Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV or UTV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Smoke on Start-up

Richard1234

So I bought three older quads for the farm and the two Suzukis (1986 and 1996) both smoke (oil) quite a bit on start-up, while the other (Yamaha) doesn't.  It isn't a big deal except that I start them in a garage and it gets a bit smokey and smelly! 

Is this a common Suzuki thing or did I just get lucky?? 

If it's a common issue, is there an easy fix?  (For the record, they both run good, and both clear up as soon as they get a bit warm).  

The smoke at startup will probably be the valve guides leaking oil. It runs down the valve stem. The valve keepers/spring retainer plates aren't meant to, but they act like funnels to drain oil down the valve stem while it's sitting over night. There are seals on the valve stem to stop that, which are probably worn, and it might also have too much play between the valve stem and the valve guide, but, if it runs without smoke once it's warm, (and you really want to look for smoke as you put the throttle on at the bottom of a hill to check there is no smoke then), then it will probably come right with just new seals. I think they might also have an O ring under/on the valve guide where it fit's into the head, but they seldom play up. The top ends of those things have a pile of oil up there when you take the valve adjuster caps off, especially the exhaust one, but that is normal and doesn't normally matter as long as the seals are ok.

• Like 1

You are likely correct though it seems to last longer than I would expect from bad valve guides.  

I doubt there is much to do anyways as if it is valve guides or piston rings or whatever, I will likely have to learn to live with it.

I was more curious if this was a common thing with Suzuki quads.   

• Like 1

The suzukis hold a lot of oil up in the valve case. It could leak a lot of oil down the guides. Given the circumstances you describe, I doubt it's the rings.

Oil's cheap..ish.. cheaper than getting your motor worked on by a shop.

And no I don't think a smoking suzuki is a common thing..  I've had lots through my workshop and started them cold and I don't remember ever seeing one smoke bad at cold start.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mikey69
      Heres my story. Kinda long. I guess I was a late bloomer when it comes to quads. I had never ridden a quad in my life. Rode Dirt Bikes as a kid growing up. Back in Oct of '06 I found a Mustang on craigslist. Took it for a test drive one morning before work. Fast car. 351 Cleveland. I had planned on meeting the guy again after work. For some strange reason thats still to this day beyond me, I stopped in Hillsboro MotoSports on the way home from work. I had 6 Grand on me. There was a left over '05 sitting by the front door. It was on sale for $4999. It was $5499 OTD. I didnt even look at anything else. I knew nothing about quads accept I thought it really looked coool and I had the money in my pocket to buy it. I was sitting on it when the salesman walked up and asked... "Can I help you?" Without hestitation I pulled 60 Ben Franklins outta my front pocket and said "I want this Quad. Load it up in my truck." It was just about dark by the time I drove away from the shop. BTW, I didnt bother to ask my ol lady if I could buy it. LOL. Anyway, I took it by the house and showed her. She was kinda stunned but not mad. We drove over to a friend of mines house and unloaded it. I took it to the field across the street from his house. HOLY CHIT!!!!! I was surprised by the power. I had it for about 2 weeks and took it to Sand Lake. I was there a few hours and rolled it on a banked turn at the top of the bowl right before you get to the one-ways. When it rolled, I flew off and landed on my belly. The quad came bouncing and landed on my back. For a month I couldnt even walk. I was scared of it. I considered trading it for a 250EX. Went back to the shop. The salesman said..."Dude!!! You dont want a 250EX!!! Trust me. Just get used to it" I still wasnt convinced. I put it on craigslist for $4000. Calls were coming in. I had a guy that wanted to come look at it that evening. I decided to take it for one last ride at Browns Camp before I sold it. I was still afraid of it. After about 5 minutes I started feeling comfortable on it again. I decided right then, I loved my Honda 450 and would learn how to ride it instead of selling it. That was late Nov of '06. Work was slow for a Painter in Oregon. My new job everyday? Going to Browns Camp and ridding my Quad. I bought my Girl Friend an '02 Blaster. I rode my 450 for 4-6 hours almost every single day for 3 months. And yes, I know my way around Browns Camp pretty well. LOL. In March I bought her an '06 TRX250EX (Thank God I didnt trade my 450 for one of those) LOL Since then, I have become totally addicted to quads. I love them. Couldnt imagine not owning at least one quad. Luckily I have two. My "07 was $6500 OTD in July of '07. Bought it for my Girlfriend. Traded in her 250 EX. A month later we broke up. So, I wound up with two Honda 450's.

• By joshua91673
      hi every one .anyone out there my issue is my kick start wont stay out  i have to have some one pull it out.  it pull out easy just wont stay out to kick it over .kicks over and starts no problem 
      also does this quad have a ajust mint for the rear spring .it sags when i get on it .or is this normal . thanks guys for your time 
      first post 

josh ohio
    • By Chris41586
      New bonehead here figuring out the trails! Just got a 2008 Suzuki Z400, and the guy said he just did an oil change, but needs a little more because he was letting it cycle through before topping it off. He says he used ATV Power SAE 5W-40 Synthetic 4T Engine Oil, but the manual just says use 10W-40. He lives a couple hours away, where it's a little bit colder, so I'm assuming that's why he used 5W instead of 10W? Anyways, I only need a little bit more oil, and since it's already new in there, can I put the 10W in and let it mix? Also, does the brand being the same matter at all? I haven't gone out and looked in person yet, but actual ATV oil seems a bit expensive compared to just getting some standard oil at AutoZone, and the online manual I found isn't that clear on options. I'd appreciate some feedback and experience in this area, as well as the best place to get oil and filters when it's time. Thanks in advance!
    • By Quin
      Recently bought a yamaha beartracker and found that it was more powerfull than another beartracker i already owned so decided to swap carb from one i bought which was an original mikuni carb to other one which has a cheep chineese one in it but it did not like it at all and was bogging under load at full throttle ( leaning out) so just changed it back to original chineese one and it was happy again. Just tought it was strange that 2 identical bikes did not like each others carbs. It also was nothing to do with retricted fuel on one bike as there is plenty of flow on both bikes. Anybody any ideas?
    • eManualOnline
    • By Freedomflyer
      MGoing to apologize in advance to those that have a soft spot for wolves. They are definitely not my favorite species of animal.  They continue to grow bolder and bolder even with the population exploding all around us in this wide open valley floor. This valley is approximately 40 miles long by 35 miles wide. Was once mostly agricultural but over the last 25+ years, the kids of long time property owners have sold to the highest bidder.  Developers buying up small farms and ranches for millions of dollars and eating away at the local agricultural way of life, destroying the rural Montana I, and many natives, once knew, covering up perfect farm land with urban sprawl, never again to produce a grain of wheat or barley,  potato,  canola seed, or any crop of any kind ever  again.  Lining developers pockets, raping and pillaging another rural area and leaving the infrastructure in a colossal mess and the local cities trying to figure out how to pay for the improvements to move the traffic, overloading an already overloaded tax base.
      FINALLY, after years of farmers and ranchers lobbying and legislation, they finally opened up a season to hunt the destructive and devastating consequences of the reintroduction of wolves into Yellowstone National Park. These animals have become a huge problem outside of the park boundary. Did the powers that be actually think these killing machines would stay inside the park boundaries? Really? Hmmmmm, not the sharpest tools in the shed. Their population has exploded over their reintroduction into the park in 1995. They released 41 wolves into different areas in Yellowstone Park, then made it illegal to kill any of them that came out of the park boundaries. Pretty much leaving farmers and ranchers defenseless in protecting their livelihood without becoming a criminal. If they did ever shoot one the investigation process has been so stringent and stressful a lot of them have done the 3 S's. Shoot, Shovel, and Shutup! There are now over 1500 wolves in western Montana, over 1100 in Idaho, over 400 in Wyoming, and almost 150 in Eastern Washington. Who knows how many have migrated back into Canada.
      They finally delisted the wolves and opened up a hunting season on them, something that should have been done years ago before they decimated our elk population. 
      A friend of ours was able procure a tag and was able to fill it yesterday morning. The wolf was down in the middle of the valley floor stalking his cattle on his family ranch, definitely deserved to be taken out. Personally would like to see more taken down, they have gone well beyond repopulation with this program and have spent millions on tracking and thousands of man hours, colossal waste. Glad to see another one gone.

• Gallery Images