Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

tuke

Quadmaster 500 backfiring after jet kit. Any advice?

Hi. I recently had to replace the diaphragm on my QM 500, so I decided to add a sigma 6 jet kit. I basically replaces the main jet with a 135 (was 130) and moved the clip on the needle down one space (as per their directions) towards the RICH direction. Now that I have it reinstalled it starts great, idles great but if you try and give it any throttle it sputters, pops and looses all power. With the choke on it will accept throttle.

This implies to me that I am running LEAN, which seems strange as I moved the needle towards rich and put a bigger jet in?

I have checked the rubber connections on either side of the carb, the carb has been out and it is CLEAN.

So any thoughts other then just "clean the carb".

Thanks

Chris

Try raising the needle another notch. If no joy, then try lowering it a notch from your initial setting.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Slide moves well now. . That's what i had to replace. . The old diaphragm became brittle and had a tear. But before that it ran great. Keep in mind I did add the jet kit... It's really cold here so I haven't had a chance to try moving the clip up the needle.

If moving the clip the other way doesnt help, then I would undo the jet mod you did.

BTW, who did you buy it from? Perhaps they have pointers.

Just thought i might be able to gain a little power with a kit and air filter. .. lesson learned. . I'm hoping Sigma 6 will take their kit back.. Didn't even come close to working no matter what the configuration. ..

Keep us posted on how it works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Freezeman
      Thought i would share a fix that I came across. I was working on a 99 scambler 500, The customer complaint was that even with the fuel shut off the tank would slowly drain out onto the ground. First I found the fuel shut off was bad/ leaking/ dripping so I installed a new one thinking that would fix it. Then I ran it and and seen that the overflow was flowing fuel out from the bowl. So I cleaned the needle and seat and changed the float height to lower the fuel level in the bowl. Well... It still overflowed and flooded. So I bench tested the needle and seat with a pop off tester. I found that these newer style needle and seats just utilize an o-ring to install the brass seat into the carb.
      The o-ring for the seat had hardened up allowing fuel into the float bowl from under the seat. New o-ring and problems solved.  

• By Austin Rowedder
      Hi I have a 2007 Polaris outlaw 525 irs and am trying to replace the needle bearings in the rear a arms. I was wondering how you go about getting the rubber seal and bearing out!?
    • By Thunt56
      How do I replace the pinion clutch shaft in a 1987 Suzuki LT230 quadrunner? It starts up on the first kick but when I put it in gear it wants to kick up. I can give it gas and put it in gear but my clutch lever isn’t doing anything. SOS
    • By Darryl Traina
      This bike has a straight axle that is moving horizontally in the housing in both directions about 2 inches. Has anyone had the same issue if so what did it take to repair it?
      Thanks..
      Darryl
    • By davidwestfall
      looking for direct shift shifting lever that properly fits my 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 and fits my foot the same as a stock 2003 Yamaha warrior 350 shifting lever fits my foot
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By mrfartsalot
      i have a 2001 suzuki quadmaster 500 4x4 that the primary cvt clutch is rusted on any ideas on how to get it off i want to try to reuse it if possible.
    • By Paul Maple
      I have a 1999 Sportsman  500, it was running fine, than started to lose power in the winter, I adjusted the idle screw and away I went, than a few weeks ago it died, I have found that i am flooding the engine, compression was at 70PSI and due to the compression release mech. i assume i am good as it compared to the same PSI on a 2000 sportsman 500 i have. i cannot start the atv unless i go full throttle and it starts an runs for about 30 sec than dies, again it is flooded. i ordered a new carb off ebay as i could get one for around $40. put that in same issue, i have checked the timing, (good), valves out of adjustment i adjusted to .006 still same issue, i have found the exhaust lobe and rocker arm to have some wear, i have ordered new ones, but am looking for any other input in this area as well. would the exhaust cam and rocker arm cause the engine to flood? i have used a bore scope and the piston liner has good cross hatching still? any input would be great.
    • By colin james
      View File 1996-2000 Polaris Sportsman 335/500 Service Manual
      This is the factory service manual for the polaris sportsman 335 & 500.
      You can download the section you need  or download all of the chapters for the complete manual 
      Submitter colin james Submitted 10/19/2018 Category Polaris ATV  
    • By colin james
      This is the factory service manual for the polaris sportsman 335 & 500.
      You can download the section you need  or download all of the chapters for the complete manual 
    • By colin james
      This is the factory service manual for the sportsman 500 6x6.
      Download just the chapters you need or can download all chapters to have complete service manual.