starter. When you push the starter button, you can hear the starter relay (adjacent to the battery) click but the starter is silent. Bad starter relay or something else? Help!
    • By tmiles
      I just bought this 300 2wd and I don't know much about working on them. I have the service manual and the owners manual from online downloads but...
      Hoping I could get some help please:
      1) Pretty sure I am just going to have to but a new carb but see what you all have to say. When it is cold I have to shoot some starter fluid on the air cleaner. Choke cable seems to be sticking and not working. Once the quad is warmed up I don't need any more starting fluid it will start on its own but the big issue is it will not idle. I have to keep giving it just a little bit of throttle. I took the carb off but could not get the choke cable out the carb and someone has already stripped the 4 heads on the screws holding the bowl on. Cheapest place to buy a carb? Any other ideas?
      2) Shifts really hard through all gears. Pulling the shifter up with my foot is hard but when it shifts it wants to slam into gear and actually jerk the quad. If your going with a little bit of speed it wants to pull the front tires up a little. Any ideas?
      3) Pulls to the right terrible. Tire pressure is good. Nothing looks physically bent, arms, t-rods nothing. If I adjust the t-rods should I turn the right side in toward the center of the quad to get it to pull more to the left to even it out?
      Thank you for your help.
      Tim