Quantcast

Bombardier Quest 650 (2003)

Purchased my Quest 650 new & now upon startup after setting overnight puffs oil smoke from exhaust . Assuming this is valve guide seals but many of you may have other ideas on this oil burning problem being some other problem. Machine runs great & I consider it to be as new except for the oil burning on startup. It has about 10k miles with routine oil ,filter, changes.  Thanks.

It does sound like valve guide seals, but it could be rings as well. To test the rings you get it warmed up and then start giving it a little amount of throttle so it revs up to about two-thousand revs gently, then you snap the throttle shut, and just keep repeating that process and if you get the revs right, and the closing the throttle right, it will start pumping out smoke if the rings are bad.

Oil is cheap though..  I'd just keep it full of oil, but not too full which could make smoking and oil consumption worse, and keep riding it.

• 1 month later...

Yes sir ,tearing that motor apart if only smoking at start up would only need to be if oil consumption is way high ,doesn't hurt anything and I've seen them come in my shop that have been smoking at start up for years just keep checking oil at every start up and top off. Have fun and keep on riding.

Does it do it only at start up after sitting for a while, and then stop, or does it continue smoking, I have a John Deere that does that and its practically new, less than 50 hrs on engine, im not really very impressed with John Deere that its doing that , but it doesnt cause any problems and doesnt use any oil between changes.

Only after sitting over night, I purchased new & it has over 10k miles. I would not tear engine down for replacing the valve seals as that job can be completed by holding valves closed with air pressure or  rope . Its not a big deal but is a problem that can be corrected with little time...if the price was right for the seals. I'm sure aftermarket seals are available just finding a mechanic who had completed job & has part number/ manufacture is what I need  Thanks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By JohnnyB
      Greetings, 
      Have a 88 LT80 that been sitting for a couple years. Bought a new piston, cylinder and head. Installed these, rolled it over and it quickly locks up.  Took carb apart. It was full of what appears to be 2 cycle oil. Cleaned it, but keeps locking up and 2 cycle oil continues to seap from exhaust port.  When i installed new cylinder, I noticed crankcase was full of oil.  I'm now wondering if that oil is what's getting sucked up into cylinder.  Should there be no oil in crankcase?  If that the case, how is crank and rod lubricated?  Sorry, never worked on a 2 stroke. Thanks!
    • By newguy024
      Just got into ATV riding just last week, never had much money so i couldnt afford to buy anthing, so now at the age of 34 i just bought a 1987 suzuki quadrunner 300 for 500$ took it out a few times and what a rush of excitement to go through that first mudhole haha!
    • By semicolon
      Hi, I am having issues with my TRX350D fuel pump.  It suddenly stopped running so I have replaced all the fuses and cleaned all the terminals.  I have fitted a new pump, fuel cut-off relay and rectifier.  Still nothing!!  The pump runs when attached to a battery.  The engine will start on the choke and the filter fills with fuel but it will  not rev and dies when the choke is closed. I have power to the relay but nothing at the pump black/white wire when cranking the engine.  Any ideas where to go from here would be very much appreciated!!

• By mga
      I see quite a few ads for that  Tribotex additive. It's kind of expensive, has anyone used it it their ATV or any other vehicle?
    • By NZrider
      My king quad 700 runs rough when cold then won't start some times but not often when it's hot. And occasionally smoke's a lot when it's cold I'm guessing that's rings but I'm worried unless it's causing the other problems

All help is appreciated thanks