Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Honda rancher 420 shuts off while riding fan not coming on.

When running for a while the rancher will shut off without the fan turning on. We then took it to dealer where it was started and warmed up. The fan came on at the dealer so they then replaced the fuel filter and fuel pump. We got it back and ran good for a few days with the fan coming on when needed. Now its back to shutting off before the fan ever comes on. It seems like the time the fan should come on the bike shuts off. It will start after letting it sit for a few minutes. Any ideas of the problem? 

My guess is a wonky  temperature sensor.  Like all electronics /  electric relays and switches , they  can go  intermittent----  work  one time and not the next, then  work  and fail again at random times. I'd replace it and see.  I'm  not  a  Honda dealer or service mechanic but I can't see their thinking in replacing the fuel  pump and filter when the  bike  runs fine until warmed up to the point the fan  should come on.  That's not a fuel starvation issue  that should show up well before the motor reaches  operating temperature.  That  points far more to a sensor/  fan circuit problem to me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Tagged Content

• By wendi loden
      I replaced the fuel pump filter and it ran great for a week or so. Then while driving across the yard in 3rd gear it shut off and hasn't started since. It has fire and its getting fuel, all fuses are good, battery fully charged. The fuel pump relay seems to be warmer than it should be when spinning it over. Any help is appreciated!
    • By Jeni Lynn
      2012 Rancher ES-- only when driving in 4x4 when I get to about 15-18mph there is a loud clunk in the front end and a hard downward jerk. Its almost as if its trying to downshift itself. It doesn't do it in 2 wheel drive.  I have checked the angle shift sensor and applied dielectric grease to it, changed the front end differential fluid (the old still looked good and clean) checked and adjusted the clutch. Hopefully someone can give me some more ideas. 
    • By RDALE352
      My Rancher cranks right up and runs great for a while and then it will suddenly sputter out and die. It usually cranks right back up and again runs great for a while and then same thing. Yesterday it got to where it acted like it wasn't going to crank back up a few time but eventually did. Any suggestions??
    • By redmastercraft
      Any idea what would cause the cotter pin to break and the nut to back off?  The loose hub is wollored out so its trash and the axle splines show a little wear.   I'm going to replace the hub and I'm curious how much play is acceptable before I need to replace the axle?
  • OEM Parts at Aftermarket Prices
  • Similar Topics

• By RatpigHoosier
      The Kodiak 400 I just bought didn’t come with an air filter. I’m searching and am not finding an air filter that will work. I’ve checked Amazon, Bike Bandit, etc., but everything I am seeing is for a Big Bear 400 and reviews are saying it won’t fit a Kodiak 400. The bigger issue I am running into is that the ones I see all have what appears to be a female end for connecting with a clamp to a male inlet. The inlet in my air box is female. Now I know I ain’t no expert on ATV reproduction and procreation, but that just don’t work!
      Can somebody please hook me up with a part number or suitable aftermarket filter?  I really didn’t expect this search to be so difficult…..
    • By lanow
      Hi Everyone,
      I am new to this forum and hope that someone out there can help me, I have an early Suzuki King Quad 300 (280cc) which starts intstantly every time but at about half revs or there abouts it starts spluttering and will not rev any higher, this fault is present whether choke is applied or not, some one suggested that silencer maybe be clogged so removed baffle but no improvement have removed carb and stripped 3 times but still no joy.
      Any ideas would be most welcome.
      Cheers Rob
    • By tom reed
      I am rebuilding a 1990 honda four trax they were so reliable but here in Alabama its very hot in the summer time, being a air cooled engine I have considered adding a cooling fan for the engine and I have plenty of room for it but my question is will that overload the generator and battery on it. Maybe someone out there can answer that
    • By MIKEL5469
      So where do all of you people ride at in this great state of michigan. I ride several different places like leotta,south branch,denton creek,rose city,and plan on going to some places that i haven't rode yet....so sound off and tell me where you ride: yes:
    • By killer420
      I know this has been talked about, so i did some research.
      After my research, i started buying parts.
      Here are the parts you need:
      51380-HP7-A00, left front upper control arm
      51370-HP7-A00, right front upper control arm
      51350-HP5-600, right front lower control arm
      51360-HP5-600, left front lower control arm
      44615-HP5-600, front drive hubs (need 2)
      53521-HP5-600, tie rods (need 2, this is just the adjuster rod, not the tie-rod ends)
      51200-HP5-600, right steering knuckle
      51250-HP5-600, left steering knuckle
      53235-HP5-600, steering arm (connects the tie rod ends to the steering shaft)
      23611-HP5-600, "final shaft", goes inside the engine, provides power to front and rear driveshafts)
      40400-HP5-600, front driveshaft
      44250-HP7-A31, right front axle
      44350-HP7-A31, left front axle
      11300-HP5-000, front crankcase cover
      50350-HP5-600, front differential support bracket
      41400-HP5-A50, front differential unit
      You also need the 4wd shift lever and the cable that connects it to the differential. there is not a part number for the whole assembly, just look on ebay. thats where i got mine.
      Now on to the good part, the turning of wrenches:
      Here is the engine before removal:

after removal:

front differential in position:

^^^notice the "TRX420TM" decal, indicating 2wd
      Here is a pic of the "final shaft", comparing the 2wd (in my hand) to the 4wd (in the engine).

^This is the most difficult part of this conversion, removing and opening the engine to swap out this shaft. However, there is a lovely video on youtube showing how to rebuild this engine and they clearly show the steps to remove/replace the rear cover and final shaft. Dont forget to remove the front cover before installing the new shaft, it will not fit thru the 2wd front cover.
      link to video>:
      once the new shaft is installed:

you will need to install the front and rear covers using sealant, make sure all shims/washers and o-rings are in place in the correct locations referencing the video above.
      here is the right front corner mostly assembled:

and fully assembled with hub, rotor, and brake caliper:

I do have more pictures to upload, when i have more time i will update this further