Quantcast
Jump to content

  • Do you own an ATV, UTV or SxS? Join our Community Forum!

    QUADCRAZY ATV Community and Forum are FREE to join! We keep our ATV, UTV, and SxS forums clean and user friendly. All first time posters in our forums will have to wait to have their content reviewed and approved. Once your first ten posts are approved, you will no longer need to go through a forum post approval process. To bypass the approval process with immediate access and a NO ADS experience in our ATV, SxS, and UTV forums, consider subsribing to a Premium Membership

Oil leak 1985 suzuki 250


Recommended Posts

It's meant to have an O ring under there. It may be that the O ring has gone hard and possibly flattened. It's also possible that the cover has got distorted around where the nuts are as the cover has been drawn down onto the O ring. Take the cover off and rub it on a bit of wet and dry paper on a flat surface. Check if it's sanding on the three corners before anywhere else, and if is touching on the three corners then keep rubbing till the contact is all the way around. They use a new O ring.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Mech said:

It's meant to have an O ring under there. It may be that the O ring has gone hard and possibly flattened. It's also possible that the cover has got distorted around where the nuts are as the cover has been drawn down onto the O ring. Take the cover off and rub it on a bit of wet and dry paper on a flat surface. Check if it's sanding on the three corners before anywhere else, and if is touching on the three corners then keep rubbing till the contact is all the way around. They use a new O ring.

Thanks for the response , I ordered a new filter and it comes with the 2 o rings needed (one small in behind the filter one large in front ) , should be here by Wednesday, pretty excited 

 

do you have any clue on how much oil my bike should take ??

Edited by Mhatayas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Mech said:

No, because I'm not sure what model bike you have.

You could download a manual, which will be handy for you to have, or you could likely find out what oil it needs and how much from an oil company site.

1985 Suzuki lt250ef, can’t find any manuals online , there is one for download on here , but I need to make 10 posts before I can download it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most of the 250s held about 2.2 quarts, start with 2 quarts and check it with the dipstick, add slowly when it gets on the stick, it will fill up fast, dont overfill, you might also check for a crack like Mech said they do warp and if it warped and was torrqued down to close the gap the housing cover may have cracked, had this happen before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Gwbarm said:

Most of the 250s held about 2.2 quarts, start with 2 quarts and check it with the dipstick, add slowly when it gets on the stick, it will fill up fast, dont overfill, you might also check for a crack like Mech said they do warp and if it warped and was torrqued down to close the gap the housing cover may have cracked, had this happen before.

There is no dipstick it is just a screw on cap .. there is a sight glass and on the casing it says 1600ml , some sources say that isn’t enough oil which I don’t know who to believe . How far up is the oil supposed to go anyway ? To the top of the sight glass ? Beyond ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are sometimes two lines going across the sight glass, one just above half way up and the other just below half way up. You're meant to put the oil in, run the bike for a couple of minutes, turn it off and wait for about a minute, and then check it's between the lines.

Edited by Mech
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mech said:

There are sometimes two lines going across the sight glass, one just above half way up and the other just below half way up. You're meant to put the oil in, run the bike for a couple of minutes, turn it off and wait for about a minute, and then check it's between the lines.

Sweet thanks for the tip . I’ll know for sure now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Mech , I got the leak taken care of , there was a lot of crud buildup on the casing , so I sanded it off with sandpaper , now I’m having another problem…. 
 

I added oil till it was between the 2 marks on the sight glass , but after a run it is completely black and can’t see the oil level at all. I really don’t wanna drain the oil out again . Think I can shove one of those pipe cleaners down and see if I can clear the glass a bit and determine oil level ? There’s no dipstick it’s just the sight glass . But a flexible pipe cleaner might be able to touch the inside of the glass .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The blackness will be the oil. The glass doesn't normally get so dirty you can't see in. If you could see into the glass before you added the oil and can't see into it now, it's oil you are looking at. Try jacking the bike up on that side and watch the glass. The oil will run to the other side of the bike and you should see the level drop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...