Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

Ahren Longo

Rancher 420 Rear end rebuild

My 07 Rancher rear end started roaring on me the other day. I took the inspection plug out this afternoon and to my dismay it was dry full of rusty nasty crap. The pinion was loose and the axle seal was pissing out oil when I tried to top it up. I bought it used and usually check stuff over better but I missed that.  Muuuhhh :( Now I gotta take it apart and fix it. Not gonna be expensive, just time consuming. Hopefully the gears aren't too torn up. I cleaned out the nasty crap with some brake-clean and put in some fresh gear oil. Much quieter now just leaks out all the gear oil cause the seals are shot. I'll fill it up with some lucas and limp it along till I feel like fixing it.

Its good you know how to tear it down. Hopefully no internal damage. Those quads are normally great quads. The rear end is often overlooked.

Yeah their not to terribly complicated. Nothin but some nuts bolts and a few cotter keys.  I'm pretty sure the gears are O.K. Just a little corroded. I'll post some pictures when I get it torn apart.

I have a Honda rancher and those atvs are built like a tank.  They're worth spending time to keep them running.

I've ridden Hondas for years. I won't own anything else as far as ATVs go. My brother has a 98 artic cat(Suzuki). Its got nice suspension but nowhere near the power.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.