Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Development of ATVs

Admin

Development of ATVs

ATVs (all-terrain vehicles) were first developed during the 1950s. The earliest models had six wheels instead of the four that riders are now familiar with. Honda was the first company to make the 3-wheel ATV in 1970. These were famously displayed in the James Bond film, 'Diamonds Are Forever.' Originally called the US90, the ATV was purely for fun, made with very large balloon tires instead of the mechanical suspension and smaller tires eventually introduced in the early 1980s. One of the most important versions of the ATV was the 1982 Honda ATC200E Big Red. Read Full Article

Development of ATVs | ATV Reviews

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• eManualOnline
  • Similar Topics

• By PolarisRich
      I've never done this before but after reading a few thread I decided to check my valves for the first time and to my surprise it was much easier than I thought.
      My bike is a 2005 Sp 500 HO.
      I first pulled the seat and the right side panel off, and that's it! It wasn't too bad to get at.
      Next I pulled the spark plug out and removed both the head cover ( 8-8mm bolts)
      [ATTACH]1021[/ATTACH]
      then the side cam cover (5-8mm bolts).
      [ATTACH]1023[/ATTACH]
      Also remove the plug in the recoil cover (14mm bolt) to see the timming marks.
      [ATTACH]1022[/ATTACH]
      Next I turned the engine over with the pull cord untill it was at TDC of the compression stroke.
      The best was to tell that your at TDC of the compression stroke is to rotate the engine until the
      timing marks are parallel to rocker cover gasket surface.
      The cam sprocket locating pin will be facing upward directly in line with the crankshaft to camshaft center line.
      Now fine adjust by looking into the timing hole in the recoil cover and line up the upside down "T" on
      the flywheel into the center of the hole.
      [ATTACH]1023[/ATTACH]
      Now using a feeler gauge, slide the .006" (.15mm)blade between the top of the valve and the bottom of the adjuster and adjust accordingly
      [ATTACH]1024[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]1025[/ATTACH]
      To adjust, Loosen the locknut (10mm) and check clearance with a feeler guage. Clearance should be .006" (.15mm) for both, intake and exhaust valves. Turn the adjuster with a stubby flat blade screwdriver untill the proper clearance is achieved then tighten the locknut (5.8-7.2 ft. lbs) while holding the adjuster in place with the screwdriver. Re-check the clearance with the feeler guage one last time and re-assemble the covers (72 in.lbs) and plugs.
      The only thing that i noticed was that I had to clean and silicone the side cam cover other than that I found the whole process rather simple.
      I'd give it a 4 out of 10 on the skill level scale.
      I hope this helps!
      Thanks Rich

• By Otter9099
      What battery type is best wet cell, agm or lithium? Who makes the most reliable battery for atv's? I need to replace a battery on my qtv. It had a wet cell lead acid. What doe you recomend for a replacement battery that is not a fortune and that is reliable?
    • By Arizona
      Just a couple of things since i get various atvs. 
      They always need seat cover and always need oil and other minor items.
      My question is Do you buy any specific motor oil for them, i heard you must get atv oil or will mess up the clutch.
      Not sure if correct but didnt want to find out hard way. Is there a cheaper oil or can you use regular motor oil?

Next they always need a new seat cover, any good places to buy bulk or cheap vinyl to re do the seats with out spending
      30-50 dollars on a specific cover?

whats you go to places for parts, i use amazon, ebay  any others that offer a good deal? 
      that goes for hard parts or just cables and or clips, wiring, bolts etc no wrong answer here. 
      always looking for new ways to find parts for the older atvs. TIA Az

• By Machias_Mike
      Just thought I'd throw this out there.  Been wanting a water resistant box for my machine but googling it came up with a ton of really expensive things.  Not sure why I never thought of this before.  Bought a craftsman toolbox from lowes for $10.  drilled a couple holes in it and ziptied it to existing rack.  Super solid and works like a champ!!  The other mesh basket was something i bought on amazon for a bicycle, lol.