Quantcast

Suzuki king quad 300 idles great but Boggs when you apply throttle

Go to solution Solved by 97kingquad,

If the pump wasn't pumping enough to the carb it's weird that taking the airbox lid off helped lol

If you want more fuel into the carb just blow into the tube on the gas cap.  It will pressurize the gas tank and force fuel to the carb.  I have to do that once in a blue moon when the tank is low.

17 minutes ago, 97kingquad said:

I have fixed a few other quirks along the way 

If you get some downtime while waiting on parts or something you can do the diff-lock in any range mod and the start in gear mod.  Should be easy to find on google.  It was 12 years ago so I forgot how to do it or I'd just tell you.

And if your pump looks like that I bet your brake cylinders don't look much better.  You can disassemble and hone them out with a dremel rotary tool with some sort of brush or buffer bit.  They sell rebuilt kits too.

97..  You should check the pump before wasting money on a new one you may not need.

That crud was on the vacuum side. The fuel side was fine. If it pumps fuel, and under a load it's fine.

Your symptoms don't as far as I know(because you haven't answered the question yet), come on after a few seconds and as the bowl empties. 

There are systematic ways to diagnose these problems 97 and if you don't follow them you end up going around in circles, wasting a lot of time, and money, and introducing new problems.

Test the pump 97..  It might be that the fuel tap is the problem.. testing the pump will test all the fuel supply system at once.. 

This is getting quite frustrating and so I'm bowing out.

If you want help 97, message me.

19 minutes ago, Mech said:

97..  You should check the pump before wasting money on a new one you may not need.

That crud was on the vacuum side. The fuel side was fine. If it pumps fuel, and under a load it's fine.

Your symptoms don't as far as I know(because you haven't answered the question yet), come on after a few seconds and as the bowl empties. 

There are systematic ways to diagnose these problems 97 and if you don't follow them you end up going around in circles, wasting a lot of time, and money, and introducing new problems.

Test the pump 97..  It might be that the fuel tap is the problem.. testing the pump will test all the fuel supply system at once.. 

It may not be the pump but I am going to replace it anyway. It doesn't bog on hills now I have enough power and speed to get to about 15km in first. I can go through the gears as long as I stay below half throttle. 

37 minutes ago, JustRandy said:

If you get some downtime while waiting on parts or something you can do the diff-lock in any range mod and the start in gear mod.  Should be easy to find on google.  It was 12 years ago so I forgot how to do it or I'd just tell you.

And if your pump looks like that I bet your brake cylinders don't look much better.  You can disassemble and hone them out with a dremel rotary tool with some sort of brush or buffer bit.  They sell rebuilt kits too.

I don't really need mods I just want a decent bike

25 minutes ago, Mech said:

Lol I don't understand how you can be so dramatic about my bikes issues, how do you know I am not testing the pump? 

You can bow out if you like I am not gonna beg you to stay if you are going to make snarky comments about my actions towards my investment. 

You don't have a leg to stand on when it comes to what I look into and what I replace. I am asking for advice and tips not direct orders from someone who doesn't know exactly what is actually going on Besides what you have been told 

This is what happens when mods don't want to get involved.  Moderation means calm things down.

It's like cops showing up to a crime scene and saying they don't want to take sides or get in the middle of it.

Someone here is doing something wrong and it should be pointed out by a person of authority or 2 or 3 members in agreement so we can learn to get along better.

We could produce a lot of interesting content if we could find harmony.

5 minutes ago, JustRandy said:

This is what happens when mods don't want to get involved.  Moderation means calm things down.

It's like cops showing up to a crime scene and saying they don't want to take sides or get in the middle of it.

Someone here is doing something wrong and it should be pointed out by a person of authority or 2 or 3 members in agreement so we can learn to get along better.

Well the thread is over 250 now lol 

2 hours ago, JustRandy said:

I sent you both a message. I think everyone’s point of view and suggestions are valuable. What’s not valuable is the extra banter that goes on from opposing views. All the banter does is increase the post count and discourage people from participating. The topic starter gets to pick the solution from posts made within the topic. That really should be it. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Admin said:

All the banter does is increase the post count and discourage people from participating.

Banter increases the content, which is what you want, right?

Also I've received at least 2 compliments on the thread for the content and the suggestion to "keep it up".

What is unwanted is the off-topic snide jabs and ridicule out of jealously that starts fights.  That is the element that needs addressed.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, JustRandy said:

Banter increases the content, which is what you want, right?

Also I've received at least 2 compliments on the thread for the content and the suggestion to "keep it up".

What is unwanted is the off-topic snide jabs and ridicule out of jealously that starts fights.  That is the element that needs addressed.

No, I don't want that and please don't "keep it up". Please consider the readers...

10 hours ago, JustRandy said:

Is the quad fixed now?  What was the solution?

@97kingquad please mark the post that solved your initial issue when you started this topic. Use the Mark as Solution link. image.png

97, Because of the angle i dont see how you could put one in like the idle adjustment screw. What i have done so i can set the air screw while its running is either use a 90 degree screw driver, mine is a craftsman, or i have a bosch screw driver bit set that comes with a little ratchet the bits fit into, i have used that, i have also taken a screwdriver heated and bent it to the correct angle you need. All of these worked for me. It may be possible to do what you ask, but i have never tried it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 97kingquad said:

Okay question for you guys. Is there a way I could replace my sir fuel screw with something like my idle screw adjustment so I don't have to remove the carb to tweak it? That way the bike can be running when I adjust it?? Anyone do something similar?

Mech made a post about that a while back https://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/topic/16053-carby-adjusting/#comments

I told him it was a good idea but it resulted in a fight nonetheless.

Edited by JustRandy

2 hours ago, Admin said:

No, I don't want that and please don't "keep it up". Please consider the readers...

Sorry.  I did consider the readers.  Here is one:

gw.thumb.jpg.391445a94a2e89dd221324af194bca05.jpg

gw2.thumb.jpg.f42f66fc724b84844d6826d1107ac6cb.jpg

I had positive feedback and I didn't know anyone was objecting to content.  I thought everyone was objecting to the drama.

My thread at atvconnection has 2.25 million views.  What's the ad revenue for that?  I guess I'm confused on the goal.  I thought you'd like content.

If you're wanting to generate a database of solutions like quora then it seems like it's defeated by the fact that people routinely won't devote the time to look up answers.  That has always been a problem on forums, even before smartphones.  Often the first reply to a question is "Did you do a search?"

Dispensing answers to repetitive questions without chatting and having some fun sounds a lot like employment.  Then it's not really about helping people for the fun of helping people but inflating the solution score.

In light of my thoughts please advise how you'd like me to proceed and I'll decide if I want to participate further.  Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

And as Randy was saying, there's a tool thread in here somewhere.

That tool is a bit more complicated than you need. All you need is to drill a hole in a bit of thin beading wood(10x30), put a 4mm diameter bolt through the hole with a washer on the bolt, then get a coin about 25mm diameter, with knurling on it's edge, drill a four mill or less hole through it's center and press it onto the bolt so the bolt cn just turn but not wobble too much. Then solder the coin to the bolt, check how long the bolt needs to be to use for a screwdriver for that job, cut it off and file the end to a screwdriver end.

And Randy, you need to stop thinking everything is a "fight".. The worlds a better place than that, and people are better than that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mech said:

And as Randy was saying, there's a tool thread in here somewhere.

Yes, I posted the link to your tool thread.  https://www.quadcrazy.com/atvforum/topic/16053-carby-adjusting/#comments

17 minutes ago, Mech said:

And Randy, you need to stop thinking everything is a "fight".. The worlds a better place than that, and people are better than that.

Call it what you want but it devolved into a perpetual disagreement that didn't get anywhere.

In spite of that there is a lot of priceless info on that thread about carb tuning.

6 hours ago, Admin said:

@97kingquad please mark the post that solved your initial issue when you started this topic. Use the Mark as Solution link. image.png

It is not yet solved 

50 minutes ago, Mech said:

How can it be that you can't lower the clip 97 ?  It must have 3 or 5 grooves, and you need to take the clip down to the middle one, or the second one up. Explain how it can't be done please ?

It has four and it's on the fourth

4 minutes ago, Mech said:

Yeah but 97 you need to raise the needle..  You have to put the clip in a lower groove.

Okay, isn't that going to let more fuel flow? Whereas I can almost hit max rpm without the airbox cover so doesn't that contradict the issue?

Just now, 97kingquad said:

Okay, isn't that going to let more fuel flow? Whereas I can almost hit max rpm without the airbox cover so doesn't that contradict the issue?

Also I'm out in it now riding the trails. It works fine besides not getting peak throttle. I can get up to around 45-50 km/h in fifth 

If it's backfiring into the airbox at about half throttle then it's too lean.

If it's backfiring or going flat and gaspy sounding at close to full throttle, and possibly backfiring a bit, then picks up when you throttle off very slightly, it's more likely to be the main jet, but otherwise, between 1/4 and 7/8 it's the needle.

2 minutes ago, Mech said:

If it's backfiring into the airbox at about half throttle then it's too lean.

If it's backfiring or going flat and gaspy sounding at close to full throttle, and possibly backfiring a bit, then picks up when you throttle off very slightly, it's more likely to be the main jet, but otherwise, between 1/4 and 7/8 it's the needle.

I did find an issue with my main jet so I need to wait for the new one before I dig into more things. It's running fine as it is for now but I want the rebuild kit before I tinker with the carb more 

Just now, 97kingquad said:

I did find an issue with my main jet so I need to wait for the new one before I dig into more things. It's running fine as it is for now but I want the rebuild kit before I tinker with the carb more 

What rebuild kit do you suggest and if I replace the carb completely?

Did you get the jet sizes at the last strip-down 97 ?

If you have the jet sizes you can check if they are correct for the setup in the online parts places.

The airbox lid thing.. I told you, they are very sensitive to the airbox and filter.. Most cv carbys are. They need it all good and an oiled air filter..

1 hour ago, Mech said:

Did you get the jet sizes at the last strip-down 97 ?

If you have the jet sizes you can check if they are correct for the setup in the online parts places.

The airbox lid thing.. I told you, they are very sensitive to the airbox and filter.. Most cv carbys are. They need it all good and an oiled air filter..

Yes I know, I asked if there's a specific king of oil I buy for it? And the airbox is all good. Some jets don't have anything on them... That's why I am going to replace them 

2 hours ago, JustRandy said:

If the carb has to be tuned so far away from stock then something else is wrong.

Or it's missing pieces