Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

William Waterworth

Mechanic to just look over my quad.

I dont really know much about working on quads, just go off of manuals and luck. I recently got a 1987 Moto 4, YFM350ERT that could use some work. Is there or does anyone know a mechanic in Phoenix, Arizona that might be able to take a look. Be able to tell me what it all needs and basically a diagnostic that wont break the bank. Any advice would be appreciated

As for me I would try and stick with brand specific mechanics.  Like if it’s Yamaha the. Take it to a Yamaha mechanic. Really would trust loved ones lives with luck right!

Troubleshooting is a special talent. Most ATV engines are basically the same except for some minor differences. The service manuals are great for torque specs and disassembly/assembly procedures. You do however need to have some mechanical inclination know your noises and the difference between a mechanical and electrical issue. I've seen some of the worst messes caused by guys who are great at taking stuff apart but can't put it back together or just throw parts at stuff based on what they read on a forum.

• Like 1

I just got a Yamaha 350 moto 4 and right before I got it the guy took apart the case and most of the inside. Was like wtf, but had to jump on it for $150. I printed off the manual just need to get working on it.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Forum Topics

• By Rob113
      Hello guys! I ride a triton 450 super moto. i hawe change connecting road... Now all is okey,test drive ok manny km done. But there is one problem...i hawe buy a new accu. But the starter is verry hard rotate...almost stops.  So the motor is wery hard to start. I hawe trie connect the starter directley to accu and its the same thing.Before rebuild the starter has work normal.
      What hawe i done wrong?
      Sorry for my English:)
    • By Mikey69
      Heres my story. Kinda long. I guess I was a late bloomer when it comes to quads. I had never ridden a quad in my life. Rode Dirt Bikes as a kid growing up. Back in Oct of '06 I found a Mustang on craigslist. Took it for a test drive one morning before work. Fast car. 351 Cleveland. I had planned on meeting the guy again after work. For some strange reason thats still to this day beyond me, I stopped in Hillsboro MotoSports on the way home from work. I had 6 Grand on me. There was a left over '05 sitting by the front door. It was on sale for $4999. It was $5499 OTD. I didnt even look at anything else. I knew nothing about quads accept I thought it really looked coool and I had the money in my pocket to buy it. I was sitting on it when the salesman walked up and asked... "Can I help you?" Without hestitation I pulled 60 Ben Franklins outta my front pocket and said "I want this Quad. Load it up in my truck." It was just about dark by the time I drove away from the shop. BTW, I didnt bother to ask my ol lady if I could buy it. LOL. Anyway, I took it by the house and showed her. She was kinda stunned but not mad. We drove over to a friend of mines house and unloaded it. I took it to the field across the street from his house. HOLY CHIT!!!!! I was surprised by the power. I had it for about 2 weeks and took it to Sand Lake. I was there a few hours and rolled it on a banked turn at the top of the bowl right before you get to the one-ways. When it rolled, I flew off and landed on my belly. The quad came bouncing and landed on my back. For a month I couldnt even walk. I was scared of it. I considered trading it for a 250EX. Went back to the shop. The salesman said..."Dude!!! You dont want a 250EX!!! Trust me. Just get used to it" I still wasnt convinced. I put it on craigslist for $4000. Calls were coming in. I had a guy that wanted to come look at it that evening. I decided to take it for one last ride at Browns Camp before I sold it. I was still afraid of it. After about 5 minutes I started feeling comfortable on it again. I decided right then, I loved my Honda 450 and would learn how to ride it instead of selling it. That was late Nov of '06. Work was slow for a Painter in Oregon. My new job everyday? Going to Browns Camp and ridding my Quad. I bought my Girl Friend an '02 Blaster. I rode my 450 for 4-6 hours almost every single day for 3 months. And yes, I know my way around Browns Camp pretty well. LOL. In March I bought her an '06 TRX250EX (Thank God I didnt trade my 450 for one of those) LOL Since then, I have become totally addicted to quads. I love them. Couldnt imagine not owning at least one quad. Luckily I have two. My "07 was $6500 OTD in July of '07. Bought it for my Girlfriend. Traded in her 250 EX. A month later we broke up. So, I wound up with two Honda 450's.

• By Frank Angerano
      I know everyone comes here looking 👀for manuals and gets frustrated with the  10 post minimum  😢 to bad but it’s worth it trust me!!! So after you get your manual and use it here’s a topic  
      To all the people that have worked on many types/models of ATVs  and used the repair manuals for the various types of manufacturers etc.  
      I’ve worked on quite a few different brands and have always referred to the manual where I need to.  So my question is what manufacturer do you think has the better layout with regard to working on and understanding the manual? For example I have looked at quite a few electrical diagrams/schematics and have found that Kawasaki has the easiest to follow!  I looked at Polaris and get completely baffled sometimes and have to decode the dam thing before I can understand it.   This also follows suit with working on the engine and drive train.  So I’m curious who do you think has the most user friendly repair manual???  
    • By pokolbinguy
      Hi All,
      Following on from the brief interlude in the "introducing myself" thread....

In a nutshell, I acquired a YFM250 Moto 4 (1991) for cheap recently with the previous owner citing "no spark, needs a new magneto coil and I don't have time to fix it"... anyway I am dubious that the magneto/generator is the issue and thinking more along the line of ignition coil as after a clean up of the magneto I was able to get a rather decent voltage reading off the magneto with pull start and resistence readings seem to check out that the magneto is all ok (all 3 x phases = 1.2 ohms and no run to ground)
      None the less I ordered a new Ignition coil and Magneto/generator coil and am waiting for them to arrive.

In the mean time I cleaned up the current Magneto, popped in a new battery and sparkplug, checked out all the wiring harness, all seemed good except I came across the "neutral switch" wire was broken.

After wiring up a new neutral switch wire, the neutral light now comes on  (small win) and the starter relay (attached to rectifier) now clicks. If I hit the starter switch on handle bar the starter motor spins and if I  pull the cord starter I get a spark on pull....YAY!! I'll try and attach a video below if possible.

So onto the starter motor. Starter solenoid seems to work A-ok, even if it looks crappy and starter motor spins as it should when I hit the start switch....but here is my issue.

When the starter motor runs it turns Cog #1 and Cog #2 (see photo below)....but the chain in the back of the starter which I assume is the timing chain, does not move and there is no apparent movement of the piston in the cylinder.

If I turn it by hand (per photo) or with the pull starter however the chain moves and the engine turns. However cog #2 rotates but not fluidly with the "Crank" (part I turn by hand) for the lack of a better word to use if that makes sense?

Is there a grub screw or similar on Cog #2 that fixes it to the center shaft to make it all turn when the starter motor is run? Could there be a part missing? Previous owner had the starter apart so could be possible?

The outer/front part seems to be on a key-way so not sure how to remove this easily to check how Cog #2 is attached.

What am I missing here?

spark_baby.mpg

• By steve1
      Hi people ...I am thinking I will prob spend the next 12 months solid on here trying to get my 800 Hisun working right but that is life I guess....it all started when a very large lady sat on me in the bus when I was three...and things havent got any better since...my poor old 800 is pretty crook ...fuel wise and gearbox wise as well. I went on the net and saw a heck of a lot of posts from guys that are really enthusiastic about theirs and I thought  wow they cant be all bad...so maybe I can pickup some tips from your forum posts....I am currently removing millions of screws from the body to access everything and then I guess I will see if anyone has worked out the wiring and devised some tests....back to the screwdriver for now...
    • By mikeexplorer
      Came across this site today that has a lot of Arctic Cat information. http://shop.arcticcat.eu/isoled-shop/media/uploads/service_support/?dir=

Mike

• Similar Tagged Content

• By mwood
      I just acquired a new ATV and know nothing about the brand so I decided to join your forum to maybe learn and get some answers .
      I am not new to ATV's but usually am a Honda guy and own 3 Honda's and 1 Kawasaki.
      The Kawasaki was a package deal type thing. I got a Kawasaki 350 (big bear I think) and a Honda TRX 70 ATV for cheap.
      The new one is a Kazuma 150 Falcon ATV.
      I also own and ride a Honda Rincon 650, the wife has a Honda Recon 250.
      Hopefully I can get the Kazuma running with your guys help........
    • By southwestutv
      Just started a new website with some great ATV and UTV trails in Arizona. We have driven every mile of every trial listed. We will be adding more!!
      Southwest UTV---UTV, ATV and Off Road Trail Information
      Thanks
    • By utvboard
      PHOENIX, AZ – SEPTEMBER 15, 2009: The Arizona Dirt Sand Expo has combined with the Arizona Motorcycle Expo at the Arizona State Fairgrounds for one big show the weekend of December 12th and 13th. With the economic state, the promoters AZ Expos, Inc have changed the structure from a formal show to a SuperSwap with very affordable $100 booth prices. AZ Expos goal is to provide companies the
      More...
    • By quadcrazy
      This video was submitted to the QUADCRAZY Video section by GrizzlyRider.
      Description of Video: Who knew the mythical creatures could be found in the hot AZ desert? Part 1 of this story has the bizarre report. Part 2 has the sights and sounds of Sasquatch! Both from KTVK in Phoenix.
      Video Tags: bigfoot arizoma
      http://www.quadcrazy.com/video/video/&v=118544568630
    • By CJRenaJohnson
      I am not sure how to upload a video on here, so I will post the link to it.
      Let me know what you guys think :-) I was really excited to be in this video for ATV Source.
      ATV Source - Videos - 2009 - Kawasaki 2009 Teryx 750 FI 4x4 Sport Video