Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

87 bayou 300 pulling my hair out

Bikerdave

Bought this bike wouldnt start gas pouring out of the carb and no spark. So after rebuilding the carb and repairing some burnt wires to the stator she fired over. Ran her for all last year. She puked out again. No spark again. Determined that the ignitor went. Replaced the ignitor and she fired back up again. So changed the oil and filter to get ready for the winter and was riding an puked again. Now I can only get it to start intermittantly after blowing out the spark plug and adjusting the gap. It will run for a bit then puke again. What I found out completly on accident is that if I leave the plug wire off a little so that the metal isn't touching inside but the rubber holds it on it will fire and run this way. But if i push it on all the way it doesn't start at all. Is my plug bad? Or the wire boot? I'm pulling my hair out here. You can hit it from a dead cold and it will fire right over but as soon as you drive it a bit it pukes. Have to pull the plug wire off a bit to get it to fire again. This seems weird. I'm not great with quads its my first one I'm more experienced with bikes. Is this indicating the resistor in the boot is bad? Help

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

It tested good before I changed the cdi and plug but I'll check it again. The stator also checked good. But I'm starting to think one or the other or both has a heat soak issue. A short only happens after its warm. If I let the engine cool off overnight and start it she fires right over runs great for a little bit and then boom poops out again. I also noticed that the exhaust header was glowing cherry. That tells me it's running lean. Or the spark timing is off. Is the trigger timing adjustable on this like a motorcycle?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk