Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Steve1266

2004 Suzuki z400

I went out to ride my quad today. When I started it up it ran for a minute, then died. Since then it will turn over but won't start. I've check the spark plug and get great fire. I have had this quad for about 6 months, and very new to breaking it down. But need help. Thanks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By uzejo
      My lakota has a new carb and just had a top end redone by a professional, but it will not start. The electric start turns it over great, there seems to be compression. It seems like its trying to start, getting right there and just doesnt catch. It does start occasionally, but wont run for more than a couple of minutes and smells rich. Im assuming the carb needs to be tuned, but im just wondering if anyone else has any ideas before i get a chance to work on it.

Thanks
    • By Todd Trask
      Hello All, Finally got around to messing with quad. I found bad grounds & faulty coil. Ordered new today. Stole coil from other quad and made spark......woohooo....👍🏻. Well I temp installed new coil and made spark. Figured I would pour little gas in carb to see if it fires. No fire ..tried a little starting fluid just to see if it would fire. No fire.. well if I have spark, add clean fuel but No fire or booms from quad what’s so ever. Any suggestions..
    • By Ed Zeppeli
      Hi all,

I picked up this quad after the previous owner couldn't get it going.

The issue is that I can't get it to fire at idle or at all.

I've...

- replaced plug. Decent blue spark. Also tested with spark tester inline.
      - rebuilt the carb. PO had already bypassed vacuum lines from petcock. There's fuel at the cylinder
      - Checked compression with new gauge. reads 190 psi
      - cleaned all contacts I could access.
      - am currently jumping with car battery. Solenoid jumpered.
      - checked cam timing at TDC and adjusted valve lash
      - put gas directly into cylinder to see if it will fire at least momentarily

Motor turns over well. Plug gets wet. 

Motor may fire once or twice but smokes through exhaust a bit as if it's trying to fire or combusting.

This leads me to suspect timing. As mentioned I checked the flywheel mark versus cam marks. Perhaps someone has been in there before because I can't find a 'T' on the flywheel but there is a very visible paint mark which aligns with TDC position on piston. Possibly a slipped flywheel/woodruff?

Is it possible that if it had seen previous repairs, that the timing could still be off? I'm reluctant to dig into the flywheel/stator area if there's something else I could have missed but all signs point me to that area. Would a bad CDI cause spark timing to be off?

Anywhere else to diagnose incorrect spark timing?

I've scoured these forums and elsewhere but I'm posting just in case there's something I've overlooked up until now.

Thanks very much for reading!

Warren
    • By Brittany Jones
      Yes I just got a 1998 polaris xplorer 400 4x4. Ran fine after hauling then died. Cleaned carb and put new fuel filter, hose, and new battery in. Starts 3 out of 10 times but will only run for a short time. Any suggestions?
    • By bryanta0502
      Hi, im looking to increase the power of my 1995 king quad 300. I was wondering what other people are doing to increase the power of their quads. Are there any big bore kits, would putting bigger jets in the carb do much? Just wondering what I could do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Similar Tagged Content

• By LTZ-Zach
      So i was riding the other day and my quad randomly shut off. It started back up and ran completely fine for a little while and then it started idling terribly.
      I cleaned the carb and changed all the jets and everything except the float due to the rebuild kit not coming with one and it actually runs worse then it did before.
      It will run and idle decent now but when I give it gas it dies.
      Does anybody know what could be wrong?
      I also changed the spark plug and air filter along with the oil and oil filter.

• By Cobra_GT
      i am buying a z400 and am wondering what smooth bore carburetor you guys are running for performance on this quad. Flat or round slide and what size. i would like to get that cv carburetor off of there for performance, thanks. peace.
      ct
    • By Cobra_GT
      What’s up fellows I am looking for some heads for z400 motors or the whole motors themselves. Also I am looking for Keihin FCR carburetors in 39mm and or preferably the 41mm is what I would prefer. The newer the better I hate to price a new casting of that head from the dealer. Please hit me back in the thread or pm me if you can help me. I need to build a motor to beat a Banshee. All offers will be considered. Thanks for your attention in the matter. Peace.
    • By Jers
      I need to know what I have and what tire really go on it, Mine has 24x11x10 on the back and 22x8x10 on the front and I need new tire but I don't think are the right size. Also I can't find the model number listed but it looks like a 250 quadrunner 2wd and I think it is a 1987 maybe, can anyone help me, also I it has a rich running sound and I put a carb diap in it and cleaned the carb. is there a jet needing replaced?