Quantcast

• Join Today, It's Simple and FREE!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Mike56

400 kodiak starting mystery

2000 kodiak 400 4x4 ultramatic sometimes it will start with the starter and sometimes all I get is a buzzing from the starter solenoid, took it to the shop and he found nothing wrong other than a possible starter relay which he changed, it started and he thought it was fixed so I brought it home, started fine, unloaded and parked it, went back later and same old buzz from the solenoid, did that about three times and started on the fourth, has a new battery, cdi box and starter solenoid but this is driving me batty! 

This is a loose or corooded wire/connection. 

something that’s been missed! It could be the battery wire, the part of the wire that’s crimped to the connector at the battery or the connections to the relay etc. I would take each connector off one at a time and inspect  for corrosion and put a pair of pliers or crimpers and tighten up just to be sure.  

Then go to the starter button on the handle bars and make sure that the contactor on the start button are good as well.  

Use contact cleaner as well .

Process of elimination. 

• Like 1

I'm having a similar issue except mine wont even click unless I turn the key off and back on a couple of times.

Don't overlook the obvious make sure your battery has at least 12.5 volts to begin with and of course as others have pointed out loose or corroded cables

• Like 1

When the brushes in the starter motor get worn down, the starter will work intermittently.

Try tapping on the starter motor with a hammer while pressing the start button next time it doesn't start.  If it suddenly turns over, it's the brushes in the starter motor that need replacing. You can buy a starter brush plate for $25 instead of buying a whole new starter.

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.