Quantcast

Suzuki king quad 300 idles great but Boggs when you apply throttle

Go to solution Solved by 97kingquad,

When im rebuiling them i try to go back With OEM also , i want to get it as close to factry as possible, but i will admit when my rotor went bad in my Eiger magnets came loose, i did not pay the 600 for OEM, i cheaped out.

Sound like you had a blast in the water hope everything dries out good. Glad you have got it going, you have worked hard on it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

I remember seeing the rusty fuel pump back in post #223, but wasnt sure if it was the one from the 250 or the 300, but that may not be what you were referring to.

I just pulled up the old picture, but have been waiting on the rebuild kit. So I cleaned and put the parts that were in the best shape back together and have been using it like that since but Tuesday I get the new petcock and fuel pump kit 

• 2 weeks later...

So I picked up two arctic cat 300s they were parts bike but Ive got both turning over and have spark, they get fuel but I can't get it to fire up, even with some starter fluid down the carb and I tried the spark plug hole. 

I'm thinking I will have to open up the engine and see what's going on inside as I don't know how long it sat. I'm grabbing a compression tester tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas, also do I have to pull the engine to take out the piston and change the rings? There's a fair bit of room, I have all the plastics and racks off because I had to redo the wiring harness. It was a mess.

On 8/31/2023 at 8:31 PM, Gwbarm said:

I would definately check the compression, valve may not be sealing, those engines are fairly resiliant but could have a broken ring, i havent worked on to many arctic cats but i dont remember having to pull the engine to change rings.

On that note lol, I pulled the head and cylinder. Cylinder wall looks a bit crusty but the piston seems good. I cleaned up the valves and they seems fine so I reseated them.

I'm just wondering if I should get a new cylinder or if it would hone out. Or if I would have to bore it and upgrade my piston 

Just now, 97kingquad said:

On that note lol, I pulled the head and cylinder. Cylinder wall looks a bit crusty but the piston seems good. I cleaned up the valves and they seems fine so I reseated them.

I'm just wondering if I should get a new cylinder or if it would hone out. Or if I would have to bore it and upgrade my piston 

received_326412023138038.jpeg

1 minute ago, 97kingquad said:

received_326412023138038.jpeg

Also this is the exact same engine that is on a king quad correct? So I could hypothetically take parts from my king quad engine aswel 

The head looks good if the cylinder does not have deep gouges in it it should clean up good. I would mik the cylinder for wear just to see. Dont know your budget but since you have it all torn down it would be a good time to freshen all that up, if you plan on keeping it, a hard call.

I am positive arctic cat used the suzuki 400 engine, not  100% positive of the 300 but i would guess that it is. I think i read somewhere that the engines were the same.

It's identical to my king quad 300 engine, and I am going to look into putting a new cam chain and I'm gonna try honing out the cylinder and if it cleans up nice I will get an oversize piston. If not I will try the head off 1 of my two other parts bike engines until I can get something on and running. 

My budget is I am building a bike from the ground up. It was two parts bikes I'm going to make one, it has papers too so I will do a complete engine swap if I have to. I have no deadline I am building it for my girlfriend. And learning how to do it as well. So I will fix things along the way when I can.

I got the piston out and the rings were seized in so I had to pry them out.

Just judging based on the cylinder wall though I assume I will either have to replace or upsize my piston 

It's identical to my king quad 300 engine, and I am going to look into putting a new cam chain and I'm gonna try honing out the cylinder and if it cleans up nice I will get an oversize piston. If not I will try the head off 1 of my two other parts bike engines until I can get something on and running. 

My budget is I am building a bike from the ground up. It was two parts bikes I'm going to make one, it has papers too so I will do a complete engine swap if I have to. I have no deadline I am building it for my girlfriend. And learning how to do it as well. So I will fix things along the way when I can.

I got the piston out and the rings were seized in so I had to pry them out.

Just judging based on the cylinder wall though I assume I will either have to replace or upsize my piston 

IMG_20230903_210022310.jpg

IMG_20230903_210015635.jpg

Its been stuck there for a while, i dont see any deep gouges it should clean up well. If you are planning on trying to hone it out to the first oversize piston thats a job. I did it once and it didnt really come out that great, it worked but took forever, you know i will try anything once, but wouldnt do it again. I would get my piston and rings and take it to a machine shop, or around here we have  motorcycle shops that do boring, 100.00 a hole. Thats 100 well spent if they do it right. The problem i had honing to the next size the hone stones didnt really stay where they were supposed to as they were spinning and they were ripples in the bore. You may have a better hone and it might work perfectly, but it didnt for me, plus it needs to be very exact piston to wall clearance.

On 9/3/2023 at 11:08 PM, Gwbarm said:

Its been stuck there for a while, i dont see any deep gouges it should clean up well. If you are planning on trying to hone it out to the first oversize piston thats a job. I did it once and it didnt really come out that great, it worked but took forever, you know i will try anything once, but wouldnt do it again. I would get my piston and rings and take it to a machine shop, or around here we have  motorcycle shops that do boring, 100.00 a hole. Thats 100 well spent if they do it right. The problem i had honing to the next size the hone stones didnt really stay where they were supposed to as they were spinning and they were ripples in the bore. You may have a better hone and it might work perfectly, but it didnt for me, plus it needs to be very exact piston to wall clearance.

So update. I got the engine running and it runs great, I found the piston rings were seized on the piston so I took it apart and cleaned it up and hones the cylinder and also reseated the valves it has good compression and fires up pretty good now. But I found multiple cracks in the frame so I ended up pulling the engine and rear end to swap into the other bike 

So update. I got the engine running and it runs great, I found the piston rings were seized on the piston so I took it apart and cleaned it up and hones the cylinder and also reseated the valves it has good compression and fires up pretty good now. But I found multiple cracks in the frame so I ended up pulling the engine and rear end to swap into the other bike 

IMG_20230909_162027527.jpg

IMG_20230909_162018225.jpg

IMG_20230909_162013256.jpg

1 minute ago, 97kingquad said:

IMG_20230909_162027527.jpg

IMG_20230909_162018225.jpg

IMG_20230909_162013256.jpg

Ps I will be getting a gasket kit but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a waste of time first

19 hours ago, Gwbarm said:

You have been busy, glad you got it running without spending any money, cylinder looked like it would cleanup well. Its good you got the rings free without breaking one, thats what generally happens to me.

Yeah I'm glad I'm in the two bikes for 400 and parts/tools another 200 but I pulled the rear end off both last night. I found another crack and said the hell with it I'm swapping frames so I'm undergoing cleanup at the moment

I'm building it for the woman so she wanted it red

I haven't done much of the paint fyi! It's her bike 

IMG_20230910_131537457.jpg

IMG_20230910_131531332.jpg

IMG_20230910_005732111.jpg

IMG_20230910_005724938.jpg

IMG_20230909_230946923.jpg

On 9/10/2023 at 2:55 PM, Gwbarm said:

Good you have help

It runs and drives pretty good for a pieced together bike that was seized up for idk how long, I just used rtv before to make sure I could get it running before investing too much but I went ahead and ordered a new top end gasket kit and I got some calipers to check the cylinder size so I can get the proper rings to put on. But besides that I'm just cleaning it up now, 

As it was a parts bike like the other I had when I first got onto the rebuild I found a couple cracks in the frame. So I welded them and welded angle support  then later on in the rebuild I found two more on the bottom of the frame so I ended up pulling the wiring harness speedometer and brake lines, shifting linkages off and pulling the rear end of both bikes out.

(Honestly though good on ya arctic cat because besides the rear end being a bit hard to manoeuvre the rest of the bike is easy to walk around)

I have new brake line on from Canadian Tire for 8 bucks and have to bleed the lines to get it up and running again, but I think I am going to pull the head again. Clean everything up and check the cylinder size then order some new rings and put it all back together again. Hopefully for a long time lol

IMG_20230913_221618807.jpg

3 hours ago, Gwbarm said:

Good idea to go ahead and put new rings in it cylinder should be fine.

I see this cylinder has been bored out but I have a standard cylinder that's in almost perfect shape, would it be worth it to get rings for the good 1 up size piston and hone the good cylinder out for it or buy rings for the standard size piston? I have both and are good shape. Is there any pros and cons to one over the other

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 7:43 PM, Gwbarm said:

I like going back standard size if I can, I like keeping things as close to factory as possible, no reason really, but that’s your decision not going to make much difference either way.

Holy sweet FK I have been waiting almost 2 months for this gasket kit for the arctic cat. Finally got an update for it to be delivered by the 14th lol. 

I have the rings now so hopefully she will fire right up 

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2023 at 1:39 AM, Gwbarm said:

Thats great news! I hope everything works out , will be good to get it running after such a long wait. Thanks for keeping us informed, hearing it running will be worth the wait.

Just came on to post about a different bike. A 1992 quadrunner 300 but thought I would mention the king quad runs tip top now. I have no issues since. Need to replace a wheel bearing but besides that a1.. just in time too because now it's my plow bike. That diff lock is a dream