Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

toonces

Shortening and crimping some big a## wires on a winch install

Putting in a SW Terra 35 and I've decided the crimp I'm looking at here isn't something I can reproduce so I need to figure out who to take this wire to get the end put back on after I get it shortened to where I need it. Never having delt with wires this big I have no idea who I could go to just locally to get this done. What kind of (electrical?) business would deal with stuff like this?

1_zpsoaxj6zwd.jpg

any lineman will have the tools. many electricians will have them it is called a high press tool. many older parts stores have the tools to do a battery cable. Any electrical supply store will have the tools on the shelf just ask to try one and they will most likely let you do what you need.

Might mention they also sell connectors this size in set screw instead of crimp fit. You might try that route if you can't get someone to crimp you one. All actual electrical supply stores (Butler supply, Phillips supply, etc) will have the connectors and the tools.

Edited by switch
added info

In a dire situation you can crimp these with a pair of bolt cutters just be aware that you do not go beyond crimping and cut it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Steve Howard
      Ran find shut down the quad next day would start and idle when you try to accelerate it would start popping through the carb got a rebuild kit soaked it in chem clean after break down for 12 hours on slow vibrate reassembled and adjusted per manual still the same thing any help would be really appreciated thanks and happy ridding  
    • By jim estes
      Just got a Terrapro, almost by accident. Does anyone know why it wont lock into reverse? I know reverse works because I can hand shift at the tranny. Its almost got to be in the linkage...any idea? 
    • By JacobSlabach
      recently picked up some project bikes off CL for cheap.  got a honda fourtrax (the ancient 4x4 kind with the straight axle in the front as well as the rear and a back-up kick-start)  plastics are crap, but my goal is to get running like a champ and patch the plastics up and sell to one of my many friends that want a reliable 4x4 for dirt cheap and doesnt care what it looks like.
      so the former owner says it needs carb rebuilt, but its sat for 3+ years since so who knows.  things I see:  carb is missing (he gave me a box of parts along with the bike), engine turns over and feels good with kick-start, brakes need work, battery missing (That always puts me off, cause then I know most likely someone's been tampering with the electrical.
    • By Sheila Hillis
      2008 Polaris Sportsman 800 HO EFI. Has anyone ever tried to move a radiator back to its original spot from a relocated spot.
      I cant seem to get the radiator seated correctly. Any thoughts?
    • By Frank Angerano
      I received this set this week and used them. 
      Could not be happier.  You strip the wires put them into the connector and hit them with some heat.   The tube shrinks and has a gasket material that melts and surrounds the wires, then there is a strip of soft solder that melts as well connecting the wires.  
      Very strong. 
      👍🏻
      50 pcs Solder Seal Heat Shrink Butt Connectors Electrical Marine Automotive Waterproof Wire Splice Insulated Connector Kit 26 24 22 20 18 16 14 12 10 Gauge AWG https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LK2YJQC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RZ-GCb3N1M9Q1
  • Similar Tagged Content

• Guest Fox300exchic
      By Guest Fox300exchic
      There are many ways to install grips and make them stick. The best one, short of having grip glue, is to use carb cleaner. First, clean your handlebars with carb cleaner and a rag, then spray the inside of the grips liberally. The carb spray acts as a lubricant first and then actually melts the grips enough so that it will bond to the clean handlebar. This works great for all but the most extreme conditions. If wet weather is involved, you really need to use grip glue, and in addition, you should follow that up with some safety wire.
      QUAD off-road magazine
    • By mallen14
      Looking for anybody who can point me towards a free service manual for 1998 Big Bear 350. I found the sticky thread but all the links, from 2012, no longer work. If anybody has one please let me know. Thanks
    • By Racer944
      Hi Folks;
      Has anybody on here installed a winch on a 2003 Magnum 2x4? I am using a Cycle Country adapter plate (only one I could find), but am having a bit of trouble getting it all to fit properly, and am looking for someone that may have done this install and/or may have some pics of the installation.
      Thanks!
      Eric
    • By dctaz37
      My ATV started making a rubbing and clunking noise. I took the skid plates off and found that the front u-joint on the shaft that connects the front axle to the transfer case is toast. My manual does not reference this repair. Looking for instructions.
    • By Barrysquad
      Somehow I lost all of my spark on my 350Big Bear, its a 1990. It ran well for maybe 3 days! Thought it was the carb. Cleaned it 4 times. It was losing power at midrange. Got worse and worse. Finally nothing!
      Are these good coils? I was thinking I could swap?
      2002 Honda-200cc: primary 0.4(ohm-200) secondary 9.0(ohm20k)
      1990 Yamaha-350cc: primary 0.8 secondary 11.0