Quantcast

Bayou 220/ Mikuni Carb Setting

New to tuning carbs and cant seem to figure some stuff out. Need help on understanding a few of these listed items on this service manual for the carb settings. Thanks for the help, By the way its a 1999 Kawasaki Bayou 220 that I am working on. 

1- what does the number stamped on the jets mean? MM? Looking at my carb and it has a #30 pilot and a #115main... but the 30 is larger, so i am assuming that this is MM in decimals like .30mm and .115mm so then the 30mm makes since. not sure if my shade tree mechanic logic is correct on this.

2- I know a good reference is 1.5 turns out on the Air/Fuel screw but what is a good starting point for the idle or fuel inlet screw, its the mikuni carb and its this screw is on the side of carb next to where the fuel line goes. 

3- Looking at the picture I attached this is a screen shot of the service manual for the bayou 220 and the recommended carb settings. but i dont know what a few of these settings are. 

so what is ( Main Jet #115 (CA) #117.5 ) I know this is the sizes for the main jet but which one is for CA and which one is for me here in GA. do I read this a #115 (CA)... meaning the #115 jet if for CA and the 117.5 is else where? or do i read it as (CA) #117.5 or am i splitting hairs even worrying about the 2.5mm difference or should i say .025mm difference if i am thinking about the sizing correctly 

4- what is this, Main air jet Ø 1.8, what in the chinese writing is that sign. Google says it means zero. So one what does it mean here for carbs and secondly what do i do with it... Ø1.8 turns? Ø1.8mm? 0-1.8? really confused!

5- Jet Needle 5GN46-2? what is this the type of jet?

6- Needle Jet, O-0? a type of jet? and whats up with (Jet Needle) and (Needle Jet), are they two different pieces to the same piece, do they combine to form one piece?  

7- Pilot Air Jet Ø1.2? 

8- Also the knock off chinese mikuki carb that came with the wheeler dont have a few of these screw or pilot jets that can be changed out, its just a long skinny pressed fitted brass tube. Thinks some of my google research said something about the fuel for when the choke is on. cant remember what its called on this list. Maybe (starter Jet#45) if thats the case could i drill this tube out with a small drill bit that is the same size at a #45 jet hole? or do I even need to worry about it? the hole does look smaller than a size #45jet hole. 

Thanks for all the help and if anyone want to share more than i asked for i would really appreciate it.

Thanks and be safe.  Will Rogers IIimage.thumb.png.86352b77280e7dd51e92b1ff72fa5ddd.png

Wait a minute... Not sure how to edit my post so i am just commenting on it.

Think in figured out the jet sizes, I looking at the ends of the jets and not holding them up to the light. So now i got two jets a #115 and a #40 and when i hold them up to the light and look through i can see now that the #40 is smaller, but the end hole is larger, lol. So thats where i was getting confused. So yeah is seems that the #40 is .40mm and the #115 is 1.15mm? the actual hole up inside of the jets not the end hole. ( I said end hole, lol)

The jets with letters are very accurate ones and have a standard of their own. They are mostly for countries that are worried about pollution..

If you get a genuine service manual to download, this site will probably have one, and look at the "supplement" section, you will find all the specs for the various models, and their carbies and jetting. I've swapped jets before and as long as you use all the sizes recommended together, it doesn't really matter what spec market it's intended for, it will be pretty good. So you can swap all the jets to the californian ones(if the carby allows it), or all the jets etc for the africa model, or any market, and it will be close enough balanced to run and be tuned..

It's important to swap the slide needle, and the discharge tube it fits into, and all the jets as a set. Floats and needle and seat can be left as they are. If you cant remove the air jets near the air-filter end of the carby, then you need to figure out what they are for and which fuel jet they are suited for, and then choose a market spec that has those air and fuel jets, and build a carby to suit that unremovable air jet

Hope that all makes sense.. Ask away if not..