Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

mrtoast67

Need HELP Moto 4 Clutch Carry Assembly Issue

Hello everyone I have a liitle issue here that has left me scratching my head. I recently bought a Moto 4 87 2wd. About 20 minutes after I got it home I heard a loud wrenching and snapping and then what sounded of metal whirling around in places it shouldnt. I opened up the right crankcase and found that a spring on the clutch carry assembly has broken unto ublivion. Not the clutch now, the clutch carry assembly. I bought a new spring, replaced it. And put it all back together (with some difficulty, I am unsure about the reinstallation of one part - see video in link below). I started it up no problem, with the immediate wrenching and snapping and whirling again. Opened it up again, another broken spring. I have now ordered enough springs to replace ALL the srings at the same time because I have noticed all the springs but one are very loose. Attached is a link to a video I have of the problem, please let me know if you have ANY information that could be helpful.

The video can be found here. [ame]

[/ame]

Great video explaining what happened and what you did. It looks to me that your centrifugal clutch assembly is toast. That's those 4 shoes that engage the drum with the springs you've replaced. You'll have to pull the clutch assembly out of that drum (bend the lock-tabs free on the center shaft of that clutch, buzz the (22mm?) nut off the shaft and pull that shoe assembly out - check the inside of the drum, looks to me in your video that the clutch & drum are so worn that the shoes are moving excessively and that's whats breaking your springs - they're being stretched too far.

That secondary assembly in the lower left corner with the spring, plate and triangle of balls looks like you've got it right - that's what "disengages" the clutch when you shift.

Let me know if your clutch is bad, I might have a spare in the barn.

Alright getting somewhere! Thank you for your response. I am actually going on vacation tomorrow morning so alas, my bike sits. Incomplete, until I return a month from now. When I get back I will take off the clutch carry assembly and let you know what I see. (Or just post another video) In the meantime, if you happen to come across that extra clutch in your barn let me know. Either way, thanks again and I will post again when I return! Last thing, what is the possibility that its just the springs that are warn out?

Not likely it's the springs - the only way they'd go "bad" is if they're over extended.... because the clutch assembly is worn. When you get it apart you'll be able to see where the friction material is supposed to be, it'll likely be mostly gone or heavily grooved. You might need the drum as well.

So I have returned from vacationland. A wonderful 2 months in Maine. ATV HEAVEN out there. I have put the new springs in and started her up. No wrenching or snapping or whirling or anything that would make me think another spring broke. So fingers crossed that's one crisis averted. I am still interested in your clutch carry assembly though if you have one lying around. I need to fix up the brakes and some other general stuff but otherwise I think were good. She does still has a clicking noise that I think has something to do with the starter. It only happens when I use the eletric start, and when I turn it off it gives one "click". I will post a video soon of the bike running. And and all comments or suggestions are very helpful.