Quantcast

Nice Article............ Why UTVs you may ask, what's the hype?

Pop quiz for you: What is the name of the little in-line, jet-propelled boats that became popular in the 1990s?

For awhile, the generic term for these little craft was “water scooters.” Then industry insiders referred to them as “personal watercraft.” Aside from the official names, however, brand names became the most popular forms of reference. Folks talked about their “Jet Ski” or “Wave Runner” or going “Sea-Dooing,” even if they didn’t own a Kawasaki Jet Ski, a Yamaha Wave Runner or a Sea-Doo from Bombardier. But under whatever term, the little boats became very popular in the ’90s.

Flash forward to today: By far, the fastest growing segment of the powersports market is UTVs. Or Side-By-Sides. Or Recreational Utility Vehicles, Recreational Side-By-Side, Utility Side-By-Sides, Off-Road Utility Vehicles, Rhinos, Rangers, Mules or whatever else you want to call them.

Advertisement Whatever the name, the category is generally defined by the seating capacity (two across) and the fact that the machines use a steering wheel and foot pedals instead of handlebars, a thumb throttle and brake handles.

At the end of the day, most dealers and consumer don’t care what the machines are called, as long as the manufacturers keep building them!

UTVs are white hot. Folks from major manufacturers tell us they can’t keep up with the growing demand. Our Buyer’s Guide in this inaugural issue of UTV Magazine includes 16 different companies that currently manufacture UTVs, and well-placed rumors say that Suzuki, Bombardier and Honda all have working prototypes and may join the market in the next 18 months.

So why are they so popular? It starts with their usefulness. A properly equipped UTV can take workers and their tools across a huge ranch to get to a jobsite or into rugged backcountry to service a powerline. A UTV can take a couple hunters, their dog and their gear to their remote hunting land or it can be used to patrol the beach by lifeguards. We’re also starting to see UTVs on trails, at riding parks, in sand dunes and also at some race tracks.

Why else are people turning to UTVs? Some folks prefer the stability of a UTV over an ATV. Increased hauling capacity is another reason. The ability to carry a passenger is huge — surveys tell us that many men would never ride front-and-back, 2-up on an ATV but have no problem sitting beside another guy in a UTV. The utility-based UTVs still control a large share of the market, but increasingly folks are taking the sporty UTVs and turning them into high-performance off-road carts or sand rails.

That said, there are many things the UTV market doesn’t have — aside from a commonly accepted name. There is no industry organization that all the manufacturers belong to; in many states there are no official rules or laws that determine where or how these things can be used. And, until now, there is no true national magazine dedicated to letting consumers know more about the UTVs, the products that can be placed upon them and the places you can use them at.

With all of this in mind, we present this first issue of UTV Magazine. This year it’s a section within ATV Magazine, but in 2007 it will be a stand-alone product 100 percent dedicated to the UTV market. We’ll continue to have some UTV coverage in every issue of ATV Magazine, but the UTV market deserves its own outlet, and it will get it in 2007.

Courtesy of ATV Magazine

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By David Cameron
      The small waterline insert for the hose that goes from the water pump cover to the thermostat housing has corroded off. I only need the insert on top and behind the thermostat housing that the hose goes over and can't find just the insert. It looks like it may be pressed in. I've have been told the entire motor housing needs to be replaced. The pic with the red line indicates where the hose and insert would be and the insert looks like the pic of the water pump  Any ideas would be really appreciated.

• By quadcrazy
      The year 2023 has brought exciting advancements in the world of UTVs (Utility Task Vehicles) and Side by Sides. These off-road vehicles have gained immense popularity due to their versatility and ability to navigate through rugged terrains. Let's explore some of the best UTVs and Side by Sides available in 2023.
      1. Polaris RZR Pro XP

Polaris is a renowned name in the UTV industry, and the RZR Pro XP is a testament to their commitment to excellence. The 2023 model comes with a powerful 925cc ProStar engine that delivers impressive acceleration and top speeds. Its dynamic suspension system ensures a smooth ride, even over rough terrain. The RZR Pro XP is also equipped with advanced safety features, such as a reinforced frame and integrated roll cage, making it a top choice for thrill-seekers.
      2. Can-Am Maverick X3

The Can-Am Maverick X3 is another impressive UTV that deserves recognition in 2023. This side by side offers exceptional performance with its turbocharged Rotax engine, providing exhilarating power and torque. The Maverick X3 features a robust suspension system that allows for aggressive off-roading, while its ergonomic design ensures driver and passenger comfort. With its cutting-edge technology and stylish design, the Can-Am Maverick X3 is a popular choice among UTV enthusiasts.
      3. Yamaha YXZ1000R

Yamaha is a trusted name in the motorsports industry, and their YXZ1000R model continues to impress off-road enthusiasts. The 2023 version comes with a potent 998cc engine and a sequential manual transmission, providing precise control and quick gear changes. The YXZ1000R features Yamaha's industry-leading suspension system, allowing for exceptional handling and stability. With its sporty design and reliable performance, the Yamaha YXZ1000R is a top contender in the UTV market.
      4. Honda Talon 1000R

Honda enters the UTV market with the Talon 1000R, a robust side by side designed for off-road adventures. Its 999cc parallel-twin engine delivers ample power, while the advanced suspension system ensures a comfortable and controlled ride. The Talon 1000R also features selectable drive modes, allowing drivers to adapt to different terrains and conditions. Honda's reputation for durability and reliability makes the Talon 1000R a compelling choice for UTV enthusiasts.
      5. Kawasaki Teryx KRX 1000

Kawasaki introduces the Teryx KRX 1000, a UTV that excels in both performance and durability. Powered by a 999cc engine, the Teryx KRX 1000 delivers impressive torque and acceleration. Its sturdy frame and reinforced chassis allow for aggressive off-roading, while the advanced suspension system absorbs bumps and shocks. With its bold design and rugged capabilities, the Kawasaki Teryx KRX 1000 is a reliable companion for any off-road adventure.
      Conclusion
      As we venture into 2023, the UTV and Side by Side market continues to offer impressive options for off-road enthusiasts. The Polaris RZR Pro XP, Can-Am Maverick X3, Yamaha YXZ1000R, Honda Talon 1000R, and Kawasaki Teryx KRX 1000 stand out as some of the best choices available. These vehicles combine power, performance, and durability to provide an exhilarating and safe off-road experience. Whether you're a seasoned adventurer or a recreational rider, the 2023 UTVs and Side by Sides mentioned above are sure to deliver on all fronts.
      Do you agree? Comment below

View full post
    • By n4cer26
      Just finished replacing water pump seals and impeller on my 97 Magnum 425 due to oil leak out of the weep hole. Haven't owned it very long and have only riden around the yard a couple times because I only recently got it. I installed a new bullet aluminum impeller and made sure the nut was tight and that thebimpeller was not spinning on the shaft. My oil leak is now fixed.

I filled the radiator and let it run. The motor seemed to be getting hot and the radiator fan never came on. Looking into the radiator its hard to tell if the coolant is circulating due to the vibration of the quad. Never looked down the radiator prior to pump rebuild so not sure how it compares now.

Think it could be a bad thermostat or air in the system? Is there a refill procedure? Any advise is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

• By n4cer26
      I chased down the leak on my 97 Magnum 425. I have a nice leak coming from the water pump weep hole. I am being told the oil seal inside the pump needs to be replaced. Can anyone tell me what is involved in the repair. Can it be done without pulling the motor? Thank you!

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk

• By CaseFabrications
      Since the very first ride after I bought my boy his DS 70 (2018) I have had an issue with it cutting off after splashing through water and not wanting to start for a minute or 2 waiting for wherever it is to dry off that is causing it. I went through and put dialectic grease on all the connections and it continued to do it. Not nearly as bad as before but still. Today before we went riding I put a good bit in the spark plug boot but toward the end of the day it started doing it again. Do y’all have any ideas on what might be causing this and a solution? Also I buy and sell wheelers a lot and it seems like every little one I get when I break them down to clean the carbs all the dry box and boots and what not seem to be siliconed. Is this standard practice on these small ones or just coincidental that I keep getting them that way?