Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Sign in to follow this  
DavidMe

2006 Kodiak 450 Carb

I rebuilt my carb and I'm trying to figure out how to adjust it. I set the fuel/air at 2 1/4 turns off of set, it idles fine then starts having high RPM's. I shut it down then it starts and stalls only with choke on. Any advice, help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Topics

• By Blenderite
      Hello guys! New to the forum, and fairly new to ATVs. I've driven them, but never owned one. Now I do own one. Just picked it up today. It's a 1999 Yamaha Big Bear 350. It's been through some stuff. The guy I got it from told me the previous owner removed the front diff because he didn't want to replace the half shaft. So it's 2wd, even though it's supposed to be 4x4. Lovely. I can deal with that for now.

More importantly, I need to get it running. The carb needs to be rebuilt. The guy I got it from said he sprayed it all out and it still didn't work. I'm concerned he might have damaged it or not put all the parts back. I was looking at a replacement carb, and the OEM parts is $600. I'd rather not spend $600 if there are any other options. I have seen carbs on Amazon and eBay that are in the $40 - $100 range that say they fit. Anyone have experience with these? I'm going to get a rebuild kit for the current carb just to make sure that won't fix it.

Thats the first thing with it. Secondly, it was completely rewired. I need to find a original wiring diagram so I can put it back how it was, with a key and all. Currently it's wired with just a rocker switch. Any sources for a service manual that would include wiring diagrams?

Thirdly, is the Big Bear 350 a good atv? I picked it up for $700. It does start and run when you spray starting fluid into the air intake, so I am not concerned about the engine being bad. I plan to use it for the farm, running around and carrying things with it like minerals and feed and such. Not really for mudding and things like that. How good is the 99 350?

I am certain I will have more questions as I examine it more, but that's all for now. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

-Blenderite
    • By Trent Finnessey
      So I’ve got a 2000 Honda 400ex absolutely love it!! I’ve had it for about a month, I ride with bruteforce 750’s, outlander 850’s and 1000 sxs’s and I was thinking of getting a trx450r carb and a full hmf exhaust. And probably doing the air box mod too, how much power would this give my 400? Just a little different or a big difference? Cuz if it’s not much of a different I’ll just stick with my dg slip on..... thanks!
    • By dook
      I've been riding Suzuki Kingquad 300's for the last 20 years. I have 3 of them. I love the low gearing, low center of gravity, low rider position, low racks shaft drive and smooth ride, but they are getting old and I'm tired of fixing them. Best engineering of any utility quad, IMO, but the execution...build quality is not up to par with Honda, so the price you pay is lots of wrenching.
      I positively despise CVT type belt drives. My neighbor has a couple of old Hondas, Rancher and Rubicon and I admire the reliability of them. He does very little maintenance and they always run and have pulled my Kingquads home for me when they break.
      Is Honda the only company that makes ATV's that don't have CVT? I like the build quality but I don't like the high rider position caused by the vertical cylinder, the cold nature of them, having to warm up for several minutes and the plastic skid plates. I guess all modern ATV's have the same issues, though (correct me if I'm wrong).
      Been checking with the dealers, it seems Honda foot shift models are scarce. I really don't need devices/gadgets to decide which gear I need to be in. So I'm avoiding the DCT models. I must have IRS and EPS because of my age and physical condition though.
      Is it possible to get a Rancher with IRS, EPS and foot shift? The specs I'm reading show the rancher is 2" lower than the Rubicon. I'm assuming that to be seat height. With vertical cylinder design, the more you grow the engine, the higher you push the seat....at least that's my thinking.
      Any comments from the Honda experienced?
    • By wwdubose
      I have two 2003 Suzuki Ozark 250s, both 2-wheel drive.  Last time we rode them about a year ago, the red one was not running well, didn't want to idle, backfired a lot.  The green one ran fine. 
      Fast forward...I ordered a carb kit for both of them, thinking the red one has some trash in a jet.  Both of these ATVs have had little use and I've always ran the gas out after use (put an inline cutoff valve in gas line).  I pull started the red one to verify it was still running bad.  It will start and idle, but as soon as you give it any throttle, it dies instantly.  Give it a little choke, dies instantly.  Took the carb apart and it was spotless.  Went ahead and cleaned all the holes with carb cleaner and blew everything out with compressed air.  All new jets, main jet holder, and needles.  Put it back on and nothing changed.  Starts, idles (not for a long time), but dies as soon as you give it gas.  Same happens when you put the choke on.  It does the same thing when I try to run it turned to prime on the petcock as it does in the on position.
      Not an air filter issue.  It is clean and it does the same exact thing with no filter on it.
      Thought maybe there was a float issue or maybe a damaged diaphragm, so I took the carb off the green Ozark and put it on red.  Started up and initially ran normal and revved for about 10 seconds and then started doing the same exact thing.  Starts, idles (not for a long time), but dies as soon as you give it gas.  Same happens when you put the choke on. 
      So...not the carb
      Thought maybe vacuum petcock was bad, but there's no gas in the vacuum line going from petcock to carb and gas flows freely when on prime.  I even plugged the vacuum line at both the petcock and carb end and tried to run it with valve set to prime.  Gas flows freely, but does exactly the same thing.  I unscrewed the screw at the bottom of the bowl and gas flows thru carb and out bowl drain line when petcock is set to prime.
      So, I'm assuming petcock is good?
      Checked spark plug and it wasn't fouled.  Reset gap, didn't help.  Will swap plugs between Ozarks tomorrow but I don't think that is it.
      Anyway, that he history and now you're all caught up.  Scratching my head.  Valves? These were bought at same time and have had little use.  Suggestions?
      Thanks!   
    • By WIJBIRD
      Good morning!
      I have a 1999 Yamaha Big Bear 350 4X4 and I need to rebuild the carb. I have the dual-cable throttle model and I'm having a terrible time finding the correct kit for it. I'm not opposed to replacing it, but the only ones I'm seeing do not have the dual cable throttle system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      Thanks,
      Jay in WI

P.S. I can send pictures if necessary.