Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

joet82

Can Am DS450 X Steering Stem

what is the advantage to having an aftermarket steering stem vice buying an OEM stem?

I bent mine in a roll i took on my first ride in cali. everything works fine, but I'll need to replace it eventually.

In talking with friends, most recommend buying an aftermarket stem....but y?

Most of the time the oem stuff isn't much cheaper than a better quality after market part. A lot of the after market stems have anti-vibration components built in. Plus they are stronger.

most factory handlebars are kinda buttery for a reason- so you bend the bars and not the stem. been there, done that. I rather pay $22 for factory bars than $230 for a new steering stem, wouldn't you? That's what is risked when guys put those hard-as-stone bars and clamps on a stock stem. Instead of the bars bending, the stem does. And it ain't cheap! and I don't wanna change any more hahaha Solution: a hardened aftermarket stem?

A hardened stem often bends the front of the frame! yes it got worse LOL and way more expensive.

Think about it before you go and spend $200 on bars and clamps.....you are setting yourself up for a larger repair bill.

:skeptic:

ya, it's 170 for an OEM steering stem. 250+ for aftermarket. and I learned from my break in maintenance that I'm doing all my own maintenance.

I just don't want to pay the $300+ for them to do a bad job on it. I don't really trust my local shop. and it's the only one within an hour.

buy a repair manual and do it yourself.

When I have a big project I usually go out and look it over closely, then devise a plan to do it. Take your time. Once it is done, then you will know the shortcuts and be able to help out other folks.....The first time I adjusted valves on a yamaha it took forever, Now it's a piece of cake. Your only other option is to take it to a shop. It's like going to the Doctor or the VET [that's a different rant] nowadays.....:chatterboxn:

buy a repair manual and do it yourself.

When I have a big project I usually go out and look it over closely, then devise a plan to do it. Take your time. Once it is done, then you will know the shortcuts and be able to help out other folks.....The first time I adjusted valves on a yamaha it took forever, Now it's a piece of cake. Your only other option is to take it to a shop. It's like going to the Doctor or the VET [that's a different rant] nowadays.....:chatterboxn:

that's what I've been looking for, the repair/maintenance/shop manual, but have yet to find any online for the 08 can am ds450

Sorry, cant help you with that, perhaps someone on the Bombardier forum can. they're in Canada, shouldn't be difficult to find in a search..... sorry that's all I have. I will surely look around for you- it's out there somewhere.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.