Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Nate5tory

89 Moto 4-Electrical issue. Where do I start?

I have a 1989 Yamaha Moto 4 250. It starts right up on first pull and runs like a champ. However there is a reason I'm having to pull start it. When the bike is running the lights and the kill switch work but when the bike is off I have no power. The battery is brand new. Do I start with the regulator or maybe the CDI? I wasn't sure if the coil or the starter had anything to do with it. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

I came on to ask a similar question, take it by responses to yours, zero, that we are on our own here...

My 87 decided to discharge battery when not in use, so I unhook it when she sits, a hassle, until I get a chance to figure out what the common things that go wrong when the key is off and a battery drain, seems to charge well when running. Took out a brand new Gel battery on me.. garden tractor battery strapped to rear grab bar for now, looks ghetto...

I would have checked with the ignition switch and followed wires to harness near steering head.

It would start without the neutral light on, or whichever it is, not by my rig and been 5 months since rode it.. but recall a light came on when turned key then it would start, there is a single wire in rear that pigtails off the battery cable, would have looked there as well, easy to get bumped off if you picked up something with tires... hope you had it resolved by now, been over a year... chime in and tell us what it was..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Asen_77
      Hi All,
      My name is Asen and I am from Eastern Europe, Bulgaria. Riding a Yamaha Raptor 700R and this is my first Quad wanted for a vey long time :)

• By wayde theriault
      Hello, I just bought a 2006 ttr125 and the guy said it needed a new carb because gas was leaking out the overflow and he couldn’t find out what was wrong with it, I opened it up and messed with the float and I couldn’t figure it out myself so I just ordered a $30 carb off of amazon. I installed it and it seemed to run great around the yard but when I got on the road and started picking up speed it seems to just turn off once I slow down and down shift. I don’t know it’s like if I go to fast it will just completely die and right after it dies it won’t start, the es won’t work nor will the kick start, I have to wait a good 30 minutes before I can start it and it runs fine again. Anything helps! Thanks    
    • By Tinscissors 428
      I have a 01 blaster kickstart won’t work but bump start does work
    • By Frank Angerano
      Not sure how many of you will remember this or give a crap about it but back in 2016 I picked up my first old atv to rebuild. Yamaha bear tracker 250. I picked it up in NJ while I was out looking for a quad for my little guy since he started this atv thing after seeing a few old pictures of me in my hay day riding. 

The person I was getting the 50cc quad had this one laying around and asked if I was interested in it.  It was beat up and hadn’t ran in a few years.  No spark the guy said and he left it to sit.  I wound up taking both bikes. 
      I wish I had pics but I deleted the original post on Quadcrazy and lost the old ones on my phone when I upgraded. 
      This was the atv that caused me to stumble upon Quadcrazy since I needed a little help with the spark issue.  So needless to say I fixed it, did some cosmetic work and she was good to go. I took it upstate and used the shit out of it for just about everything under the sun. This atv made it through some deep snow, mud etc. I decided to leave it up there and use it as a back up since it’s been about 50 atv’s later and I have newer machines now. But unfortunately it sat for some time and it’s a little beat up so I brought it back home and going to clean it up. Amazing how one year sitting has done so much damage. 
      This was the first atv that I owned in over 30 years! It’s the atv that brought me here to Quadcrazy where now I endlessly check the site to see what’s going on, who’s talking about what and who can we help with there problem or can help me with mine as well as the on slot of what I do today as a hobby with atv’s. It’s been a great pass time for me and my son with the projects we have gotten and get into. He’s learned how to ride so well it scares me a little watching him. He’s learned how to fix, maintain and upgrade atv’s. He’s insanely good with carburetors as well. 
      It’s a good thing when a kid wants to play in the garage over his X Box!!
      The funny thing about this bike is that when we finished it we thought it was the best thing! We were missing a rack on the front and didn’t care since it looked ok, had no clue where to get parts or how to fix plastics. I was so new to this again since I was staring all over again and now had to remember things and also teach my son!  
      So we will be tearing into the bear tracker to get her up and running again as well as maybe a few new cosmetic changes and hang on to her for a while since I love this bike.  The last two pics are the bike the day we finished putting it all back together and when it was upstate for the first week. 

Had no intention of this post going so long. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• By Ajmboy
      Unfortunately I didn't notice some of the rust hitting the undercarriage of my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660, but saw it the other day when I was doing some maintenance, oil change, air filter, spark plug, etc. The left side footrest broke and that's causing the plastic to hit the front wheel. It broke right at the welds from too much rust. Looks to me like what I need is (looked this up on yamahapartshouse.com):
      YAMAHA FOOTREST BOARD 5KM-27481-10 Left side (broken)
      YAMAHA FOOTREST BOARD 5KM-27488-10-00 Right side (rusted and will probably break eventually)

Does anyone have a less expensive source? I did see on ebay a couple of listings but it still comes out to @ $50 each, 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By crazynordlander
      Hi All,
      I live in Minnesota and bought a 2016 CFORCE 500 HO. I am in hope to see if there is anyone in the US that is experiencing this sudden drop off in RPM below 4000 RPM. I have uploaded some videos of my issue on YouTube. I will list three of the four I posted. The fourth can be found on my channel but it is a comparison between my Polaris 570 and my CFORCE 500.
      I quit on my first dealer because we just did not mix well together. I brought it to another CFMOTO dealer that just became a CFMOTO dealer in January 2016. They are in a large ranch and agriculture area in a neighboring state that is pretty close to where I live. They have close to every brand available. They are a much larger dealer than the first one I bought the unit from.
      I brought the unit three weeks ago to them and they have worked on it a good solid week and have given up on it. I have read reports from owners in Canada that the dealers there were aware of the issue and have had success in fixing the herky jerky drivability issue.
      I am picking it up tomorrow and bringing it back home. It has been to the trails of the Black Hills this year and was new in late April. 300 miles on it. It has never changed. Very hard to ride on the trails or when I herd livestock.
      Here are the links to my videos.

I can't accept that this is normal operation. Does anyone from CFMOTO China scan these posts?
      I need help that CFMOTO USA has not provided.
      Thanks
      Kevin
    • By chuckcnm
      Hi, just picked up a MOTO 4 YFM255 and want to replace the rear brake pads. How do I get to the back. Guessing I need to remove the brake disk, question any easy way to do this?
      Thanks
    • By dyyjrr9
      I just got a 1991 Yamaha Moto 4 for my son and I am looking for a service repair manual. I know that the timing chain needs replaced.
    • By Countrymoto54
      Just curious if anyone ever tried to fit a 99-09 bruin 250 muffler on an older moto 4 250 before ?
      Looks like it would . Probably not to hard to adapt the mounts . Just wondering about clearance as the one we have just barely clears the tire .
      Thoughts ??
      Thanks in advance .
      JP

• By Ironfist104
      My wolverine has a new carb kit, new battery cranks over and over take it to the point of killing the battery to start sometime.... but it I give a tug on the start rope while I'm cranking it with the starter it fires right up.... any advice?