Quantcast

Protesters at 08 DNC in Denver

This group called "Recreate 68" are a bunch of loons,they actually think that they are going to make the Denver Mint levitate and then they will shake the whole building so money can fall out for the "needy"

DENVER (MyFOXColorado.com) - Democratic National Convention protesters plan to raise the roof - and the rest of the United States Mint in Denver - later this month when the party convenes in Denver to nominate Sen. Barack Obama as its candidate for president.

Organizers of Recreate 68, which is affiliated with at least a dozen protest groups mobilizing for the DNC later this month, are planning to attempt a levitation of the U.S. Mint as a statement against the money being spent on the convention which activists feel would better be spent on the poor.

"It's time to redistribute the wealth," reads a statement at the Recreate68.org Web site.

"Between security and corporate payoffs, the DNC will cost over 100 million dollars for a party. We think the people deserve that money."

The statement goes on to say, "Join us as we encircle the Denver Mint...and use our collective power to raise the Mint building in the air and shake the money out of it for the people."

The attempted levitation is set for 5 p.m. Aug. 25, the first full day of the four-day convention.

"We're going to have a couple thousand people surround this entire building, and they're going to be bringing all their magic, all their energy and everything that they have with them, and the idea is we're going to raise this building up in the air with a little bit of singing, a little bit of dancing," said Glenn Spagnuolo, a co-founder and spokesman of Recreate 68.

"The way we look at it, there is so much disparity between the rich and the poor right now that we want to take some of that money out of the hands of the greedy. And what better place than the Denver Mint?"

The mint, that week, will be "in maintenance mode," according to a Mint spokesman, meaning that while staff will be there, coins will not be in production and public tours will not be conducted. The fact that the "maintenance mode" week is scheduled for the same week as the DNC - and the scheduled protest - is a coincidence, the spokesman said.

"That was planned in advance," said U.S. Mint spokesman Greg Hernandez. He didn't appear worried about the scheme to levitate the building, which takes up the better part of an entire city block.

"The United States Mint Police do work with the Secret Service and, during that week, obviously, there will be a lot more security details located in the city. But the facility of the United States Mint will be protected by the United States Mint Police, and it will be, like I said, business as usual."

The planned raising of the Mint is not without precedent. Thousands of anti-war protesters during the Vietnam conflict, on Oct. 21, 1967, massed at the Pentagon and, under the anarchic leadership of Yuppies including Abbie Hoffman, Jerry Rubin and the poet Allen Ginsberg, attempted to levitate the nerve center of the American military in an effort "exorcise" the evil spirits they believed controlled it.

No reported levitation was observed by sober onlookers. But there was sporadic violence when some of the protesters managed briefly to get inside the facility, and there were a reported 680 arrests and some blood spilled before it was over.

Spagnuolo, who has disavowed any plans for violence, acknowledged that the levitation scheme is not entirely original.

"We call ourselves Recreate 68, and we want to do a little something to remember Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin and the folks that came before us," he said. "And this is kind of our ode to them, and also our respect to the poor communities here, 'cause poverty is a killer. And we think this is a good way to bring some attention to that issue."

People waiting in line outside the Mint on Tuesday to go on the public tours were mystified when told of Recreate 68's plans.

"I don't understand," said Bob Bobo, of Colorado Springs. "The protesters ought to spend their time doing something else, if you ask me."

• 2 weeks later...