Quantcast

Eureka!

I have never been riding in that area, but here's what I can find:

California

Samoa Dunes Recreation Area

NOTES: West of Eureka on Humboldt Bay, the Samoa Dunes Recreation Area has 140 acres of open ATV riding. It connects with the new 75 acre Eureka Dunes about 1 mile north of Samoa.

To reach the trailhead from the intersection of US 101 and SR 255 in Eureka, head north on SR 255 across the bay. Travel 2 miles. Turn left on New Navy Base Rd. Go 4.75 miles and turn right onto Bunker Rd. Look for parking.

Oregon:

REGION: Siskiyou National Forest TITLE: McGrew 4WD Trail

NOTES: West of Medford and southwest of Cave Junction, the McGrew 4WD Trail is a remote 20 mile route. The trailhead is located 15 miles southwest of Cave Junction on US199.

I can go further out if you're willing to travel further.

alrighty...here's some for the Bend area.

REGION: Deschutes National Forest TITLE: Edison Butte OHV Trail System

NOTES: West of Bend, the Edison Butte area has 25 miles of trails. To reach the trailhead from Bend, head west on SR46 for 8 miles.

The Edison Butte Trail System, about 25 miles long, is located on the slopes of Kwolh Butte and Sheridan Mountain, west of Bend. The recommended riding season is late June to October because of the high elevation and tendency of snow to cover the trail into the spring and summer months. Currently, no specific OHV signing exists. Riders must obtain a map and follow orange snowmobile diamonds and junction numbers.

The trail system goes through ponderosa pine and manzanita forest in the lower elevations, near the Edison Sno-Park and goes up into stands of hemlock trees near Kwolh Butte and Sheridan Mountain. The volcanic terrain can be challenging because there are many loose rocks and lava ridges to go over. As a result, the trails are considered “More Difficult.” Two snowmobile shelters are situated along the trail, and the Kwolh Butte shelter has impressive views of the Central Oregon Cascade Mountains.

To reach the trailhead from Bend, take the Cascade Lakes Highway (Hwy 46) 18 miles west of Bend toward Mt. Bachelor, turn left at the Sunriver exit and travel another 6 miles south on Road 45. Turn right at the Edison Sno-Park sign.

REGION: Deschutes National Forest TITLE: East Fort Rock OHV - Camp II Trailhead

NOTES: East of Bend, the East Fort Rock OHV Trail System has 318 miles of trails over 110,00 acres. The East Fort Rock OHV trail system lies on the east side of the Bend/Fort Rock Ranger District of the Deschutes National Forest. Trails are well signed and mapped and provide a full range of difficulty from easiest to most difficult. There are two staging areas, two trailheads, and four designated play areas. The trail range in elevation from 4400 to 6400 feet.

The trail system is designed for Class I and Class III ATVs which are ATVs (quads or three-wheelers) and motorcycles less than 50 in width. East Fort Rock is not an OHV park. Off-highway vehicles are allowed on designated routes and areas only. The trails are open to horses, mountain bikes, and other recreationists, so please watch for others and ride sharefully.

The trail system is open all year, however hot, dusty conditions normally inhibit riding from mid-July through September and cold, snowy conditions inhibit riding from mid-December through March. About half of the project area is within the Fox Butte Green Dot Area which restricts access to designated roads during the general deer hunting season. This is roughly a two-week period form late September to mid-October, and any roads or trails within the Green Dot Area will be subject to Green Dot restrictions. Individual trails may be temporarily closed for maintenance or reconstruction or to provide resource protection.

To reach the Camp II trailhead from Bend, Hwy. 20 east about 20 miles. After crossing the Horse Ridge Summit, turn right on the second road, Spencer Well Road (paved Road 23). Proceed south for 5.5 miles until the road forks. Take paved Road 25 to the right and follow the signs to the Camp II Trailhead.

Note: As of September 2007, ATV riding is permitted on Forest Service roads with vertical number signs as long as the ATV has a valid Oregon OHV sticker. ATV riding is not permitted on any Forest Service road with a horizontal number sign.

REGION: Deschutes National Forest TITLE: East Fort Rock OHV - South Lava Trailhead

NOTES: East of Bend, the East Fort Rock OHV Trail System has 318 miles of trails over 110,00 acres. The East Fort Rock OHV trail system lies on the east side of the Bend/Fort Rock Ranger District of the Deschutes National Forest. Trails are well signed and mapped and provide a full range of difficulty from easiest to most difficult. There are two staging areas, two trailheads, and four designated play areas. The trail range in elevation from 4400 to 6400 feet.

The trail system is designed for Class I and Class III ATVs which are ATVs (quads or three-wheelers) and motorcycles less than 50 in width. East Fort Rock is not an OHV park. Off-highway vehicles are allowed on designated routes and areas only. The trails are open to horses, mountain bikes, and other recreationists, so please watch for others and ride sharefully.

The trail system is open all year, however hot, dusty conditions normally inhibit riding from mid-July through September and cold, snowy conditions inhibit riding from mid-December through March. About half of the project area is within the Fox Butte Green Dot Area which restricts access to designated roads during the general deer hunting season. This is roughly a two-week period form late September to mid-October, and any roads or trails within the Green Dot Area will be subject to Green Dot restrictions. Individual trails may be temporarily closed for maintenance or reconstruction or to provide resource protection.

To reach the South Lava trailhead from LaPine, head east on Finley Butte Road (CR22) for 24 miles. Follow the signs to the South Lava trailhead.

REGION: Ochoco National Forest TITLE: Millican Plateau OHV Trail System

NOTES: Southeast of Bend near Prineville, the Millican Plateau OHV Trail System is managed by the Prineville District of the BLM. The Plateau provides a variety of desert riding experiences from easiest to more difficult. There are 111 miles worth of trails for Class I/III OHV's, of which 37 miles are also open to Class II OHV's. The Four Corners Staging Area has an information kiosk providing maps and information for riders.

The Millican Plateau offers a true desert riding experience. The soils are mostly sand with rock outcrops and the vegetation is a mixture of sagebrush and juniper. The best riding season is during the winter when there is good ground moisture. There are only a couple of weeks during the winter when the trails are not rideable due to snow or frost.

The Millican Plateau is open for riding year round. During the summer, hot, dry, dusty conditions may inhibit riding. Individual trails may be closed temporarily for maintenance and reconstruction or to protect resources. Extreme fire conditions or snow may also close the Plateau for short periods of time.

To reach the trailhead from Bend, follow Highway 20 east about 4 miles and turn left on the Powell Butte Highway. Go about a half mile and turn right on Alfalfa Market Road. Once you have turned onto Alfalfa Market Road it is 16 miles to the Four Corners Staging Area. Alfalfa Market Road turns into Willard Road which turns into SW Reservoir Road. Follow SW Reservoir Road to a four-way intersection (Four Corners) where SW Reservoir Road meets the Millican Road. Continue east 1/8 mile and follow signs to Four Corners OHV Staging Area.

If you need the maps to the areas, I can email them to you if needed.