Quantcast

timing belts and engine wear

I bought a 2011 Crown Vic with 300k miles 12 mos ago and I'm wondering how to approach servicing the timing belt. I know very little of it's past maintenance records other than what I've done with it this past year. Basically I'm wondering if I should go ahead and attempt to replace it now, or wait til something starts to go wrong. I don't know how timing belts typically go bad...if they just break or start to stretch or what. If this is an interference engine I'm imagining a fairly bad event so I'd like to get educated and be pro active about it.

Second...Scotty Kilmer teaches that the worst wear an engine sees after changing the oil is before the oil gets pumped back into the filter and then into the engine components during the first engine restart. But he says if you disable the ignition spark somehow when cranking for the first time again, the lack of combustion in the cylinders helps with reducing this kind of wear quite a bit. I don't have an owner's manual and I'm not sure what fuse to pull to disable combustion ignition, or if removing a fuse would be the best way to do this. Any opinions on how this should be done?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By p5200
      I'm having trouble identifying Mark. I know where the mark is in the Stator cover. Is the T at about, the 12 o'clock position in this photo? I've got to buy another Stator cover as the one I have has a hole at the bottom of it. Due to failing eyes, I have a lot of trouble anymore. Thanks! 🙂

• By mga
      I just want to clarify that i was doing the timing correct. I wanted to adjust the valves, so, I removed the spark plug, I removed that little black plastic cap on the side, then, i turned the engine counterclockwise until the "T" lined up with the small groove on the threads where that black cap screws in. Then i checked the valve clearances.
      So, what is the "F" mark for?
      I hope the "T" was the right mark to use.  lol
    • By flyinbrian365
      View File 2011 John Deere XUV Gator 825i service manual
      2011 John Deere XUV Gator 825i service manual Complete service manual TM107119
      Submitter flyinbrian365 Submitted 01/25/2024 Category John Deere UTV  
    • By vlxerdon
      Hello from southeast Georgia. Was gifted a 2000 Yamaha bear tracker with out a carb or battery and looking like it had seen better days. Was told it had sat for about three years. Explained a lot. Put a carb on and a battery in and it started right up. Surprised the heck out of me  Anyhow as stated in my opening I am  78 years old with a very long motorcycle backgground but brand new to atv's. Anyone else out here from Georgia? Would like to meet up with some folks for a ride or two. Looks like a great site. Thanks for having me. 
      Don