Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

oakley

1994 Yamaha Timberwolf - Starter Not Engaging

I have a 1994 Yamaha Timberwolf that has been a strong running machine until recently. This past year I replaced the pulsar coil which resolved a prior problem I was having. After running for several weeks without a hitch, I one day went out to start it and it would not. The starter motor is turning but it does not engage the engine. Can anyone suggest a remedy to get it running again?

I have gone over the whole electrical system while in the process of correcting the pulsar coil problem. I believe where I hear the starter motor turning the problem lies elsewhere; I think.

if it is spinning the starter is still alive, i would take it off and look at the bendix spring, that spring i believe throws the gear towards the flywheel, you can test it on the bench and have a look if it moves ... if it does it might not be able to handle a load, im sure any auto place can put it on a load test for you ...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Asen_77
      Hi All,
      My name is Asen and I am from Eastern Europe, Bulgaria. Riding a Yamaha Raptor 700R and this is my first Quad wanted for a vey long time :)

• By Nigel Bourn
      I’ve just bought one of these and came here looking for a service manual
      Mine has an air cleaner that I don’t seem to be able to find, it has round ends with square tabs on them, any ideas?

• By Coral Breding
      I loosened the allen bolts on the carrier and when I went to put my driver in the alot to pull back and tighten the chain, I noticed the holes were facing the front of the bike. I tried to slide a driver in and tighten the chain but the thing would not budge. I nearly ripped the tip off the driver in the slot. Any suggestions? 

• By JacobSlabach
      got 7 atvs off CL recently for a good price.  one of which is a yamaha warrior.  anyone know where the vin is printed on this bike?  Haha good place to start as I do not know year or size yet.  The former owner says needs exhaust ans and clutch work.  he said it ran fine until the clutch cable broke and then I couldn't get the new cable adjusted right and it would grind gears.  things I see:  clutch cable locked up again, no brakes, carb leaking (green with algae around the bowl and has gelled gas stalagtights on it), aftermarket exhaust melted the airbox so I need something different and a new air box.  I would like the use the current exhaust if I can but I have a feeling its a redneck fix as it looks like there is an ace bandage holding it to the exhaust pipe (its an aftermarket slip-on exhaust), so I'm not sure about that- lets get the bike running first.  also, battery (looks brand new, what a shame) is dead, 0 volts.  Otherwise, bike looks to have not been wrecked, and plastics are ok (it sat outside under a 'tarp' for 3+ years since it was run last).  any tips and advise on where to start first would be awesome as this is my first clutched bike (manual).
      the clutch is my main concern- I've never rode a clutched bike so I dont even know what its supposed to feel like.  lol I'm spoiled on my automatic polaris 
    • By Vidar Bråten
      Hi 
      Anyone here that know how to find a service maual for Linhai LH 700 ? 
      Please let me know , have been looking for a long time , cant find anything . 

Vance 
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Snowden
      Hi everyone,
      I have a question, if the starter clutch gear looks fine but is still not working correctly then all I should need to replace is the one way bearing, right?
      thanks,
    • By Bwdeaton
      I recently picked up a king quad 700 that doesn't run in the hopes of getting it running by spring. It had been previously taken apart some and a few pieces are missing in the engine, but the frame is complete and in good condition. The motor will need a piston, rings, cylinder, cams, and a few misc parts that are missing. Also the cases will need to be split to remove the pieces of piston that are in the crankcase. The piston blew up at high rpm and did a number on the cylinder so I'm trying to find out if it would be worth rebuilding this motor it buying another engine to swap in. There may be more damage to this engine that I can see so I was wondering how bad the insides of it could be considering it destroyed the piston. I have found a motor for 1200 plus 200 shipping, the only problem is I don't have that much now and I would have to save up a while before being able to afford it. Any suggestions appreciated.
    • By Blue
      Hey all I have a question on my 94 fourtrax 4x4. The electric start won't work. When I hit the button I hear the solenoid clicking but nothing happening. I put on a new solenoid and same thing happened. So I took off starter and checked it, brushes looked good nothing looked out of the ordinary. My battery is putting out 11.2 volts. I wouldn't think that would be it since I put a newer battery in from my other quad and still got same results. Any ideas I'm scratching my head on this one.
    • By thesandmanisme
      The engine has this stamp, J416-114443. Does anyone know what they mean?
    • By Pure_Michigan
      I bought this old three wheeler that I found in a barn. It looked pretty rough, but I have it running now and functioning.
      With the switch set to "run" and the key in the "on" position the electric starter does not work when I push the starter button,
      However, if I cross the solenoid it will work and it will start the engine - so I know the starter motor is good and it works.
      Now, it gets a little mysterious. When the engine is running, AND the headlight is on high beam, the electric starter will engage when the starter button is pushed.....When its already running! (when the headlight is off or on "low" the starter button does nothing, only when running and in high beam will you hear the starter motor zing when you push the starter button) So, I know the button actually works, but only after the engine is already running and the high beam is on!
      So to recap: with the key on, the starter button does nothing. crossing the solenoid will make the starter work, and after the engine is running the starter will work with the button!
      Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone point me in the right direction on solving this one?
      Thanks!