Quantcast

2016 Arctic Cat 500 Oil Leak

I have a 2016 Arctic Cat 500 and recently noticed some oil leaking on the engine block to the right of the oil filter. It's near two metal lines going in and out of the engine block. I think one of the lines is called an engine oil line. I have a photo I'm going to try and attach. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to start tearing into the engine if I don't have to. I think maybe a gasket or something blew around one of these lines. The ATV runs fine otherwise. Doesn't overheat or anything.

IMG20240313170054.jpg

The oil's higher up the engine than the oil pipe, so it's possible that that oil leaked from the oil filter, or got there when the filter got changed.

It doesn't really look wet either, which would suggest it's not leaking now or recently.

I'd use some fuel and then the garden hose to wash it clean and then keep an eye on it, it may not leak at all, and if it does you will be able to see where it's come from if you look before it's spread the oil about.

That's what got me. I think it was like that last Fall but I was busy doing other things and forgot about it. There's quite a bit of oil down on my skid plate and the oil is a little low. I haven't really ran it much this Winter. I'll clean it good and see what happens. It just concerns me because it's my #1 go-to and the newest one I own. Thanks for your input.

Well clean it, start it up and watch it while it's running for a few minutes. If oil starts appearing then that's your leak. If it doesn't leak go for a ten minute ride and recheck for oil leaking, if it's still no leak go for a half-hour ride.

Under that oil cooling pipe flange there will be a rubber O ring I'd think, or possibly a gasket. The oil filter will have a built in rubber ring for sealing so you could try turning that about a 1/8 turn if it's not already tight. The oil filter should seal at only hand tight, sort of wind it down till the rubber seal touches then about another half to one turn. If the filter was put on without a wipe of oil on it's sealing rubber it might have bunched up and not be sealing properly. If it is the filter leaking then you could undo it until the seal comes off the mating surface and then tighten it down hand tight again.

Quite a bit of oil is not good, looks can be deceiving sometimes, maybe oilier at the bottom not showing in the photo. From what i see in the photo the side cover gasket might have failed, you can try checking the bolts to make sure they are torqued correctly , dont overtorque they will break, i know from expierience, but you could check them to make sure they have not loosened over the years and hope that does it.