Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

MJohnston

Manual Gear problem 2003 Eiger 400

The unit seems to work great except 4th gear.  When I use the foot shifter to go into 4th gear the unit makes chattering noise.  Almost as if some teeth are missing on a gear. Even though it makes this noise, it still seems to run ok in 4th.  However I always shift right away into 5th gear which works just fine.  Has anybody experienced this and found the cause and solution?

I had this situation with 3rd gear on a Honda 200x three wheeler several years ago. It was a constant humming in 3rd gear, not just when first shifting into it. Yours only makes the noise when shifting into 4th but once there it stops? Mine ended up being a chewed up gear, when then took out the corresponding gear on the other shaft. So I had to split the cases and replace two gears. A lot of time, but not hard or very much money.

Rob

Edited by rdlsz24

Yes it makes the noise the whole time when I'm in 4th gear,   It's not a humming noise though, it sounds more chattering,   Like you say potentially chewed up gears. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Chase Cook
      I have a 2001 yamaha warrior YFM350x and started to work on it. The person who I got it from put a new top end kit in it. I already took the top end off and checked, brand new still. Had to clean the valves so it can get better compression. Put it back together and turned it over and and made good compression but also had a loud clanking noise at the bottom, put hand over carb and stopped making the noise when I turned it over. And won't start.  I know it is not the top end. Just cleaned it and valves. Need help trying to figure out what's the problem.. thinking it's the crank rod but don't know. If it is the rod can i just get a new rod for it?(would be great if so). Or does it need a hole bottom end . In need of help.
    • By Tahj
      I am looking to see why my 2005 Grizzly  660 won't crank. I have set the valves but suspect a loose timing chain.
      When working to remove the valve cover I found a "cap tensioner case" - parts #25  - #299 on Babbitts site.
      The  cover seems to bridge the valve cover and the cylinder head. What the hell is it and what surprises will I  find if I remove it?
      Uncharted territory for me.
    • By Wesley Floyd
      Hey guys, Thanks for looking at my post. I haven't had a lot of experience with problems like this before, so I'm a little bit at a loss. The Quad was really hard to shift, (the dirty carb leaking gas making it idle high didn't help either). The only Idea I have would be is that the torsion spring is worn out, and that there is a normal parameter for how much it should move when those two arms of the shift shaft assembly spread apart.  That's my thought. Maybe someone who has more knowledge then me can let me know if i'm on the right track 😀

• By dirtjunkie85
      I have a 2008 Teryx and it has been great the only complaint I have is the engine or transmission noise inside the cab, it is a loud wine and has been this way ever sense I bought it any suggestions or products that may help quite this noise down a little??
    • By 220Bayou
      What weight gear oil for this machine?
      80w90?