Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

2000 Kawasaki Prairie 300 2x4 Transmission trouble

Hello everyone, thanks for the add. I was just given a Kawasaki Prairie 300 2x4. The quad had sat for a few years so I went through the carb and cleaned the tank out and it runs great, however when I went to ride it I put it in high range and there’s a knocking and grinding coming from the transmission. It doesn’t do it in low range or reverse. I don’t know if there’s some teeth gone from a gear or possibly a bent shift fork. I’m very mechanically inclined, just hoping to hear from someone who’s split the case on one of these. Thanks! 

Edited by BlazerSS1

• BlazerSS1 changed the title to 2000 Kawasaki Prairie 300 2x4 Transmission trouble

I have read that these quads have an electrical issue that happens overtime where the voltage regulator starts to go bad but instead of going out it slowly starts to increase the voltage it allows to pass through the system.

in essence the system starts to get more and more voltage which causes all kinds of issues, but specifically causes the timing to go completely out of whack. This in turn starts to cause a pre-detonation situation that causes the motor to make a slapping or knocking sound that people frequently mistake for rod knock.

No idea if this is what's happening to you, but just a thought I figured I might give you something to look at. Seems like it could potentially be a sounds coming from the motor itself and not just the transmission.

Quote from post I read this on "It appears that on the KLF300s and other systems similar to them, that when the voltage regulator goes out and your voltage is unregulated and high (above 14.5 VDC) , it causes the Solid State Ignition to advance the timing and the knocking noise you are hearing is actually pre-detonation. I tested that theory out by simply removing the regulator/rectifier from the charging circuit while the engine is running. The voltage drops back down to 12.5 VDC on the battery and the rest of the electrical system. The KLF300 engine went from clanking, missing and popping like a old jalopy to purring like a big ol happy kitten once the overvoltage was removed."

Here's a link to the article I found this one. he starts describing the issue on #6

Edited by PineAppleCawks

I appreciate the input, but I don’t believe this is my issue. The quad only does it high range. Low and reverse it runs perfect. It feels like there’s some teeth gone from a gear or possibly a shift fork is bent and not allowing full engagement of the high gear. I’ve tried googling and haven’t found anyone who’s had a similar issue. Im hoping to hear from someone who has.