Quantcast

What's a good size ATV to start a 10 year old on?

• Ajmboy changed the title to What's a good size ATV to start a 10 year old on?

A big part of deciding how big a quad  to start a 10  year old on depends  on the father and the lessons  he teaches the kid .. Are you a risk taker that  drives  on the insane edge, or a cautious driver ? It makes a huge difference seeing the lessons you teach in your own  driving habits.  Smaller, lighter quads are easier for a preteen to  handle,  but on easy drives  on trails  they  can  handle  larger ones. I would look at  90cc ones for a good balance between reasonable power  and  lighter weight  and they'll  be  sufficient for adults too in most riding  scenarios.

Edited by davefrombc
  • Like 2

i started on a 01 polaris sportsman 500cc at 13.  id go with a older honda recon 250 (or comparable size in another brand atv) for a 10 year old to start off with if hes driving it unattended.  i later bought another sportsman 500 and let one of my friends little brother drive it he was 9 its all about having respect for the machine you know your son and what he can handle.

personally i would not let a pre 14 year old drive a cvt 500cc and bigger atv by himself however ive let much younger folks drive my atvs with me sitting right behind in case anything goes wrong.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There are also the youth side x sides. 
they are just big enough for an adult to get in the passenger seat and instruct while they are learning. Most have a means of governing the vehicle speed. They also have seat belts. Many kids are racing them by the age of 6 or 7. Polaris Ranger 170 is one model. 

• 3 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Forum Topics

• By BuckBilly
      Good morning to all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Let's see if we can make this a daily event.
    • By kawasig
      Hello there
      I'm having a problem finding a quality carburetor for a 1993 Suzuki Quad Runner lt-f 250 2x4. I find a lot that have 3-4 star ratings. And all so far don't have the right throttle Cable inlet at the top. The last one I got 4 star on Amazon has a threaded cable sheath rest that could be partially drilled to work. I would prefer to get one I don't have to modify. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated!
    • By p5200
      Can someone please tell me what size socket I need to remove the valve cover? Thanks! 🙂
    • By adr94
      Hey,
      I am new to quads and I'd like to know more and be able to repair my BRUIN as much as I can.
      I bought a cheap YAMAHA because I know there is parts on the market and they can be repaired. 
      I hope I will learn a lot of things in this journey.
    • By vlxerdon
      Hello from southeast Georgia. Was gifted a 2000 Yamaha bear tracker with out a carb or battery and looking like it had seen better days. Was told it had sat for about three years. Explained a lot. Put a carb on and a battery in and it started right up. Surprised the heck out of me  Anyhow as stated in my opening I am  78 years old with a very long motorcycle backgground but brand new to atv's. Anyone else out here from Georgia? Would like to meet up with some folks for a ride or two. Looks like a great site. Thanks for having me. 
      Don