Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

toonces

Tools and stuff for back country riding

New to ATVing and by the end of the summer I'll probably be heading out into some remote mountain regions for some back country trail riding, and I'm wondering just what kind of stuff/tools etc I should bring along in case of breakdowns/events etc. Short list so far includes a GPS (probably a Garmin Montana 650T), a tire repair kit, and courtesy of my Mom one of those satellite personal locator beacons, probably the ResQLink+ from ACR.

Any other suggestions for stuff that might come in handy?

The GPS and locator are good ideas.

The tire repair kit will be extra weight unless its a plug type since id have doubts on getting the beads broke down. Green slime really works and eliminates flats from cactus and small punctures.

I'd carry a few tools like pliers, crescent wrench, screwdrivers, wrenches to fit the fasteners on your machine and a hammer.

Other items for your kit might include mechanics wire, electrical tape, knife (or leatherman), tube of silicone, flashlight, a good quality folding shovel, a couple ratchet straps and some poly rope.

Guess that's all I can think of for now.

Edited by kvf700

Thanks kvf. I"ve posted this question in a couple places so after I get all the info I'll come back and post the total big list.

OK here's the big list of all the suggestions I've been given, alphabetized to help sort out the duplicates. It's crazy long and of course depending on the type of exploring you’re doing not everything’s entirely necessary. The list covers everything from a light day ride to really back country stuff miles away from anybody. Long list but probably still worth a read through.

6" socket set extension

air compressor (batt powered) or high volume manual pump

air pressure gauge

ammo boxes to keep everything dry

battery - USB for phone

battery pack for atv (Antigravity) (Peak booster pack fairly cheap)

boots

bug repellent

bungee cords diff size

camera

can of baked beans

can opener

carabiners - 2

cell phone charger

cell phone in a ziploc bag

channel locks - the big ones (my blue handle ones)

clevis to attach to a pulley to a tree with tow strap

CO2 cylinders (3) or can of fix a flat

compass

cotter pins

crescent wrench

D rings

dry socks

electrical tape

fire extinguisher / fire extinguishing materials (prob lighter and smaller than a whole fire extinguisher)

fire extinguisher

fire starter stuff – alternatively some fine steel wool and a 9v battery

first aid kit (simple)

flashlight

food - cans

fuses - spare

garbage bags 2

gas – 2 gal

glasses - extra pair of Rx

gloves (light leather)

goggles

gorilla tape

GPS w/ extra set of new batteries

hammer - small

hand cleaner

handgun

head light bulb - spare

helmet

hex keys

hooded sweatshirt

ibuprofen

key - spare for ATV

LED light bar

light – black diamond head light

light sticks

lighters - two

multi tool

multimeter

needle nose pliers w/ wire cutter part

newspaper for fire

paper map of the area

pepper - just regular table pepper about 5oz or more - plugs radiator leaks, blown head gasket

pepper spray - bear

PLB - persona locator beacon (satellite)

pliers

pulley for winching

pulley block

rain clothes

ratchet straps (2 small like my camo ones)

recoil starter

relays - spare

rope (poly - at least 50 ft)

saw - folding

screwdriver - multi

shovel - small fold up

side cutters ?

silicone rubber tape

silicone tube

small saw

socket set - 3/8 and 1/4 drive, or a 3/8 drive w/ 1/4 adapter – largest socket is a 3/4

space blanket

spare belt for a CVT drive

spark plug + gap tool

spark plug socket/wrench

spray bottle of soapy water

T25 and T15 drivers

tarp (small for rain events)

telescopic magnetic pickup tool

test light and volt meter

tire plugs - twice as many as you think you'll need

toilet paper or wipes

tow strap

towel old

trunk on back rack to carry everything

universal tool kit like...

This link is available to logged in members only. Please login or register to view this link.

utility knife w/ spare blades

valve stem tool and spare caps

vice grips - a 4in adjustable and a 12in adjustable

water – lots bottles pre-frozen

winch

wire - electrical - 10 ft of 14ga

wire (bailing) - wire spool – (snare wire) (mechanics wire)

wrench adjustable

wrench to remove axle castle nut - in case you break a drive shaft

zip lock bags

zip ties 12'-15'

That's quite a list and should cover everything.

I wasn't sure if you had a winch on your machine, if you do good. I carry a clevis, snatch block and short piece of chain which with winch can be a life saver.

Just a couple more items I thought of; fencing pliers and a can or two of sterno.

Are you going to be by yourself? If so try to be careful since you won't have immediate back up in case of breakdown or injury.

Edited by kvf700