Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Eddie_552

400ex problems

i have a 2002 honda 400ex, i rebuilt the top end and had issues for weeks not realizing that i had lost the decompression spring and plunger. i finally got new parts and got it back together. it ran great... i took it out for a good solid run rather than just running it in the garage, i made it a good half an hour or so before there was a loud almost knocking noise then it suddenly died, after 15 minutes or so it started right up with no knocking or anything so i thought we would work our way back toward camp, after a few minutes it did the same thing, i might have made it a mile, after it cooled down i got it to start again and then i made it back to the truck... after getting it home i tried starting it and it cranks over and sounds like it wants to start but wont kick over, i re lashed the valves, double checked the timing, checked for fuel and spark... i got it to start once but it just did that same knocking noise while idling and i was afraid to rev it or anything then it died after a minute and i cant get it to start again.

Timing chain and tensioner all good? Did you double check when u put the rings in that u put them in the right way? Correct spacing from each other and all of that?

Yeah I replaced the timing chain and tensioner, I double checked them when I tore into it the other day, im pretty certain that the rings were on the right way I double and triple check myself when I'm that deep into a motor.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By dbconn55
      Hi guys I have a 2003 Arctic 250 4X4 it starts idles and runs great for about 10 min. then it spits and sputters and dies but it starts right up like nothing happened idles good till you give gas and it does it again let off the gas and it's idling great again this goes on for about 15 to 20 min. and then it takes off runs good all day like nothing was wrong.
      I cleaned the carburetor it looked like a new one inside found a little gunk in one orifice, new air filter no crimped lines air line to tank good I did put a meter on the battery idling it said 16.5 V that's high I think would a voltage regulator cause this?
      Suzuki shop wanted to sale me a stator for $556.00 but said it could be something else also thought I'd see what you guys say about it
      Thanks
    • By Tahj
      I bought a 2003 Recon from a kid that beat it – all plastics cracked etc, When I replaced the rear brake the inside – axle, rear oil  - were clean and in good shape, so I think Honda won the kid vs quad battle.
      It shifts a little clunky (I made the adjustment) and after riding for a while I get a hot friction material smell I wonder if he used the wrong oil and if any damage was done.
    • By MarkinAR
      Couple of quick points:
      1. the Odyssey, or FL350R. This was 30 years ahead of it's time.  Fast as greased owl crap, reliable, stupid fun.  Never took off.  Fast forward to the RAZR which was just replicating the FL350R.  What would Honda have done with it if it took off in '85?
      2. Everything about the ATC.  Reliable, good power for small displacement, easy to work on, simple front to back, still running 30 years later.  My son's 185s is 36 years old and outran a 400 Big Bear the other day until it ran out of gearing and the Big Bear caught it around 50 mph.  I can dig a 110 out of the weeds and as long as it has a little compression, I'll make it run in 2 days for about $20.  Can't do that with a Yamaha 225.
      3, 1981 250R.  What happens if you stick a CR250 2 stroke in a trike?  Yeah, a death machine.  Then by '85 the 250R had a 6 speed and would do 70 from the factory.  Death Machine +2.  The 250R gave birth to the trike racing circuit.
      4. The ATC 70.  Small, quiet and reliable.  Just never took off.  Gave birth to the entire small displacement chinese quad market.
      5. 82 200ES - first Big Red.  The BR single handedly created the UTV market as we see it today in the Ranger, Mule, etc.
      6. The ENTIRE chinese quad market in front of us today came from expired Honda patents from the 80's.
      7. 300 fourtrax.  By far the most coveted 4x4 in the market right now, absolutely indestructible.  Pick one up a couple of years old, stick massive wheels and tires on it, and you have a mud machine.  Kinda like the Polaris or Can Am...but reliable.  And cheap.
      To be fair, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawa, all picked their game up along the way and make good ATV's.  I'll leave the Polaris/CanAm discussion for another day.  While Polaris gave birth to the automatic, the reliability issues of both still exist today.  While great ATV's, I don't consider them any more than specialty machines.

FIGHT ME.
      or debate...whichever is easier.
    • By StolenATV
      1987 Suzuki LT 80 and 2007 Honda CRF 50 dirt bike stolen out of my driveway on July 4th. Anyone with info that recovers them will get $400 no questions asked.
      Thanks
      The post Suzuki LT 80 Quad And Honda Dirt Bike appeared first on STOLEN 911.
      View the full article
    • By oxidized_black
      1995 - 2000 Honda TRX300 Service Manual
      View File 5851d86071202_1995-2000HondaTRX300ServiceManual.pdf
      Submitter oxidized_black Submitted 12/15/2016 Category Honda ATV  
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Wali
      I was riding my 400ex one day and when i shut it off to put it in the garage i tried to start it put again to drive it into the garge and it wouldnt start.I put a compression tester on it and its like 30 psi with out throttle and 0 psi WITH THROTTLE.
      when i put my finger over the hole it fell likes its pulling my finger in more then its pushing it out 

Has good spark.When i took it into the shop the said it had 1oz of oil in it and a tiny pit of metal shaving(TINY BIT LIKE 30 flakes)
      When i try to pull start (push start/roll start) it made a not normal sound  and wouldnt stay running.
      If my bottom end is blow why would it still turn over fine,
      Are my valves siezed or not working properly 
      or is my timing off causeing valves to not open in correct order with fire 
      PLEASE HELP all help is appreciated 
    • By Coral Breding
      I loosened the allen bolts on the carrier and when I went to put my driver in the alot to pull back and tighten the chain, I noticed the holes were facing the front of the bike. I tried to slide a driver in and tighten the chain but the thing would not budge. I nearly ripped the tip off the driver in the slot. Any suggestions? 

• By afa913
      Am i better off to just replace the bearings or buy the whole carrier?
    • By afa913
      Anyone know a place i can find a used stock pipe for a 400ex?  I would love to find a take off
    • By Jordan Alexander
      The title is for attention. I’m prepping my cylinder head off of an unknown year 400ex to install on my quad. And I’m examining it and there’s literally a Jewish start( Star of David) protruding from the metal on the camshaft side of the head. It’s not imprinted or etched/ engraved. It’s coming out of the metal. DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION ON WHY ITS THERE??? I’ve attached a picture