Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Marks0520

Will not start with new starter in it ony spins

96 kaw 400 4x4 bought a new starter for the atv and it just spins was told if the gears spin both ways a gear would have to be replaced in where the flywheel is need to know if this is true or false ?

im not shure about that ? but i do know most have a starter clutch (one way gear )its what grabs and turns the motor over when the started engages

ok... i have worked on several kows and have had to replace the 1 way gear (starter clutch) on a few ... what was it doing b4 you put the starter on ?

ok .. im not shure about the gears going both ways thing .. but if you get a chance to look at a schematic or a manual... then it might help

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Belmontie
      Hi bought a 2012 kingquad ASI last year a great machine which is a delight to ride, but I find sometimes it doesn’t go into top gear just revs high at about 42mph. Any idea ???

• By Ajmboy
      Disconnected the plow yesterday on my 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 and am getting ready to do some riding yesterday and the battery went weak, Starter cranked a few times but week. Put my trickle charger on that I bought and went to the garage today to start it up, but the starter is just spinning and not engaging. The solenoid is clicking. The pull start sucks and is hard to pull (never use it and need to look into that). Quick video of the starter spinning. Could it be the starter or  the starter clutch one-way bearing? I guess I need to take the cover off to see what's going on.

2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 Starter Spinning.mp4
    • By mrfartsalot
      I have a 2001 suzuki quadmaster 500 4x4 that has a rev limiter when it is in any gear other than neutral, i have already fixed a bunch of stuff on it and would love to just bypass it if anyone knows how. Thanks for any help.
      video-1583184277.mp4
    • By mailman1
      I have a 96 Big Bear 350 2 x 4 and I noticed last fall that when I went to start it that the starter would not engage when I pushed the starter button. This spring I charged the battery to make sure that it wasn't the problem but still wouldn't start. I get a buzzing sound from the solenoid when I push the starter button but no sound from the starter at all.  I took the batt. cables loose and cleaned them on the starter and both solenoid posts still nothing. I can start it by pulling the starter rope with the 1st or 2nd pull no problem.  About 10 years ago or so I had the starter armature turned down as the shop said it was getting worn some maybe it is getting to that point again. Anyone have any ideas feel free to jump in.
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By Ironfist104
      My wolverine has a new carb kit, new battery cranks over and over take it to the point of killing the battery to start sometime.... but it I give a tug on the start rope while I'm cranking it with the starter it fires right up.... any advice?
    • By izzydum1
      Any ideas on what would make a coil not fire? She was running fine, then began slow start. Now wont start at all.
    • By Suzuki24
      I have an 04 ltz and it started sputtering a little bit while going down the road and I was low on gas so I just figured that's what it was. But now I can't get it to start I completely cleaned the carberator put a new spark plug and coil pack in it and all it does is turn over. It has compression it's getting fuel and it is sparking but all it does is turn over any idea what it is??
    • By Snowden
      Hi everyone,
      I have a question, if the starter clutch gear looks fine but is still not working correctly then all I should need to replace is the one way bearing, right?
      thanks,
    • By Blue
      Hey all I have a question on my 94 fourtrax 4x4. The electric start won't work. When I hit the button I hear the solenoid clicking but nothing happening. I put on a new solenoid and same thing happened. So I took off starter and checked it, brushes looked good nothing looked out of the ordinary. My battery is putting out 11.2 volts. I wouldn't think that would be it since I put a newer battery in from my other quad and still got same results. Any ideas I'm scratching my head on this one.