Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

patrickd

piston ring position on a Suzuki LT250R

I'm trying to replace the cylinder base gasket on an LT250R 2 stroke.

This is the first time I have done anything like this. Can someone please tell me how to orient the ring gaps on the piston? I heard that there were locating pins to keep the rings from turning to the ports. Please help so I don't ruin something. Also any ideas for compressing the rings?

Thanks Much

If you have it that is great. I was going to tell you on the gaps in the rings should line up with a place in the piston. They need to be on that place. You can compress the rings with your hands until you get the piston in the jug.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• Early 2000s Polaris Trail Boss 325 4 Stroke Fuel Issue

I wanted to ask this question before I pull this thing apart and dig into the carb. Very seldom used for a couple years but took it out the other day and it ran like crap. Blows black smoke on throttle (unburnt fuel) and sound like a multi cylinder engine with a misfire. Won't rev very high on full throttle but seems to be smooth at about 1/3 or less throttle. Choke doesn't seem to do anything and thinking perhaps it's stuck closed. If I turn off the fuel and let it run for a minute It will rev like normal under full throttle until it stalls out from no fuel but as soon as I open the fuel line again it goes right back to running rich/flooding.   Any help or ideas would be great. Trying to avoid tearing it apart and rebuilding the carb but the only thing I can think is the choke is stuck cause with the fuel off it will rev just fin seemingly as it's emptying the float bowl.

By Brian Haley, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 4 replies
    • A Jewish 400ex cylinder head?

The title is for attention. I’m prepping my cylinder head off of an unknown year 400ex to install on my quad. And I’m examining it and there’s literally a Jewish start( Star of David) protruding from the metal on the camshaft side of the head. It’s not imprinted or etched/ engraved. It’s coming out of the metal. DOES ANYONE HAVE INFORMATION ON WHY ITS THERE??? I’ve attached a picture 

By Jordan Alexander, in Honda ATV Forum

• 3 replies
    • 2007 Honda TRX 420 ES Rear Axle Repair/Replace

This bike has a straight axle that is moving horizontally in the housing in both directions about 2 inches. Has anyone had the same issue if so what did it take to repair it? Thanks.. Darryl

By Darryl Traina, in Honda ATV Forum

• 5 replies
    • Finally a fresh new 400 two stroke motor in a 1995 Polaris scrambler

I bought a 1995 Polaris scrambler 400l 4x4 out from under a pine tree here in northern Maine the only action it seen was a plow truck hit it twice in 9 years when I got it home I tore it down the starter and rewind was full of rusty mud cleaned the carburetor put a new plug 3.2 ounce bc oil gear case oil mustard bottle shot of gas in the cylinder wrapped a rope around the clutch and pulled wow sled motor right got about 20 hours of pure full throttle fun then I buried it in a little place we call fiddlehead run black mud that I swear locked up the tires on a Kawasaki brute and snapped a shaft I flew across the top anyways long story even longer I killed crank bearings complete engine rebuilt in my or I should say my wife's living room it was hard on her now its fleshly installed I ported and polished it new everything inside I want to out drag raptor 700's I hate guys that can't change a plug I want to keep the 4x4 but alot of weight also sprockets what's the best combination and my main jet should I change it and I want to know if I can add a nitrous kit to it does anyone know if it will take down a raptor 700 if not I'm gonna put an xc700 shortblock sled motor in it   

By Bobby Belmain, in Polaris ATV Forum

• 0 replies
    • Cleaning a Nikasil Plated Cylinder

In this video, Jonathan describes how he cleaned a Nikasil plated cylinder. Aluminum cylinders are often coated with a harder material such as Nikasil (Nickel Silicon Carbide). Over time, the softer aluminum of the pistons can rub off onto the cylinder. When rebuilding the top-end, this should be cleaned off. This can be done using hydrochloric acid which reacts with aluminum to produce hydrogen gas and aluminum chloride, which washed off with water. Since Nikasil is resistant to corrosion, it is undamaged and protects the cylinder during this process. Here is the chemical reaction: 2 Al (s) + 6 HCl (aq) → 2 AlCl3 (aq) + 3 H2 (g)   Resurgence Small Engine Inc. ATV, Snowmachine, Motorcycle, & Outdoor Power Equipment    

By Resurgence Small Engine Inc., in General ATV Discussion

• 0 replies
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By DemonQuad666
      Sup Gang,
      So Im Picking up my crated 89 LT250r next weekend... I have no Idea what shape its in other than its completely tore down. Chassis im told is in great shape and fresh paint. Still sending off to powder coat after gusset install (if I can find a kit). This will be my first Resto/Mod so any tips, special tools, words of advice would be much appreciated. I have no doubt this project will take months and several $$$. I plan on doing all the work myself except for the Motor and paint. Any suggestions on reputable 2 stroke gurus i can ship the motor to ???  Again any help would be much appreciated. Pics coming as soon as i pick her up.....Until then... Deuces...
    • By DemonQuad666
      Hey all. I've been riding ATV's and Dirt bikes since i was like 12 or 13. Mainly trail riding, old coal mines, slag pits, farm fields, back roads ect. ect. Started on a Honda 90, then Big Red, KX 80, XR250R (which almost killed me). Bought a brand new 1999 Blaster and modded the hell out of it for MX. Sold it a year later when I found out i was gunna be a Dad. I travel all over the US for my Job. So home is where I park the 34 footer. Now that my little one is in high school and my career is booming. I need a project.  I've always wanted a TRX 250R. Ever since i was a kid and the neighbor down the road bought one brand new in 1988.  So, I've been doing research, shopping around, started a secret Quad fund, and talking to people. Well come to find out one of my fellow Electricians on my job site who works for our customer is/was a fellow ATV Enthusiast. Our mutual love for 2 strokes sparked a conversation about rebuilds and restores. Something I have never really done but He had. long story short, He offered me a deal on a 89 LT250R Crate bike. one I couldn't refuse. In a week or two we are going to clean out his storage shed which is full of  chassis, motors, parts parts parts. Load it all up and bring it to his new house. In return for my volunteering to help he said the Suzuki is mine FREE!!!!! I plan on documenting the entire build and hopefully in a few months i'll be screaming down the trails. Updates to come and I'm sure many many questions to follow... Untill then ... Deuces 
    • By Jers
      I need to know what I have and what tire really go on it, Mine has 24x11x10 on the back and 22x8x10 on the front and I need new tire but I don't think are the right size. Also I can't find the model number listed but it looks like a 250 quadrunner 2wd and I think it is a 1987 maybe, can anyone help me, also I it has a rich running sound and I put a carb diap in it and cleaned the carb. is there a jet needing replaced?
    • By evlsnke
      loud clicking, snapping noise under load when accelerating.
    • By Steve1266
      I went out to ride my quad today. When I started it up it ran for a minute, then died. Since then it will turn over but won't start. I've check the spark plug and get great fire. I have had this quad for about 6 months, and very new to breaking it down. But need help. Thanks