Quantcast

Suzuki king quad 300 idles great but Boggs when you apply throttle

Go to solution Solved by 97kingquad,

Okay so I bought this 1997 sazuki king quad from a guy and he had it for a few years. 

He had it registered and on the trails last year but he said it bogged and backfired when he would try to drive it. so it sat for a year. 

I bought it for 800 bucks and got it running that night and it ran great for a few days 

But I parked it the other night and went to start it again and it was really hard to fire up and when I did it was bogging and idling high then low again.

So I took the carb out and cleaned it (ended up doing it twice because it was still doing the same thing) 

Now today I have it running slightly better, but it is still like 20% 

I have been looking it up and trying to figure it out but I can't find the issue, has anyone else had this problem? I'll attach a video of it running and giving some throttle 

• Admin changed the title to Suzuki king quad 300 idles great but Boggs when you apply throttle

Make sure the carb isn't letting gas leak into the throat. My King quad did this and I could only figure out what was going on by looking into the carb while the bike idled. I attached the video of what was happening and a picture of the piece that I needed to replace. Also changing those o rings didnt fix the problem bc it was leaking from the center circle where the needle goes.

20220411_200109.thumb.jpg.164dc4af46b1c70b7770fe146a6c482e.jpg

20220411_184502.thumb.jpg.16074a845b022631ab2afadfe2372142.jpg

Edited by DayBreakJim
  • Like 1

Randy, I've known that for about ten years before you'd ever experienced the problem and came into forums looking for advice about it.. Even my early teen sons knew about it before you..

The difference is that we all know it can be a dirty or broken wire, That it's not always a dud regulator like you reckon..

Okay so I went through and tested the regulator rectifier/ stator and it seems I'm not getting almost any voltage. 

Would that cause all this fuss? 

It ran great for a few days and now it will only idle if I rec it up it Boggs and dies if I don't flutter the throttle. 

My battery was dead before when it ran well also and it doesn't change when using a booster pack.

Maybe it just doesn't get enough volts at higher rpm?

Actually Randy..  I was just thinking about it because it's so comical, and I knew about it before my sons were even a twinkle in their mum's eye, and they are thirty and thirty-two now, and they were both familiar with it when they were about fifteen, maybe twelve.

Yeah well we'll let people decide that for themselves.

You "logic", if that's what you call it, goes something like this..

R  I skidded on a slippery road and had a crash once.

M  Perhaps you dozed off, or were going too fast, or your tyres needed attention.

R  No, only slippery roads cause crashes. Nothing else but slipper roads cause crashes, and here's a whole heap of newspaper clippings to prove it.

M But Randy, I could find you a whole lot of newspaper clippings showing that speed causes crashes too. People should slow down and make sure they aren't tired and check their tyres. Every police department says to slow down and check your tyres. It's well known that speed can cause crashes.

R No, that's bad advice.. People shouldn't slow down or check their tyres. That's bad advice Mech.

Yes sir.. 

Like you say Randy, the internet is a big place and we can't hide from our posts..  I know when you got into quads, I know when you first had a regulation problem, I seen you asking for help to diagnose it.. 

But, like you also say, you just come in here to argue..  And like I keep saying, I come in here to help people, and you Randy, can't be helped..

You carry on, someone might feel like a stupid and pointless argument, but I have trouble lowering myself to your level of stupid.. I can't oblige you.

1 hour ago, Mech said:

Yeah well we'll let people decide that for themselves.

You "logic", if that's what you call it, goes something like this..

R  I skidded on a slippery road and had a crash once.

M  Perhaps you dozed off, or were going too fast, or your tyres needed attention.

R  No, only slippery roads cause crashes. Nothing else but slipper roads cause crashes, and here's a whole heap of newspaper clippings to prove it.

M But Randy, I could find you a whole lot of newspaper clippings showing that speed causes crashes too. People should slow down and make sure they aren't tired and check their tyres. Every police department says to slow down and check your tyres. It's well known that speed can cause crashes.

R No, that's bad advice.. People shouldn't slow down or check their tyres. That's bad advice Mech.

Yes sir.. 

Like you say Randy, the internet is a big place and we can't hide from our posts..  I know when you got into quads, I know when you first had a regulation problem, I seen you asking for help to diagnose it.. 

But, like you also say, you just come in here to argue..  And like I keep saying, I come in here to help people, and you Randy, can't be helped..

You carry on, someone might feel like a stupid and pointless argument, but I have trouble lowering myself to your level of stupid.. I can't oblige you.

Looks like you forgot to take your meds, Narcissus.

You totally ignore the guy wanting help while you pout and cry.

4 hours ago, 97kingquad said:

Okay so I went through and tested the regulator rectifier/ stator and it seems I'm not getting almost any voltage. 

Would that cause all this fuss? 

It ran great for a few days and now it will only idle if I rec it up it Boggs and dies if I don't flutter the throttle. 

My battery was dead before when it ran well also and it doesn't change when using a booster pack.

Maybe it just doesn't get enough volts at higher rpm?

If it ran great with a dead battery that is evidence that the regulator is faulty.  It's a known issue on these quads.

The higher the rpms, the higher the voltage will be unless the regulator regulates it properly.  Once the voltage gets to 18v the cdi will not function.  Having a dead battery will act as a regulator and lower the voltage so the engine will run better.  That's why Mech said to try turning the lights on to see if it runs better.  I taught him that a year ago and he can't stand it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gwbarm said:

Thats a good thing to do 97, do you mean you are not getting any voltage from your stator, or regulator. What about the pick up coil.

Stator, I unclipped the wiring that comes from behind the rear tire and tested with my multimeter and I read less than 1 volt on all of them 

15 hours ago, JustRandy said:

Looks like you forgot to take your meds, Narcissus.

You totally ignore the guy wanting help while you pout and cry.

If it ran great with a dead battery that is evidence that the regulator is faulty.  It's a known issue on these quads.

The higher the rpms, the higher the voltage will be unless the regulator regulates it properly.  Once the voltage gets to 18v the cdi will not function.  Having a dead battery will act as a regulator and lower the voltage so the engine will run better.  That's why Mech said to try turning the lights on to see if it runs better.  I taught him that a year ago and he can't stand it.

Ok so I tired switching the headlights on but it makes no difference from what I can tell. 

I have removed the carb at least 20 times now adjusting the needle and set screw but none of it has had any impact on my issue. The only thing that has made the bike run better and hit any higher rpm is actually removing the cover from the air intake. It runs almost well. 

I know it is not supposed to be like that but I really can't figure it out. There's no debris in the intake and the carb is pretty clean. The Jets and vacuum lines all seem clear. 

Why does it need more air? Even when I max out the set screw it starves for more

15 hours ago, Mech said:

You need a good battery in it 97. Try switching the headlights on and see if it makes a difference..  The lights will provide the load the battery isn't.

But it was running great without one shortly before all this. And now when I remove the airbox cover it runs pretty well but backfires here and there

Are you aure you sparkplug and coil are good ?

It's not good enough just looking at the sparkpklug when it's out and sparking, they can fail under load.

You also need a good battery and it's very likely here that you more than one fault.

Do you have a timing light ? Put it on and watch it while the bike starts to faulter. If the spark get intermittent then the spark is breaking down.. But that doesn't test the spark plug.