Quantcast

Honda 300ex won’t shift up or down plz help!!!

N8dawgg

I have a Honda 300ex trx. Long story short the engine blew years ago and recently we started to rebuild it piston,rods,timing chain,cams, and clutch. In the process of rebuilding it we noticed it wouldn’t shift up or down. We think it’s stuck in neutral but it won’t shift with the clutch engaged, I check the clutch and everything seems to be working/engaging fine we also checked the transmission and even rebuilt it  (looking off a diagram) . Please help!! Thanks!

Can you get it to shift if the motor is off and you are pushing the ATV forcing the gears to move and engine to rotate?

Can you confirm the clutch is releasing and engaging by pushing the quad with the motor off?

Revisiting and wondering if I'm overlooking this EX model is an electric shift?

Wondering if the EX model is electric shift or manual?

The engine is out of the 300ex if you grab the shifting tree that the shfiting lever connects to you can go through all the gears but if you try to shift via  shifting lever it won’t shift through the gears

Message on insta @ynw._nate I’ll send a video of what it’s doing 

That motor uses the more sophisticated ratchet pawl design for the shifter as opposed to a claw/Star design. I strongly suggest you get a shop service manual and go through the transmission chapter pertaining to the shifting mechanism and go from there. Too much to explain here and without you and the machine present its very hard to teach you about handling those little ratchet Pawl's and their springs along with their retention plate.

• 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By skittle021
      So I've got a Hisun 550 that I was doing some work on that required removing the CVT and it's housing. Upon attempting to reinstall the clutch, sheaves, etc, I found that the belt no longer fits - it's far too wide. None of the parts have been replaced, they're all OEM. Exactly the same parts as what I took off a few weeks ago.
      To be more specific, my belt is 1.25in wide, but the gap between the clutch and the primary sheave is only 7/8in wide. I'll include a few photos to explain.
      Has anyone ever experienced such a bizarre problem? Any help at all would be appreciated, I've been stuck on this for a month. I'm open to just about any suggestion.
      Photos: 

• By Its-always-something
      Have a 1998 AC 300 2x4, Just installed a new carburetor. Engine starts easy but the choke RPMs are very hi and take along time (5-10 mins when cold out). After engine has warmed up choke releases and it idles and runs fine., It does no have an electric choke. The choke lever is never used and it seems like an auto choke? Long story short, how can I lower the choke rpm levels?

Also, carb came with a spare145 jet, not 100% sure what is installed. Could this impact choke RPMs?

Any help and information greatly appreciated.
    • By Admin
      View File 2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      2006-2011 Honda Rincon TRX 680 FA/FGA service manual
      Submitter Admin Submitted 04/09/2024 Category Honda ATV  
    • By HSTAR
      Hey I have a 1997 big bear 350 4x4
      I replaced the shifter shaft and the shift arm linkage and the rod when I installed them all I was unaware that you had to line the dot on the shifter shaft with the gap on the linkage arm gap put it all back  together and rode it I can't get it to shift in the right gears  I can move the shift cam by hand and goes in different gears but with the shifter shaft in it riding I can't put it in R or N 
      Anyone know how to line up the shifter shaft and the shift cam s

• By DarkRider
      This is something I'm extremely curious about. Has anyone ever attempted to buy a quad (or any other vehicle) from an impound lot? I've always wondered if this could be a bargain, or a waste of time. Google searches do turn up some helpful results. Looks like the state of NJ holds auctions online which I'd be a bit hesitant about.

My online searches haven't really turned up any results of anyone buying an ATV this way. I'd be really curious if anyone tried this, or knows someone who has. I've actually found a couple pages with online auctions for my state, but none had ATVs.