Quantcast

2005 Suzuki King Quad Battery Question

LMI

Hi all.  New to the forum & quads.  Seems like a great place full of info.

I just recently picked up a 2005 Suzuki KingQuad LTA700.  I need a battery.  I've been reading up on conventional vs AGM types.  I have a Royal Distributing and Canadian Tire.  RD has 2 types avail for my year/Model a battery YTX16-BS CRANK $75, and BATTERY YTX20CH-BS YUASA $140.  Neither of these is the type from the manual FTZ16-BS.

from what I can tell... I think the only difference is the capacity with the $75 unit rated at 14 AH/10HR and the $140 unit rated at 18 AH/10HR ... which is the rating in the manual for the FTZ16-BS.  How much does this make a difference for nearly x2 the cost?

And about the models/type numbers.... what is important to know ... they all end in "-BS" but are the other details relevant or just manufacturer naming?

Thanks, I think its 4Ah difference.  I guess my concern was that with EFI, fuel pumps, headlamps, aux headlamp, taillights, warmers, electronic display... that somehow the bike couldn't supply that load once running ... and required the extra capacity to slowly drawn down... 

The lower priced YTX16-BS is 230 CCA, and the YTX20CH-BS is 270.  Although I will use in spring & summer I expect most hrs used will be fall for hunting.  I am then assuming the that CCA in colder weather would be lower than rated and thus the larger unit would give me a safety margin of sorts.

Is my thinking of the drawn down incorrect... and that once running all stock accessories could be managed by the power generations of the bike?

The  alternator   will power all  the  electronics and recharge the battery .  Yes,  cold weather will make the  quad draw more  on starting  cold. The CCA  is the  Cold Cranking Amps rating.  it  is  less than what is available  when  warm.  I searched on the  3  batteries . and found that yes, there is a 4  AH  difference  rather than  2  as I assumed from their  part numbers . You'll  notice  the  OEM  battery   has a  16  in its  part number, but actually an  18  AH rating  while the   cheaper one  with the 16  in its  id  is actually  only  14  AH The  expensive  one   has a 20   , but  only 18  AH  rating ..  Manufacturers  playing  confusing games with their  part  numbers.  The  BS  in the  battery  id  means it is a sealed battery. About the only difference to  me   in the  AH  capacity of the  batteries  is   in how  long  it will  crank  over the engine before  it is  depleted. Once running , the   alternator will run the  quad and recharge the  battery.   No quad  maker  makes one where  the  charging capacity  is  less than the  power  draw.  To  me ,  the  only rating that  makes  much difference is the  CCA. That is the  one that determines whether it will  start the  motor in the  cold

• Like 1

thanks a bunch...

Considering often times I will be alone I'd rather (with appropriate gear as I do when I snowshoe) worry less about the battery state.  The main difference with back country adventuring by snowshoe or by Quad, is that the distance/time I travel on foot to get in is the same distance/time to get out.  But with a Quad a breakdown once you are in is a heck of a walk out.  I'm going to have to spend some time locally learning the bike before I have to rely on it.

On the battery topic, I found this link.  It refers to UPS batteries, but batteries are batteries I guess. and it explains the kC value from the Suzuki manual but I think you are right and those are nuances we probably don't care about as long as the bike starts... but for reading benefit, here it is. LINK

Many UPS  batteries  are designed to   have a  long ,  low  amperage draw down..  They  do  not   usually  have the  high discharge ability  of  starting  batteries and are  unsuitable  for quads or bikes.   Make   sure  if you  go that  route  to  check the  CCA  rating on them if you go that route .  The batteries in the  larger  units  would  likely  be  fine if  their dimensions  fit the  battery  box.

I'd suggest  getting  one of the  new Lithium  ion   jump starters  to   take in your  emergency  kit  on your  quad. They  are  compact,  lightweight  and have the  power  to  boost  a  car. They're a bit  pricey ,  but handy  to  have for   power  peace of  mind if you're out alone .  Many of those  jump starters also  have  a  5 v outlet that  can  be  used to  recharge  a  cell  phone or  any other  accessory  that uses   USB  recharging or operation.

Edited by davefrombc
  • Like 1