blaze

2003 Yamaha Big Bear 400 - Starter Sticking

I have a 2003 yamaha big bear 400 4x4. it was working no problem and now the starter is staying engauged with the switch on or off Ive checked all the fuses and wire and everything looks ok took the wire off the starter and tapped on it also still engauged dont no what else to check or do any help would be alsome Thanks.

•  Like what you are reading? Please help us by sharing this content.

remove starter sounds like the bandix is sticking, might just need to be cleaned and reassembled. If not might need the starter rebuilt.

The starter motor is staying powered? That would be the starter relay sticking. If the starter is being driven by the engine while its running than the one way bearing on the flywheel has failed.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jw7054
      Okay well I got a starter with a Yamaha moto 4 I bought but I'm 99% sure it is not a moto 4 starter. I can't find numbers on it any where.
      So what I'm looking for is
      A. What is it from/for?
      B. How do I test it, because I'm gonna sell it, via eBay, craigslist, something.
      Pictures

Thanks!!
      Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    • By viper
      how do u get a starter out of a250sx 1986? have it loose but can not get it out
    • By viper
      how do u get a starter out of a250sx 1986? have it loose but can not get it out
    • By funforfree33
      I have a 99 BearTracker. As soon as I put the positive terminal on the battery it starts cranking over whether the key is on or not. Any Ideas?
    • By footbal9584
      Ok another issue with this wonderful machine that I would greatly appreciate if you guys could spread shine light on.
      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdUgp-WuuSI]Polaris Phoenix 200 starter issue - YouTube[/ame]
      As you can see in the video it usually takes the atv at least two tries for the starter to grab the engine, sometimes more. It has been doing this since we got the atv and we asked the dealer after we first noticed it and they said it was normal. It doesn't seem normal to me since I have never seen an atv that was this bad with a starter.
      Also you can hear an odd noise right after you turn off the atv, like the starter is disengaging finally or something.
      The teeth on the starter are fine which is leading me to believe it is the starter gears themselves.
      Before I drop $100 on new gears, what do you guys think? Could it just be one? How can I tell? Again any help or insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks