Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Garmin Rino 700 series trail maps?

Hi guys new to the page here. I'm a former Ontarian and an avid atver because of where I grew up on the southern tip of Algonquin. I'm coming back home for a couple weeks and for a few days of hunting with the old man. I'm looking for advice from those who have experience with Garmin trail maps. I'm also new to Garmin devices so I'm looking for a file that is super easy to download onto my existing card and is as simple as looking at a road map on a GPS....no need for navigation or fancy features.... literally just want to see the main trunk trails and the more common branch trails as I mostly know my stomping grounds. I'm using the Rino 755t with a 32gb card with lots of space. 

Any help would be appreciated!

For those of you who are social media fans you can check out my Saskatchewan adventures on insta @theycallmeontario 

Thanks guys!

I have the Garmin Oregon 450t. It has the 100k Topo map built into it and I have used custom maps frequently.

The format for a custom map is KMZ which is also known as a Google Earth file. (if you open the file on your computer, Google Earth will display it) To copy a custom map, connect it to your computer, you should see two removable drives open up. You want the one that refers to the SD card (usually the higher drive letter), copy the KMZ file into:

X:\Garmin\CustomMaps   (X is the drive letter of the SD card)

Now on my unit, to display the map is:  Setup -> Maps -> Select Map, will show what maps are on the SD card, touch it and then select "Enable" , you may or may not want to turn off the built in map depending on how it looks on screen, it may be too cluttered with both maps on.

I have software where I can make my own maps from any JPG or PDF file. It is not free, but there may be free options out there, do a online search, I think you can do it with Google Earth.

I have taken maps of ATV trail systems and did this so I can see exactly where I am on the trails, I also use it for other hobbies and really like this feature.

Mike

What I use is called ExpertGps. The home version.

https://www.expertgps.com/

You can draw your own maps or overlays and export them to KMZ and upload them right into your unit. There are times I will make tracks and points and upload them right from the software. I use this software for multiple applications so its worth it to me to own a copy.

Mike