Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

glen

87 lt 4wd Wont idle

Hi all,sure hope someone can help. Have a 87 lt 4 wd, started running rich. Flooding after shut down and wouldn't idle. Rebuilt carb,was nice and clean inside. Now it starts fine but will not idle,too lean.will rev fine. Drilled out the pilot jet just to see if that would change things and it will idle,but loads up too much. Also played with the float.Tried different pilot jets but after a few still no good. Have just about given up. Was trying to find one of the after market carbs that will work. My intake side is 30mm. Anyone have any ideas ???? By the way I own a PWC sales and service co and spend a lot of time doing carbs....never had one like this !!

If its still flooding. Check the vacuum tube that operates the fuel pump for fuel in it. Might be a bad seal in the pump.

Are you the original owner? Just wondering if a different model carb found its way in there. There are different jet components for these Mikuni carbs depending on ATV model. You could try raising the needle jet to enrich the mixture.

No Im not,but looks like the rite carb. Did raise the float but no luck.The only thing that made any diff.was drilling out the pilot jet, will idle but loads up. Tried a few stock pilot jets a bit larger but no better....

I was referring to raising the needle jet. I assume you have the type of carb with sliding barrel throttle. Comes out by unscrewing the top cap.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By bradleyheathhays
      I have an '02 Taurus with 85k miles on her that I just bought.  Today when I was checking something under the hood I noticed this metal line cold and dripping with water...

I had the air on but turned to the position of arrows pointing out of the dash and floor vents only.  The defrost or a/c function was not selected.  It seems to be doing it consistently.  I haven't traced all the parts of this car's a/c system yet but I don't know of anything else under a hood that turns cold and sweats.  Why would my compressor be working when it's not selected?  What tests should I run?

• By Frank Angerano
      I would like to hear who uses what to clean there ATV’S. 
      I’ve always been a fan of simple green and it’s always worked well but with this new property and the crazy black mud and clay that’s there  I have to say the simple green is not cutting it. 

So from cleaning  right after a ride to cleaning them when you find one in a barn I would like to hear what everyone does and what your recommendations. 
      I’m looking to try something new.  
    • By Cj Winds
      I have a 2000 Polaris Xplorer with the 250 two stroke motor
      It does not want to start with the electric start, the motor cranks fast, the battery is good, and there is good spark when cranking. The engine starts perfect when using the pull cord, it even starts if I pull the cord slowly and starts with one pull. The engine idles smoothly once started. My wife says she needs the electric start to work.

• By weblex
      Problem: The ATV starts and runs at idle perfectly. But as soon as I open the throttle, the engine starts to slow down until it stops. On the attached video you can hear the sound of how it works: see video below
      Prehistory: there is a Polaris Sportsman 500 1998, which for about 1.5 years stood in repair, including also replacing CDI with one taken from the same ATV. Finally, the vehicles were on wheels, traveled several kilometers and overheated - forgot to fill the antifreeze Came back home in small moves. The next trip started well, but after 10 km there was a feeling of a small drop in power (even as the vehicle got warm completely) but still drives. Next trip - the situation is repeated. The next test of ATV through time and a huge loss of power from the very beginning. The engine sneezes, does not want to go more than 5 mph.

What has been done: the carburetor has been replaced with a new one (inexpensive, $ 40), a new spark plug, a new ignition coil, the engine head has been removed, the piston is in good condition, valves were corrected - but the problem was definitely not in them.

Ignition control unit is suspected. Who faced similar? Please help in solving the problem.
      Thanks in advance.

• By Jeff Comstock
      Help a brother four legger out
       Bayou300 acts like it's flooding if it's it's in the Alabama sun all day but, I've cleaned the carb. Sometimes it'll backfire even though the timing and valve lash are in spec. Thought it was sticking float but after 2 times cleaning the carb I'm lost. So
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By BigRuss
      I have a Kawasaki  bayou 4WD that started squealing when giving it the gas from a stop. It almost sounds like a fan belt but the dealer replaced the belt about 30 hours ago, so I don't think it is that. As best as I can tell, it actually sounds like it is coming from the front end. Once I am running and moving at a speed, I don't hear the squealing anymore. My first thought was to put fan belt dressing on the fan belt, as a quick test for the problem. It makes the noise when hot or cold.
      Another problem, that started before the dealer changed the fan belt, is that you give the quad a little gas, and nothing, give it more, and nothing, give it more, and it lurches and takes off. The dealer said it needs a new clutch, which I don't buy. less than 400 hours and it needs a clutch? I would say it needs an adjustment. When the quad is cold, as in I just started it for the first time in hours, it does not lurch. It is just fine. It lurches only when it gets hot, as in when you can hear the fan once in a while to cool the oil.
      Any help or insights would be great.

Russ
    • By bodatiouskid
      Have a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 700 that only has 34mi. on a carb & ring job.
      Cut the gas off today to drain carb.Now engine will not idle.If I open throttle will run,but let off & will cut off.Can screw idle in with no change.
      What happened? Why did this happen when fuel ran out?
      Please help me,my ATV is a daily driver.
      Please help!!
    • By cprservices
      Does anyone on here have a 2013 honda rancher? I have had several Honda ranchers in the past but I bought this 2013 rancher and it hits the rev limiter at half throttle. It is very annoying and I was wondering if anyone else's Rancher does this. If this is something from the factory or if I have a problem or not just trying to figure it out. Any help would be appreciated
    • By Chucky2015
      Was driving in mud playin around heard fan come on obce then didnt hear it come on anymore drove up to house and it stalled , now i can start it and starts real easy but once warm it dies even if i turn up idle , i was threw alot of mud and water , was wondering if the fan not coming on will trigger a sensor or something and cause this , starts great runs ok till its warm then dies or screws around when i keep it running ....
    • By Deerslayer
      My 1999 Sportsman 500 since new has had very few issues during the 16+ years I have owned it so it has been a fantastic machine!
      The problem showed up a number of months ago during hunting season and in essence once you start to ride it and then stop, it wants to continue to creep forward and makes it difficult to shift gears and there is a bit of grind when you do.
      Runs fantastic and seem to be no other problems with power to the wheels in 2WD/4WD so the only time you notice it is when you stop and especially if you need to change gears.
      I am looking for a starting point on where the problem could be.
      Appreciate any help!
      Craig