Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

How do I find out what I have?

Oger69420

Could you post the numbers here..

or....

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is composed of 17 characters. The standard was originally defined in ISO Standard 3779 in February of 1977. Then it was revised in 1983. The ISO VIN is designed to identify motor vehicles of all kinds: cars, trucks, busses, motorcycles etc.

The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) contains three major sections:
WMI - World Manufacturer Identifier (1,2,3 characters in VIN structure) If the manufacturer builds less than 500 vehicles per year than the third digit is "9". The WMI is described in detail in ISO 3780.
VDS - Vehicle Description Section. It contains 6 characters (4th to 9th positions in VIN) and defines vehicle attributes specified by manufacturer.
VIS - Vehicle Identifier Section. The last 8 characters of VIN define Year, manufacturer plant and serial (sequential) number of the vehicle.
The last four characters shall be numeric. The 10th position of the Vehicle Identification Number is a YEAR CODE.

ISO recommends that in VIN code capital letters A to Z and numbers 1 to 0 may be used, excluding I,O and Q in order to avoid mistakes of misread. No signs and spaces are allowed in Vehicle Identification Number code.

Recap with examples:

Digits 1,2,3 are World, Manufacturer, Identifier
Digits 4,5,6,7,8 are Vehicle descriptor Section -- *Somewhat variable based on manufacturer.
Digit 9 is the check digit
Digit 10 is the Year code
Digit 11 is the Factory code
Digits 12,13,14,15,16,17 are the Vehicle Identification Sequence

Let's see how this splits:

First digit - Country code
U.S.A.(1 or 4), Canada (2), Mexico (3), Japan (J), Korea (K), England (S), Germany (W), Italy (Z)

Second digit - Manufacturer
Audi (A), BMW (B), Buick (4), Cadillac (6), Chevrolet (1), Chrysler (C), Dodge (B), Ford (F), GM Canada (7), General Motors (G), Honda (H), Jaguar (A), Lincoln (L), Mercedes Benz (D), Mercury (M), Nissan (N), Oldsmobile (3), Pontiac (2 or 5), Plymouth (P), Saturn (8 ), Toyota (T), Volvo (V), Suzuki (S), Kawasaki (K).

Third digit - Identifier
Motorcycle (1), ATV (A) Kawasaki and Suzuki seem to follow this anyway

Fourth digit - Vehicle category
Data here is Suzuki specific, haven't found info for other brands.
ATV (A), Scooter (C), Business model or commuter (B), Single cylinder sport/street (N), Multiple cylinder sport/street (G), Family (F), Off road (S), V-Type engine, street, V2/V4/V6/8,... (V), Square Four (H)

Fifth digit - Engine Displacement
A=49cc and less
B=50-69cc
C=70-79cc
D=80-89cc
E=90-99cc
F=100-124cc
G=125-149cc
H=150-199cc
J=200-249cc
K=250-399cc
M=400-499cc
N=500-599cc
P=600-699cc
R=700-749cc
S=750-849cc
T=850-999cc
U=1000-1099cc
V=1100-1199cc
W=1200-1299cc
Y=1400-1499cc
Z=1500 & up

Sixth digit - Engine Type
1=2 stroke single
2=2 stroke twin
3=2 stroke triple or four
4=4 stroke single
5=4 stroke twin
6=?
7=4 stroke four

Seventh digit
Design sequence or model version first version uses 1 then second version uses 2 etc... the tenth version would then be identified by the letter A then B etc..

Eigth digit
First version uses 1 then second version uses 2 etc... the tenth version would then be identified by the letter A then B etc...

Ninth digit - Check digit
The ninth vehicle identification number digit is a VIN accuracy check digit, verifying the previous VIN numbers. This is how the check digit works

STEP 1
Assign to each number in the VIN its actual mathematical value and assign to each letter the value specified for it in the following chart:
ASSIGNED VALUES:
A=1 G=7 P=7 X=7
B=2 H=8 R=9 Y=8
C=3 J=1 S=2 Z=9
D=4 K=2 T=3
E=5 M=3 U=4
F=6 N=4 V=5

STEP 2
Multiply the assigned value for each character in the VIN by the position weight factor specified in the following chart:
VIN POSITION AND WEIGHT FACTOR:
1st = 8 10th = 9
2nd = 7 11th = 8
3rd = 6 12th = 7
4th = 5 13th = 6
5th = 4 14th = 5
6th = 3 15th = 4
7th = 2 16th = 3
8th = 10 17th = 2
9th = check digit

STEP 3
Add the products from steps 1 and 2 and divide the total by 11.

STEP 4
The numerical remainder is the check digit which would appear in the 9th position in the VIN. If the remainder is 10, then the letter "X" is used for the check digit.

Tenth digit - Year Code
80(A), 81(B), 82(C), 83(D), 84(E),
85(F), 86(G), 87(H), 88(J), 89(K),
90(L), 91(M), 92(N), 93(P), 94(R),
95(S), 96(T), 97(V), 98(W), 99(X),
00(Y), 01(1), 02(2), 03(3), 04(4),
05(5), 06(6), 07(7), 08(8 ), 09(9),10(A), 11(B), 12(C), etc.

Eleventh digit - Factory Code
Manufacturer code for what plant it was built in

Twelfth to Seventeenth digits - Serial Number

Oh ok.. so it's a trike..  And 200 and 1983..  There will be some forum or site that will be able to break the digits down much more specifically for you.. market and specs, then you can look up parts much more knowingly.. and also use the online parts to narrow right down to exactly what carby and charging and other bits and pieces that vary.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

This might help.

For Honda Decoding:

http://atcvin.webs.com/

This website at the link above will decode all Honda ATC frame serial #s, including pre 1980 ones that are a little tricky. These can be found on the steering neck portion of the frame, behind where the headlight is on all Hondas, and most other makes.

For Other Makes:

http://decodemyvin.webs.com/

This site will decode all 1980+ frame serial/vin #s belonging to Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki machines.