Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Nor7

HELP!?! Early '90s LT250

Ok, so I just bought an early 90's QuadRunner. My brother and I tore the carb apart last night and cleaned it out. I mean we went all the way, cleaned out the jets, cleaned the bowl, all that good stuff. We confirmed the spark plug was good, we saw gas jetting into the carb when we tried to crank it. The engine sounds like it wants to turn over, it just doesn't.

????Similar problems????

Edited by Nor7
forgot to add the problem in the title.

Ok, I think I have narrowed down the problem. I replaced the spark plug, tried to crank it a few times, then removed the spark plug for inspection. It did smell like gasoline but it was bone dry. I think my intake valve is clogged or something.

I am pretty sure I am going to have to take the top end off and clean the valves. Any suggestions for what else I should do while I am in there?

check your valve clearences ...

Yep!! That did the trick. There was no play in the intake valve. I wasn't able to get the feeler gauge in there due to a bunch of stuff in the way. I was able to adjust it though and then she ROARED to life!!!

Problem though, my brother said to put some oil in the top end. Didn't seem right to me but I did and I think its dumping oil into the exhaust. Its smoking like crazy. I would have thought the top end would take oil from the system.

So question: Should I drain any remaining oil from the top end and just put a little in or leave it without oil or what? I read the repair manual and it didn't say anything about oil capacity in the top end.

Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Oh, and I tried to remove the exhaust to flush out any oil in there but due to abuse from previous owners, I was not able to get to it without some major quad surgery. I guess Ill have to wait for it to burn out.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By RLD1
      I have a 2000 LT250 that I recently had to replace the key switch due to the loss of the original keys. Now I can see smoke coming from in front of the gas tank. I took the cover off from around the handlebars trying to see where it was coming from. I touched a small box that was so hot it actually burned my fingers. I disconnected the battery but I can't get to the box without taking off the rack and the front fender. My owners manual does not tell my what this is. It has 5 wires running to it (3 yellow, 1 brown & white and 1 red) it appears to be bolted to the frame in front of the gas tank just below the handlebars with 2 bolts. Can anyone help me with this? I added a couple of photos to show the item I"m talking about. Thanks in advance.

• By slats_bigbear
      I just picked up a cheap big bear Im trying to fix up needs alot of work so going thru it piece by piece.
      1. The air box is completely stripped no breather hose, no hose to carb, and no filter or pieces inisde. Can anyone tell me if the typical K&N air filter comes with everything I need... I know it was a oiled element stock that slid onto a sleeve which I dont have so Im trying to find the quickest easiet way to get it back together.
      2. I bought a new ignition and plugged it in and it started hissing and getting hot at the plug connection, I ripped it out quick and checked with my meter and it still seems to be ok. So can anyone tell me if there brown wire the wire thats hot with ignition on has continuity to ground.... I traced mine all the way back to getting ground thru the neutral and reverse switches thru the relays and all.
      The only other thing I can figure is it seems when i pulled the ignition plug off the 2 prongs looked like they are pushed in too far as if they wouldt insert/engage into the female plugs on the opposite plug and maybe its jumping/arcing and shorting out.
      I do have a service manual, wiring diagrams, and found OEM parts diagrams I just cant make sense of these couple things with out a little direction.
      Any ideas???
    • By redneckinker79
      i have a racing go cart that i just got and it has a 250 honda motor on it no clue what model bt its a semi auto 5spd with reverse and when i turn the gas on it juust pores out of the carb from every hose and out the intake im really lost i took off the bottom to make sure float wasnt stuck pt back togethere and it still leaks out i will post up a pic maybe someone can help me figure this out

• By fredprice
      I need to change the oil and filter in my daughters 2003 lt250 ozark four wheeler and i dont have the owners manual, could some one please tell me where the filter is located and what kind of oil i need ??? PLEASE!!!!:
    • By dctaz37
      I took apart the winch control to clean the contacts and I can't seem to figure out how to put the spring back in. Does anyone have a diagram?