Quantcast

• Do you own an ATV? Join our Forum!

As a member, you can post in our forums, upload your photos and videos, use and contribute to our downloads, create your own member page, add your ATV events, and even start your own ATV club to host your own club forum and gallery.  Registration is fast and you can even login with social network accounts to sync your profiles and content.

malones78

2000 Polaris 500cc Scrambler

Looking for some help. Unit won't start. not yet sure if fuel or ignition. while pushing around I broke a wire under grip and now it won't turn over. I'll be fixing that first. what should I test or look for if ignition problem?

IMG_2679.PNG

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

Edited by malones78
one more picture

20 minutes ago, malones78 said:

Looking for some help. Unit won't start. not yet sure if fuel or ignition. while pushing around I broke a wire under grip and now it won't turn over. I'll be fixing that first. what should I test or look for if ignition problem?

IMG_2679.PNG

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1912.jpg

I May be interested in selling this too! $700 as is

Welcome to Quadcrazy, you will have to start with the usual suspects first.  

As far as spark goes the kill switch, battery etc and inspection of the wiring.

Pull the spark plug out of the engine and plug it back into the spark plug wire and crank the engine while holding the bottom metal part of the plug against the metal part of the head of the engine.  You should see a spark by the plug, if so great!

Second is the fuel.  Has the bike been sitting? And if so was the bike drained and ran out of gas before it was sitting.  If not then I would think the carburetor is full of old junked up fuel.  That will need to come off and be taken apart, cleaned etc. if your not familiar with this work there is u tibe and this forum to help you along.  

Thanks! I know how to check spark at the plug but don't know where it comes from or how to check where it does. where it gets power to a coil or other pieces of ignition and I have carb covered too. Guess i should just spray ether through it again and see

Can’t hurt to try. But def check for spark first so you are not pissing into the wind. Most bikes that have been sitting loose spark due to the cdi having moisture in it that happens over time.  

The stator coil sometime  could go bad if you try to jump start it with a car or to big a power pack. 

Or it could be all fine with the exception of a dirty carb, old gas and a dirty gas tank! 

Check the fuse by the starter relay.  

Bottom line is go over it all.  We will help you out so get after it and pick some tools and a starting point.  

👊🏻

Thanks. didn't know about that fuse. I mostly work on cars/trucks and riding and push mowers. Have to finish pulling eng/trans in '99 blazer 4x4 aagggghhh. they wont split so might have to remove front differential to get sump clearance to get them out